The TV Series?

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The TV Series?

Postby Spirish » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:14 am

Simon wrote:"House of Cards" is my current series. Four more episodes to go in the first season. Doesn't grab you as fast as "Breaking Bad" does, and it takes you a little bit longer (and probably some research online, I am not too familiar with details of American policies of the White House and the Senate) to understand all the connections, but it slowly creeps into your system. Obviously very well-made series. Would still rank "Boardwalk Empire" higher in the genre of "men with power trying to achieve their goals by intrigues".

Boardwalk empire was amazing but it felt like it los a bit of steam towards the end
Another party's over /And I'm left cold sober
My baby left me for somebody new
I don't wanna talk about it / Want to forget about it
Wanna be intoxicated with that special brew

Spirish
Spread Your Wings

All things must pass

Postby Elessar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:25 am

I'm a bit late to the Walking Dead party, but I've been binge-watching it and I'm currently halfway through season 3. It's excellent!

Westworld was this year's stand-out show for me, but Stranger Things was a phenomenon, season 3 of Black Mirror was brilliant and I also enjoyed a little-publicised show called The Girlfriend Experience and the TV version of The Exorcist.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Elessar wrote:Westworld was this year's stand-out show for me...

I really want to see that.

Currently making a start on series 2 of The Man in the High Castle. I really enjoyed the first series, even if most of what I really loved about it was going on around the main characters rather than involving them.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 am

I've now finally gotten round to watching Twin Peaks, and I'm halfway through season 2- decided to get up to speed, seeing as season 3 will come out in May. How did I miss this when it first aired? It's f*cking brilliant- it could easily have been the inspiration for such series as Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes, Lost, The X-Files and many others. To be fair, I was a different person back in 1990, so I don't think I would have *got* this series back then, but now- wow, just...wow. :shock:

Tarkus

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:20 am

If you haven't seen it yet, Mr Robot is worth a try.

It's basically all about a VERY good computer hacker, if there IS such a thing. The lead actor is Remi Malek, the bloke who's playing Freddie in the forthcoming movie, it also stars Christian Slater.

Another one I quite liked from last year, was Second Chance, all about a hi-tech firm that discovered a way to bring someone back from the dead, in this case a cop who got violently murdered, so he could latch onto his son, who's also in the Police and so hopefully help solve his own murder. Obviously, the resurrected guy doesn't look like the cop who got murdered, that would be too easy.

As regards terrestrial TV, I'm really looking forward to the new series of Line Of Duty, airing later this month. The first three series, as far as I'm concerned, count as some of the best Police based TV that this country has ever produced.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:31 am

Spirish wrote:
Kes wrote:Just caught up on the latest season of "Game of Thrones".

It's all going on in the seven kingdoms, innit?

Definitely... A lot of questions answered and it feels like next season is going to be action - packed :-D

Saying of which, from what I've heard, the upcoming season is only supposed to be seven episodes, and won't air until a lot later in the year, probably July.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WeeMann » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 am

Kes wrote:
Spirish wrote:
Kes wrote:Just caught up on the latest season of "Game of Thrones".

It's all going on in the seven kingdoms, innit?

Definitely... A lot of questions answered and it feels like next season is going to be action - packed :-D

Saying of which, from what I've heard, the upcoming season is only supposed to be seven episodes, and won't air until a lot later in the year, probably July.

Season 7 will still be 10 episodes, it's season 8 which will be shorter (I read 6 episodes).
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Kes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:40 pm

OK, well spotted.

Other things I'm waiting on, the new seasons of House Of Cards, and Orange Is the New Black.

Things already going in "the box", Homeland and a new series called APB, which at the moment looks alright.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby bigV » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:08 am

Anyone at all excited about Star Trek: Discovery? Jason Isaacs has been cast as the captain. He's a tremendous actor, I can't wait for the show to start.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:37 am

I started watching the Lethal Weapon series but only made it to about 5 minutes before the end of episode 2 before I just couldn't take it any more.

It's utterly bland, forgettable, generic crap in the worst possible way.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Re Game of Thrones...

"The seventh season of the fantasy drama television series Game of Thrones is set to premiere on HBO on July 16, 2017. Unlike previous seasons that all consisted of ten episodes, the seventh season will consist of only seven episodes."
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:40 am

Kes wrote:Re Game of Thrones...

"The seventh season of the fantasy drama television series Game of Thrones is set to premiere on HBO on July 16, 2017. Unlike previous seasons that all consisted of ten episodes, the seventh season will consist of only seven episodes."

Ah, I hadn't seen this, it seems both seasons will be shorter - 7 and 6 episodes respectively.

https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/dev ... n-8-116935
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:21 am

They'll probably still price point the DVD and bluray boxsets at the same cost though, knowing what these companies are like.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 am

Kes wrote:They'll probably still price point the DVD and bluray boxsets at the same cost though, knowing what these companies are like.

Yeah, the last season of Breaking Bad was split in 2 and sold at normal prices.

WeeMann

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:17 pm

I think they had something to prove with Breaking Bad, probably the first really successful show that never made it to a UK TV network, terrestrial or satellite.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Previous

Return to Another World