Page 8 of 10

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:47 am
by Simon
"House of Cards" is my current series. Four more episodes to go in the first season. Doesn't grab you as fast as "Breaking Bad" does, and it takes you a little bit longer (and probably some research online, I am not too familiar with details of American policies of the White House and the Senate) to understand all the connections, but it slowly creeps into your system. Obviously very well-made series. Would still rank "Boardwalk Empire" higher in the genre of "men with power trying to achieve their goals by intrigues".

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:02 pm
by action
baywatch
X files
mcguyver
the simpsons
beavis and butthead
the thundercats
prison break

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:48 am
by Tarkus
Another series I'm enjoying now is Vikings. Quite a few bits and pieces of the show, with regards to costume, culture and events, are historically accurate, or relate to events that did actually happen.

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:22 pm
by Tarkus
Currently enjoying Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain...

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:46 pm
by Capt. Den Ronson
action wrote:baywatch
X files
mcguyver
the simpsons
beavis and butthead
the thundercats
prison break


:lol:

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:15 pm
by kurgan
The Prisoner
Ripper Street
Breaking Bad
Black Books
Twilight Zone (original series)

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:29 pm
by JLP
Simon wrote:"House of Cards" is my current series. Four more episodes to go in the first season. Doesn't grab you as fast as "Breaking Bad" does, and it takes you a little bit longer (and probably some research online, I am not too familiar with details of American policies of the White House and the Senate) to understand all the connections, but it slowly creeps into your system. Obviously very well-made series. Would still rank "Boardwalk Empire" higher in the genre of "men with power trying to achieve their goals by intrigues".


Just started watching this. It is a slow burner for sure but 4 episodes in and it is getting there. Not a patch on the UK original though.

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:00 pm
by Tarkus
You might enjoy 'The Strain'. It started off as a CSI kind of police procedural, with CDC officers investigating an airliner that landed at JFK, where all the passengers except four were seemingly struck down and killed by a mystery virus. As the series progresses it gets ever darker, as we discover that the actual 'disease strain' is an outbreak of vampirism. Given the recent alarm at trying to contain Ebola, it was very well done and cleverly realised. A welcome antidote to all that Twilight crap.

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:33 pm
by Tarkus
I've now discovered, and am enjoying season 1 of Elementary, CBS' version of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. I will go so far as to say that it is actually superior to Sherlock, so my original lists will now substitute Elementary for Sherlock.

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:07 pm
by Kes
Currently watching through Orange Is The New Black, another one where you really need to start empathising with the characters, before it grabs you.

Have Minority Report (a series based on the Tom Cruise film) in waiting for when I get through OITNB.

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:15 pm
by Elessar
Tarkus wrote:I've now discovered, and am enjoying season 1 of Elementary, CBS' version of a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. I will go so far as to say that it is actually superior to Sherlock, so my original lists will now substitute Elementary for Sherlock.


I've been watching it since it started and it's halfway through season 4 now. I continue to enjoy it, but it's not really Sherlock Holmes, it's just another US detective series. It loses its way a bit in season 2, gets good again in season 3, and season 4 so far hasn't found its feet yet.

Also, Jonny Lee Miller basically plays Derren Brown playing Sherock Holmes.

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:50 am
by Leigh Burne
I (re-)watched that Birtish miniseries Secret State, in which Gabriel Byrne unexpected becomes PM in the wake of the actual PM's death in a suspicious plane crash possibly linked to an industrial disaster. All very political conspiracy-ish. Great series. Only four episodes though.

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:38 am
by Kes
Just caught up on the latest season of "Game of Thrones".

It's all going on in the seven kingdoms, innit?

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:11 am
by Spirish
Sopranos
The Wire
West wing
Breaking bad
Game of thrones

Bonus:
Sex and the city (yes, you can start laughing now)
Love/ hate
House MD
Sherlock

Re: The TV Series?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:12 am
by Spirish
Kes wrote:Just caught up on the latest season of "Game of Thrones".

It's all going on in the seven kingdoms, innit?


Definitely... A lot of questions answered and it feels like next season is going to be action - packed :-D