The TV Series?

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The TV Series?

Postby Elessar » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Just finished Breaking Bad. According to this thread I started 4 weeks ago. That's not bad.
Excellent show, no more than 2 or 3 slow episodes, some truly shocking 'shout-at-screen' moments, and a great ending.

Can't believe people abused Lindelof re the Lost ending during and after the Breaking Bad ending though. The Breaking Bad writers are clearly Lost fans, and there are many nods to Lost, especially in the final season.

Lost remains comfortably my favourite show ever. Loving the finale and feeling increasingly in the minority just makes me feel special for 'getting' it, so haters - all you're doing is fuelling my ego by criticising it!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby pow wow » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Elessar wrote:I started Breaking Bad a couple of weeks ago. Been motoring through and I'm up to season 4 now.

I'd recommend quitting Dexter circa end of season 6. 7 and 8 do have their occasional moments but are overall a disappointment, and the ending nearly ruins the whole show. I will pretend the final few episodes didn't happen and the show got cancelled.

I concur. I found the decline in the writing utterly depressing and nearly wept (with despair) at the final episode. It's probably the one show in a good while that I've put some emotional investment in and I felt I'd been robbed.

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:08 pm

pow wow wrote:
Elessar wrote:I started Breaking Bad a couple of weeks ago. Been motoring through and I'm up to season 4 now.

I'd recommend quitting Dexter circa end of season 6. 7 and 8 do have their occasional moments but are overall a disappointment, and the ending nearly ruins the whole show. I will pretend the final few episodes didn't happen and the show got cancelled.

I concur. I found the decline in the writing utterly depressing and nearly wept (with despair) at the final episode. It's probably the one show in a good while that I've put some emotional investment in and I felt I'd been robbed.

I really wanted to like it as well. I take no pleasure in being disappointed by any kind of sequel or follow-up. Sadly, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't feel anything other than disappointment with Dexter's final season.

Breaking Bad on the other hand...fantastic from start to finish. But still not as good as Lost. Although I like the little nods to Lost in the final season!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:29 pm

pow wow wrote:I concur. I found the decline in the writing utterly depressing and nearly wept (with despair) at the final episode. It's probably the one show in a good while that I've put some emotional investment in and I felt I'd been robbed.

That's my problem with American series - I find that more often than not they drag them out so long they inevitably get shit before they finish.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Currently into a couple of Scandanavian series that have been around a while.

The Killing and The Bridge.

Done Season One of both of them, and am currently well into the second season of The Bridge. Got the other two seasons of The Killing lined up ready to go.

The interaction between the two lead characters on The Bridge is brilliant, Swedish police DI Saga (Sofia Henin) and her Danish counterpart Martin (Kim Bodnia) has loads of little twists going on it.

Definitely give a thumbs up to that one. Best thing I've watched in a foreign language with subtitles in a VERY long time.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Tarkus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:29 am

Tarkus wrote:I used to be a fan of Merlin, but that finished, and after series four of Being Human completely changed the cast and ruined the premise and story for me, I stopped watching that, too. At the moment, my top 5 are...

Doctor Who
Game Of Thrones
The Borgias
Red Dwarf
Sherlock

If we're talking 'of all time', then it'd be

Doctor Who
Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes
Being Human (Series 1-3)
Red Dwarf
Sherlock

Now that The Borgias has finished (And I'm gutted and rather annoyed that they didn't bother with season 4 to complete the various storylines), and that I've rediscovered an old classic thanks to the wonders of DVD, this is a new list.

Current faves.

Doctor Who
The Big Bang Theory
Game Of Thrones
Red Dwarf
Sherlock

All-time faves.

Doctor Who
Blakes' 7
Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes
Red Dwarf
Sherlock

Tarkus

Postby jimbo » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:07 pm

I've said it before, but I'll say it again The Big Bang Theory is a work of genius in my opinion, especially the first 5 series, incredibly funny allowing repeated viewing, which is very rare for me with any TV.

In fact while I'm on the subject, the 7th series is I think a return to form, after the slightly disappointing 6th series. The only annoying thing over here in the UK is that they keep putting back the new episodes of the current 7th series.

In fact it's really pissing me off now! They are just trying to drag it out to last the whole year it seems, but it has got ridiculously annoying. They had a break from the new episodes over Xmas, which was fair enough I suppose, and then started them again last month, but just showed 2, yes just 2 more new episodes before having another "break" until later in the year :evil:

Anyway the good news is that they have just commissioned another 3 series after this one, to take it through to 10 series ending in 2017, and may keep it going after that as well, the potential is there to keep it going I reckon :-D

Oh and they must be building up to Sheldon and Penny getting it on at some point, it's just got to happen :lol:
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Montavilla » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 pm

I haven't read this thread in awhile, but I agree that the problem with American television is that most shows keep getting renewed until they don't sell -- which means they keep going long after the story is over.

Which is one reason I admire Lost. They did some unnecessary stuff in the final season, but they picked an end date and they stuck with it. I love the ending they built to. I also loved the entire Battlestar Galactica series, including the end, which apparently had their fans howling in disappointment. It's probably different when you have to wait each week for a new installment than when you binge watch a show, but I loved, loved, loved that final episode of BG. (The only disappointment in the whole series was how the "prophecy" played out.)

But I really came to post because I remembered someone mentioning Blackadder as one of their favorite shows. I can't believe I didn't put it down on my list. It would certainly make my top ten. I came upon a cool discussion about the finale episode of series four at the A.V. club and thought it might interest people here.

25 Years Later, Blackadder's finale is still devastating
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby magicshoes » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:53 pm

oh lord...my television addiction rivals my movie and music addiction LOL

Currently I am watching:

the following
Blacklist
CSI - Vegas
Criminal Minds
Survivor
Resurrection
about a boy
Walking Dead
Law & Order SVU
Chicago PD

Coming up I will be watching Game of Thrones and after that True Blood

ets: I recently discovered Sons of Anarchy on NetFlix! I will also be watching Orange is the New Black when the new season returns.

Looking at that list it's amazing I find time to do anything outside of the house LOL
My Soul is painted like the wings of butterflies

magicshoes
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Anybody been watching Falling Skies?

Already on the third season, and I'm still not sure about it. It's like a guilty pleasure, I know it's a bit weak, but still...
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby buskersude » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:56 pm

I used to be a real TV addict but not anymore.
Right now this is really all I watch:

Eastenders (yeah, I know)
Detectorists
Europa Cup (Spurs fan)
Doctor Who
QI
You can be anything you want to be...

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby JLP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Just watched The Missing. Excellent start.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:17 am

I need a new series. Any suggestions? I'm hearing various things about Dracula, Gotham, House of Cards...any thoughts?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Montavilla » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:05 am

Has anyone here watched the Avatar: The Last Airbender series? Or its sequel, Legend of Korra? The first was geared toward kids, and the second towards teens, but it's some of the best storytelling I've ever seen on a TV show.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:01 am

Elessar wrote:I need a new series. Any suggestions? I'm hearing various things about Dracula, Gotham, House of Cards...any thoughts?

I'm really interested in Gotham and I've heard very good things. I've taped the first few episodes off the TV but I just haven't had a chance to watch them yet.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Another World