Star Wars VII and Beyond

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Star Wars VII and Beyond

Postby WeeMann » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:06 pm

I can't believe I'm the only geek here who's looking forward to next Christmas. There's loads happening in the Star Wars universe and the new film is only part of it.

First up we've got Rebels, the new animated series taking over from Clone Wars, which was cancelled when Lucasfilm was bought by Disney.

Trailer

This is set 5 years before A New Hope and deals with the birth of the rebellion. The style looks a little more cartoony than Clone Wars, but as it's basically the same team putting it together I'm guessing the quality will be as high.

Next up is the film, Episode VII. The first cast members were announced recently, following a script read-through in April (click pic for details):

Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, C3PO and R2D2 are all in the new film and it's believed that 1 or 2 of Han & Leia's children will feature.

Today, two more cast members have been announced:

http://starwars.com/star-wars-episode-v ... istie.html

Lucasfilm recently announced that all the EU novels published over the last 30 odd years will no longer be considered canon. I have a theory that thios could be due to one simple reason - Chewbacca. The film is set 30 years after Return Of The Jedi and, in the novels, Chewie has been killed off in this timeframe. I think by making this announcement it allows them to retain a popular character - there was uproar when it was announced he was being killed off.

In the novels, Han & Leia are married and have 3 children, Jacen, Jaina and Anakin, the youngest of whom dies quite young, the eldest becoming a Sith Lord. Luke is married to Mara Jade, previously employed as The Emperor's Hand, and they have a son, Ben, who is, predictably, becoming a strong Jedi. Luke has set up a Jedi Academy and is now Grand Master of the Jedi Order. Although Lucasfilm have stated that the storyline won't follow any of the books, I think there's too many good stories for them to totally ignore what has been written.

The year after Episode VII is released, there is the first of three standalone films coming out. It has long been rumoured that these will include one based on Boba Fett. These will be released alternately with the three main films over the next six years.

If, like me, you're a Sci-Fi geek, the next few years are looking exciting.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Re: Star Wars VII and Beyond

Postby Tarkus » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Colour me cautiously optimistic. I'm not a big fan of the prequels, but I'm glad the series is in good hands. Disney got the visuals spot on for John Carter (A shame they dropped completing the trilogy to do Star Wars, but I live in hope.) and Abrams did brilliantly well in re-booting Star Trek. The return of familiar faces is also piquing my curiosity, so I'd like to see how this turns out.

*edit*

Some lovely pics in this article of filming in Abu Dhabi for Tatooine.

Link to story

It seems they want to use physical effects and model work over using CGI, which I'm all for- the original trilogy was much the better for those FX.

Tarkus

Postby bowmarteacon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:21 pm

I hope you were joking when you said that you were the only Star Wars fan on here, and although I loved the prequel trilogy, the original trilogy was the best, and if something happened and I woke up as a human-like creature, I'd want to be a Twi'lek, just so I could have those awesome lekku.

bowmarteacon
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:30 am

I'm actually vaguely optimistic about this ever since I realised the only Star Wars films I really like are the ones not directed by George Lucas (yes, that means I'm not such a fan of the original - sue me).

Tarkus wrote:It seems they want to use physical effects and model work over using CGI, which I'm all for- the original trilogy was much the better for those FX.

This is great news, although they said the same thing about the fourth Indiana Jones film, and that ended up being a CGI shitfest.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kat » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:19 am

I might be the only one who's thinking: "Oh, no.., not another one..." :?

Kat

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:24 am

Part of me feels that way, but the absence of Lucas makes me, at the very least, curious.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:48 pm

The Millenium Falcon under construction:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=101189
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby bowmarteacon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:Part of me feels that way, but the absence of Lucas makes me, at the very least, curious.

Understand that, as it is a Lucas creation, but JJ is good when it comes to stuff like that. Also hope that they use the iconic music and the opening paragraph. My only area of curiosity, is why they haven't told some of the story from the Sith point of view.

bowmarteacon
Spread Your Wings

Postby Non-stop Dancer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Last edited by Non-stop Dancer on Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by E. Strider on Sun Feb 30, 2017 6:66 am, edited 39 times in total.

This is what you wanted, this is what you're gonna get!:

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/t ... sive&csz=1

Non-stop Dancer
Spread Your Wings

The Legend Will Return June 2017

Postby Tarkus » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:55 pm

WeeMann wrote:The Millenium Falcon under construction:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=101189

The X-wing there looks very much like the old Ralph McQuarrie concept art for the first three films, judging by the engine intakes.

Tarkus

Postby Tarkus » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:59 pm

bowmarteacon wrote:
Leigh Burne wrote:Part of me feels that way, but the absence of Lucas makes me, at the very least, curious.

Understand that, as it is a Lucas creation, but JJ is good when it comes to stuff like that. Also hope that they use the iconic music and the opening paragraph. My only area of curiosity, is why they haven't told some of the story from the Sith point of view.

He should do, you could definitely hear the original TV theme in the music for the Trek re-boot, and he kept in, and made a central theme of 'Space, the final frontier...'

Tarkus

Postby soxtalon » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Well John Williams is composing so the music will be there....and the crawl will be as well. They aren't going to deviate that much.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:10 pm

WeeMann

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Is anyone else really hoping Max Von Sydow's role is a cameo as Ming the Merciless?

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Tarkus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:21 pm

It seems Harrison Ford broke his ankle on set today...

Tarkus

Next

Return to Another World