Star Wars VII and Beyond

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: Star Wars VII and Beyond

Postby WeeMann » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:43 am

At last we have the first teaser trailer:

phpBB [video]
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby buskersude » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:52 pm

I've read so many of the books its silly. I wonder how much of what I've read will be featured in the movies to come.
I've always been a fan, but never a purist, meaning I was not as offended as many by the second trilogy.
I don't doubt things will be slightly different again under Disney's reign, but no matter cos its all good.

I'm betting the returning cast members (Hans, Luke et al) will not feature much though, certainly not on a physical level. How old is Harrison now? :lol:

Still, looking forward to it.
You can be anything you want to be...

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby soxtalon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:51 pm

buskersude wrote:I've read so many of the books its silly. I wonder how much of what I've read will be featured in the movies to come.
Still, looking forward to it.

Very little. They purposely stated that none of the books happened in canon continuity. That's not to say they won't cherry pick some ideas or characters perhaps but they seem to want to paint a completely new canvas.

I too didn't hate the prequels like some others. I'd bet on a decent contribution from Harrison, Mark, and Carrie during the first film and transition them out as the trilogy moves along....

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:09 pm

I think they decided to remove the EU for one large, furry, reason. Chewbacca.

Had they followed with the EU as canon, time would need to be devoted in this first film to explain why Chewie was dead to all those people who haven't followed the various novels, etc. Once they'd made that decision it makes sense to then cherry pick what they want to keep. Likewise I wouldn't be surprised to not see Mara Jade as Luke's wife now, despite the fact that I think she's been a great character.

I'm also a fan of the prequels. I think that Episode 1 was always going to be very difficult as it had to set up new characters, existing characters in new scenarios, and set up the political background over which Palpatine maneuvered in order to get himself into power. That doesn't really set itself up for an interesting story, but it does set up eps 2 & 3.

Beyond this, if you delve a little deeper, Lucas did something very interesting in the story telling, beyond the parallels that most people will spot. It's a very deep discussion, so I won't try to explain too much, but if you have some time to spare, have a read of this article as it exposes a far more complex bit of story telling than is first apparent:

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/ring- ... -prequels/

Put simply, it's fairly clear that episode 1 is a parallel to ep 4, ep 2 to 5 and 3 to 6, particularly with Luke's journey as compared to Anakin's, but the reverse is also true, with 1 and 6 echoing one another and 3 and 4 also. It'll mess with your head, but when you start looking at corresponding screenshots from the various films, it all seems to make perfect sense.

Although Lucas hasn't talked about this style specifically, it's well known that he constructs his stories with a complexity far beyond mere beginning, middle and end...
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby soxtalon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:32 pm

Very intriguing read Weeman! Thanks for that!

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby buskersude » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Whew! Just finished reading that epic essay. Fascinating! Great post WM!
Some of it I had worked out for myself but wow, such detail in there. Certainly does Lucas' rep no harm!

Have to say though, it kinda puts a downer on the prospective Disney efforts. I can't see the future movies following that kind of epic planning.
I heard Disney plan on making one movie every year... anyone know more?

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby Leigh Burne » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:26 pm

buskersude wrote:I heard Disney plan on making one movie every year... anyone know more?

The news I heard was that they plan on doing a full "Episode" movie every two years, with spin-off films in the intervening years.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WeeMann » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:28 pm

I believe the plan is eps VII, VII and IX two years apart with standalone films in between, the rumours being that these are based on Boba Fett, Kenobi and one other character.

WeeMann

Postby buskersude » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:11 pm

WeeMann wrote:I believe the plan is eps VII, VII and IX two years apart with standalone films in between, the rumours being that these are based on Boba Fett, Kenobi and one other character.

Well hopefully the new trilogy will live up to the legacy, and lets also hope the spin offs are better than the likes of Wolverine!

Though I can't remember the name, I read one the the 'bounty hunters tales ' books, featuring a sentient robot, and thought it was fantastic. I'd love to see, even a short film about that.

buskersude
We Will Rock You

thank you fd...

Postby soxtalon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 am

There are also rumors of a "space heist" type film set in the Rebels era...and a young Han Solo film as well.

They are going for a TON of Star Wars flicks....kind of like the Marvel Universe...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby docterzaius » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:46 am

I could not have been more pleased with the new trailer. I want to see Han Solo. A part of me is fearful that he will be a minor charter and his kids are flying the falcon. I'm not sure they're ready for the Kessel Run :D

docterzaius
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:59 am

It must just be me who isn't excited by the trailer at all.

Yeah, it was nice to see the Falcon flying again, but the prequels and the recent round of Lucas original trilogy f*cking ("Nooooooooooooo!") have pretty much killed my interest in new Star Wars stuff.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:57 am

I guess I'll resurrect a really old thread, this seems like as good of a place as any for this....

But has anyone seen this yet?

phpBB [video]

:shock: Interesting bringing a character, and a pretty major one, from the Expanded Universe in.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby WeeMann » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:04 pm

Yeah, looking forward to this. There's rumours he may also show up in Rogue One.

WeeMann

Postby icy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Next installment will be called The Last Jedi.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions