Sam Smith

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: Sam Smith

Postby The Milkman » Mon May 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Nicki79 wrote:The UK numbers are the same on Wikipedia, where I was looking.



Right but you said it only sold 265,000 copies in the rest of the world. You didn't count his first week sales in the US. If you count the UK, only the certified albums sold in other countries, and his first week US sales he has sold over 1 million copies. That number is low because you are failing to count what's not certified and the other 26 weeks on the US chart.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby Nicki79 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 pm

The Milkman wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:The UK numbers are the same on Wikipedia, where I was looking.



Right but you said it only sold 265,000 copies in the rest of the world. You didn't count his first week sales in the US. If you count the UK, only the certified albums sold in other countries, and his first week US sales he has sold over 1 million copies. That number is low because you are failing to count what's not certified and the other 26 weeks on the US chart.

Thanks for clarifying that. On the page, where I looked, are no US numbers, because there is no certification from theUS mentioned, so I couldn‘t see these.

And for Germany: I actually only copied the numbers of the most successful single per album. See: I‘m not that interested in Sam...

All in all, the numbers are absolutely impressive. ( In Germany there are more impressive ones by other artists though ;) . It took Sam a while to sell the concerts over here..).

It will be interesting to see, if he will be able to (halfway) hold this level. That’s really hard.
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby The Milkman » Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 pm

Sam just played three nights in Germany and the places held between 16,000-20,000 people.

phpBB [video]


You say he's not that big? Correct me if I'm wrong but Adam played way smaller clubs on TOH tour in Germany. What does that make Adam?
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby The Milkman » Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 pm

phpBB [video]


Sam 17,000
Adam 1500 or 3000, either way it's way less than Sam's venues. Really can't see how you say Sam is not that popular in Germany but you make like Adam is well known.
Last edited by The Milkman on Mon May 21, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby The Milkman » Mon May 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Nicki79 wrote:See: I‘m not that interested in Sam...


Yet you look at this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby icy » Mon May 21, 2018 11:18 pm

The Milkman wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:See: I‘m not that interested in Sam...


Yet you look at this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16505
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby icy » Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 pm

Nicki79 wrote:He isn’t nearly as popular in my country (Germany). And his last album sold these insane 600.000 copies in the UK and 865.000 worldwide? (Wikipedia, my browser didn’t allow me to open your link.). That means he sold „only“ :lol: 265.000 (certified) albums in the rest of the world. Poor guy. But The UK seems to love him an awful lot.

I‘m absolutely not into his music, but I come regularly „across“ him by following Adam on social media. They keep in touch and share a few friends. One of Sam’s old friends from his school was recording with Adam last month.

And I watched Sam‘s Instagram Story on his birthday: He seems to be really sweet, but as a woman I couldn’t help but feel: „Girl, grow some balls!“ :lol:

I think he has balls, but what do you mean exactly?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16505
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby Nicki79 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:41 pm

The Milkman wrote:
phpBB [video]


Sam 17,000
Adam 1500 or 3000, either way it's way less than Sam's venues. Really can't see how you say Sam is not that popular in Germany but you make like Adam is well known.

I know. Sam sold 3 of the biggest venues and the fans had a great time, I suppose. Selling these took its time though.

I don’t know, why you bring up Adam. I always said, he is barely known in Germany. But maybe you should look up other artists in Germany. How about Helene Fischer? She sells the same venues (and more), but each 5 days in a row. Sam is nowhere near some other artists in Germany. He might be that big in your country, but not here.
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby Nicki79 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:49 pm

icy wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:He isn’t nearly as popular in my country (Germany). And his last album sold these insane 600.000 copies in the UK and 865.000 worldwide? (Wikipedia, my browser didn’t allow me to open your link.). That means he sold „only“ :lol: 265.000 (certified) albums in the rest of the world. Poor guy. But The UK seems to love him an awful lot.

I‘m absolutely not into his music, but I come regularly „across“ him by following Adam on social media. They keep in touch and share a few friends. One of Sam’s old friends from his school was recording with Adam last month.

And I watched Sam‘s Instagram Story on his birthday: He seems to be really sweet, but as a woman I couldn’t help but feel: „Girl, grow some balls!“ :lol:

I think he has balls, but what do you mean exactly?

I‘m sure he has.
I can’t show you, what I meant, because his story doesn’t exist any longer. And there was no pun intended. He was just talking to his phone, reading the messages on his live-Instagram story, saying hello in the sweetest tone to everyone for minutes, then filming his dressing room and thanking everyone for flowers and presents. It was absolutely sweet. But I haven’t ever heard any guy talk like that. He sounded like a completely overwhelmed little kid, who has never seen something like that. He definitely didn’t sound to me like a grown man.
Just my feelings. I hope, you can live with that explanation.
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby The Milkman » Mon May 21, 2018 11:54 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
I don’t know, why you bring up Adam. I always said, he is barely known in Germany. But maybe you should look up other artists in Germany. How about Helene Fischer? She sells the same venues (and more), but each 5 days in a row. Sam is nowhere near some other artists in Germany. He might be that big in your country, but not here.


I could probably do that for every country. Sam is not God and I never said he was. He's still a pretty big name globally and it's not just in the UK like you were implying. Remember your "poor boy" comment? And to say he's not big in Germany and then turn around and say he played three of Germany's biggest venues is a little odd to me. Well not really because I'm used to Glambert logic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby icy » Mon May 21, 2018 11:56 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
icy wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:He isn’t nearly as popular in my country (Germany). And his last album sold these insane 600.000 copies in the UK and 865.000 worldwide? (Wikipedia, my browser didn’t allow me to open your link.). That means he sold „only“ :lol: 265.000 (certified) albums in the rest of the world. Poor guy. But The UK seems to love him an awful lot.

I‘m absolutely not into his music, but I come regularly „across“ him by following Adam on social media. They keep in touch and share a few friends. One of Sam’s old friends from his school was recording with Adam last month.

And I watched Sam‘s Instagram Story on his birthday: He seems to be really sweet, but as a woman I couldn’t help but feel: „Girl, grow some balls!“ :lol:

I think he has balls, but what do you mean exactly?

I‘m sure he has.
I can’t show you, what I meant, because his story doesn’t exist any longer. And there was no pun intended. He was just talking to his phone, reading the messages on his live-Instagram story, saying hello in the sweetest tone to everyone for minutes, then filming his dressing room and thanking everyone for flowers and presents. It was absolutely sweet. But I haven’t ever heard any guy talk like that. He sounded like a completely overwhelmed little kid, who has never seen something like that. He definitely didn’t sound to me like a grown man.
Just my feelings. I hope, you can live with that explanation.

He was being Sam...nothing wrong what he did or sounded like, IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16505
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby Nicki79 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 am

The Milkman wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:
I don’t know, why you bring up Adam. I always said, he is barely known in Germany. But maybe you should look up other artists in Germany. How about Helene Fischer? She sells the same venues (and more), but each 5 days in a row. Sam is nowhere near some other artists in Germany. He might be that big in your country, but not here.


I could probably do that for every country. Sam is not God and I never said he was. He's still a pretty big name globally and it's not just in the UK like you were implying. Remember your "poor boy" comment? And to say he's not big in Germany and then turn around and say he played three of Germany's biggest venues is a little odd to me. Well not really because I'm used to Glambert logic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gosh. :roll: Now you are upset, that I didn’t mention the US. I based my post on the numbers I had. Sam isn’t a superstar in every country, that’s all I said.
And the „poor boy“ was actually not negative, but the complete opposite: it was irony, but I forgot, that people from other countries mostly don’t get that. Sorry, my fault.

To sell these three venues doesn’t make him a star in Germany. Maybe you know the Scottish band Runrig? They sell two of them as well (in Berlin they play somewhere else). Just to get a perspective. Ed Sheeran sells the Olympic Stadium in Berlin twice this summer (75.000 x2). I could go on, but leave it by that.

I had no intention to diminish Sam’s success. I told you, his numbers in the UK are absolutely impressive. Here they are good, but nothing special. He barely makes the Top 10.
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby The Milkman » Tue May 22, 2018 12:16 am

I'm not upset at all, actually I'm amused. :lol: :lol: :lol:


I guess if Sam isn't a star in Germany, Adam is worst than a C-lister in Germany. Come on, the guy is selling 17,000-20,000 seat arenas. Sam is a pretty big name here but Ed is way bigger here as well. He's playing an 80,000 seat venue in Atlanta and Sam is only playing a 13,000 seat arena. Of course there are bigger names than Sam.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby Nicki79 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 am

Since Germany has more than 80.000.000 citizens, selling three of these venues is good, but nothing more. They are sold at least once a week, and there are many more than these three venues. You know, even QAL sold 6 of them with a completely unknown singer in 2015.

Adam isn’t a C-lister here. Only people, who are really interested in music (or Queen), know him at all. Two of his songs are well known, but not him.
 
Nicki79
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:52 pm
Location: Germany
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Sam Smith

Postby The Milkman » Tue May 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Nicki79 wrote:Since Germany has more than 80.000.000 citizens, selling three of these venues is good, but nothing more.


:lol: If you say so.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

PreviousNext

Return to Another World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests