Adam Lambert.

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: Queen + AL to tour again Summer 2018?

Postby eiricd » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:41 pm

as I just wrote in anthe thread;
If lambert was a talented writer, he would have had huge sucess by now. I think 2018 marks 10 years since he launched his career.
furthermore; if he worked with the right writers, major success should have come his way by now.
In lambert's case it's not a case of lack of attention in the media etc. if the product is good enough, everything else is in place for him

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Adam’s third album was co-written with Max Martin and Shellback who have won Grammys with Taylor Swift!

As Adam’s totally unofficial PR lady and second Mom ( :lol: ) , I really believe he has staying power! In today’s fast-paced world artists become stars overnight, reach a peak, flame out and become has beens very quickly!

I would love it if Adam is more like Tony Bennett or Neil Diamond and like the energizer bunny keeps on going and going!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:29 pm

JLP:
As you come across as someone who is not 100% obsessed with Lambert, let me ask you this. Can he ever be really successful as a solo artist and what does he need to change to be successful as say Adele, Ed Sheeran etc?

Interesting questions. I thought about that and I wrote down, what I think about it. It’s entirely JUST my opinion, as an Adam-fan, who came in in 2015 and followed Adam very closely (online) since then. The answers got very long, if you’re not interested, just scroll.

Will Adam ever be as successful as some of the biggest stars today?
My honest opinion: I don’t see that coming. So no. And that I say with a grain of salt, because in my opinion, he has everything that’s needed as a singer and performer. I still think, if he gets very lucky, he could get there, because most people in the music industry, who did work with him, praise him afterwards. But all things considered that’s a loooong stretch and after 9 years in the business and at his age not very likely to happen.

As for what he needs to change: That’s difficult.
One thing, he could change: I think he needs to find his own style in music. It’s not really clear, where to put him and what’s his audience. American Idol called him the “Rocker”, so that was his image right afterwards. Then his first album was mostly pop, because that’s the music he wanted to make. Then he sings with Queen, who are (mostly) considered a rock-band. Then his last album was pop / edm, meaning that fans he gathered by touring with Queen mostly don't really enjoy that. Since Adam doesn't play an instrument and isn't really experienced in writing his own songs, he is at a disadvantage here. Let's just say, to find an identity with ever changing co-writers, isn't easy.

He needs to overcome the stigma of coming from a talent-show. (That has almost happened by now, since the media stopped calling him that all the time).

Something he definitly needs, but can't really change, is a wider recognition on US-radio. I followed very closely for many weeks the statistics of Ghost-Town’s radio-plays in the US, after it was released in 2015. What I found out was, that his label really supportive and tried a lot to get him played. And in many markets it worked. But there were also parts of the US, were Ghost Town was almost never or never played. It simply depended on the powers that be. The places, where he didn’t get airplay, are by the way the parts of the US, where Adam didn’t tour last time.

Without being played all over the country, I don’t see a chance for him to be really successful in the US-charts. And if he’s not in the Top 10-20 in the USA, he actually has barely a chance to get his music played in Germany (could be similar in the UK? And many other countries). The pop-stations here always look at the US-charts. Songs that are successful there, get automatically played. That’s how it works. Since Adam’s label released and promoted Ghost Town worldwide, he had a bigger chance to get his music played in other countries . But nevertheless, he’s an US-artist and if his music isn’t successful there, our stations rather play a German or better-known artist. (Ghost Town was a success in Germany, but not a major hit.)
So, in the end, the powerful leaders in the US-radio industry make or break an US- artist.

What needs to change that Adam gets more radio-play?

One thing is really great music, that people want to hear. So, a real hit is necessary.
BUT: I’m not sure, that this would be enough make Adam a worldwide star like Adele or Ed Sheeran. As long as the powers that be in the US don’t want him to be successful, he won’t be. So, what else needs to change?

1. He needs an audience, that’s attractive for radio
When I saw Adam’s fans in the US, I was surprised. To me it looked like they were mostly women, aged from 30/40 to 70. At least these were the people, who were the majority at meet-and-greets, organised by radio-stations, and the people, who I saw in every front row of his US-concerts. In New York and LA (and possibly in some other cities) it was much more diverse audience, but all in all, I wouldn’t call Adam’s core fan group in the US attractive for radio-stations. (By the way: His audiences in the rest of the world are much younger!)

2. Adam needs to stop acting gay OR most of the powerful people in the music-business in the US (plus their listeners) must overcome their homophobia.
Since I don’t see one or the other happening, I don’t see a possibility for Adam to be a super successful artist in these times. (By the way: No, I don't want him to change.)

Let’s face it: Adam is gay and he shows it. Had Adam not come out directly after American Idol and had he not shocked the conservative part of America (and some more) with his first TV-appearance after idol at the AMAs, I think he would have had the chance to become a real superstar.
He had millions of fans after idol, so radio would have played him. But not after the TV-station received thousands of complaints by viewers after that performance. His appearances on TV shows afterward got immediately cancelled and I’m sure he still suffers from a lot of the consequences. He’s simply not considered as a “safe” artist. It’s getting better and by now, it’s much better. But it’s not forgotten. Even when he was booked as the main-act for the New-Year’s Eve celebration in Singapore 2015, there was a petition, that asked the organizers to stop his appearance, because they didn’t consider Adam an appropriate artist and that his appearance wasn’t suitable for their youngsters. There were about 15000 people, who subscribed. Looking at the petition’s origins: it was organized by conservative Americans.

As for now: About a year ago, Adam was very well received as a judge and mentor on “X-factor Australia”. He was loved by the media and fans and contestants really liked him. He gathered many new followers on Instagram. Interesting was, that he lost about 5000 Instagram-followers, immediately after he came home and posted pics of himself partying with drag-queens and gay couples. To me this indicates, that many of the new fans were not ready for the real Adam. And as long as Adam shows his real colours, that will always happen. That’s what I mean, when I say that he’s not for everyone.

Although it’s almost impossible in my eyes to become a worldwide superstar for Adam, it’s great to see, that it DOES work in other parts of the world:
Especially in Eastern Europe there are mostly young girls and also some boys aged 16-25! In Poland and Czechia, he is regularly in teenager-magazines and all of his songs are regularly played on the radio. Even “Two Fux” made it into their charts, although it was never officially released to radio. The regular released singles of his last albums were all very successful. And in little Finland he filled the biggest arena of the country (15000 people) all by himself in 2013.
This proves to me, that the music is not Adam’s main problem. If he gets airplay, appears in TV-shows and magazines, teenagers love him. He’s a nice guy and good-looking enough. The music is important, but Adam’s music isn’t bad. The same goes for the big superstars: not every song of them is good. The question is, if people get to hear it.

In the end, I would summarise: To be a really big star, Adam needs to be more successful in his home-country (as the key-country in the music-industry for American artists). I don’t think, he has a chance, without the majority of the people in the US-music-industry being on board. Maybe with streaming becoming more important, it can be easier, but even then: he simply isn’t for everyone. Adam, as he is, will always have problems to be appealing for a general audience, unlike Adele or Ed Sheeran.
Last edited by Nicki79 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby The Milkman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:58 pm

CNB wrote:Adam’s third album was co-written with Max Martin and Shellback who have won Grammys with Taylor Swift!

True, but it's well known that Max hired a bunch of new songwriters to write the material for that album.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Thank you Nick for the well reasoned and articulate answer. I guess if he had made it really big after AI, selling millions of albums and selling out arenas in the USA and elsewhere, then QAL would not have happened.

I follow a certain band (they are weather releated :lol: ) and they never get radio airplay except on a station called Planet Rock. Shame really as they are bloody good. But they are not and never will be mega superstars.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Of course if AL was bigger in his solo career, he would not be touring with Brian and Roger. I don't see Sam, Ed riding on coattails the way AL is.
I wish he would put more time, attention and focus in his own career. I think it's too late for him to be a mega star. He will be known as the guy who toured with Brian and Roger even than his own music.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby liliane » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Great post Nicki, agree 100%.

liliane
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:08 pm

JLP wrote:Thank you Nick for the well reasoned and articulate answer. I guess if he had made it really big after AI, selling millions of albums and selling out arenas in the USA and elsewhere, then QAL would not have happened.

I follow a certain band (they are weather releated :lol: ) and they never get radio airplay except on a station called Planet Rock. Shame really as they are bloody good. But they're are not and never will be mega superstars.

At least with that weather related band there is not excuses on top of excuses by their fans as to why they don't get much airplay. ;)
And I'm ok with that weather related band not being mega stars. I enjoy them the way it is. :cool:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:55 pm

JLP wrote:Thank you Nick for the well reasoned and articulate answer. I guess if he had made it really big after AI, selling millions of albums and selling out arenas in the USA and elsewhere, then QAL would not have happened.

I follow a certain band (they are weather releated :lol: ) and they never get radio airplay except on a station called Planet Rock. Shame really as they are bloody good. But they are not and never will be mega superstars.

No, QAL would probably not have happened then. Maybe a few single appearances, but not the tours.

And as I said before, I don't think bands or singers need to be superstars to enjoy them. Actually, none of my favourite singers and groups (other than Queen) are regularly (if at all) played on the radio as well. And I don't have the feeling, that they are missing something. Adam stated once, that he values the fact, that he can play big arenas with Queen and at the same time walk the streets without being recognized too often. He is happy with what he's got.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:28 pm

icy wrote:... I wish he would put more time, attention and focus in his own career. I think it's too late for him to be a mega star. He will be known as the guy who toured with Brian and Roger even than his own music.

He is working on his 4th album until QAL hits OZ and NZ. And he will have a lot of time for his solo-career, when QAL has ended.
As for what he will be known for: I can't say yet. But he is still young. And I don't see him vanishing into obscurity after QAL. What I see is a very talented singer, who's also ambitious, hard-working and stubborn. He was lucky to get QAL in the end. But before that he worked hard to get a foot into the recording business (AI was only his last try.) and then to make himself a name as an excellent singer. He won't let that go easily. Maybe he will be known as a great solo-artist. Maybe as a musical-star on Broadway. Or he will become the next Simon Cowell. Or something completely different. Even until now, he's done a lot of very different things.
Touring with Brian and Roger will always be seen as a very important part of his career. But in the end, it will (hopefully) only be a short time/part of it. (And a part, that I love ;) :lol: ).

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
icy wrote:... I wish he would put more time, attention and focus in his own career. I think it's too late for him to be a mega star. He will be known as the guy who toured with Brian and Roger even than his own music.

He is working on his 4th album until QAL hits OZ and NZ. And he will have a lot of time for his solo-career, when QAL has ended.
As for what he will be known for: I can't say yet. But he is still young. And I don't see him vanishing into obscurity after QAL. What I see is a very talented singer, who's also ambitious, hard-working and stubborn. He was lucky to get QAL in the end. But before that he worked hard to get a foot into the recording business (AI was only his last try.) and then to make himself a name as an excellent singer. He won't let that go easily. Maybe he will be known as a great solo-artist. Maybe as a musical-star on Broadway. Or he will become the next Simon Cowell. Or something completely different. Even until now, he's done a lot of very different things.
Touring with Brian and Roger will always be seen as a very important part of his career. But in the end, it will (hopefully) only be a short time/part of it. (And a part, that I love ;) :lol: ).

He isn't that young. If he was just starting out that would be one thing. Maintaining a career is something else.
Yea, he has done many different things, for me it's the music I will always think of him.
I think it's a but too late for ALs solo music to set the world alight. I remember watching Justin Timberlake progress through the years, and that was and still is amazing to watch.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:55 pm

icy wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:He is working on his 4th album until QAL hits OZ and NZ. And he will have a lot of time for his solo-career, when QAL has ended.

He isn't that young. If he was just starting out that would be one thing. Maintaining a career is something else.
Yea, he has done many different things, for me it's the music I will always think of him.
I think it's a but too late for ALs solo music to set the world alight. I remember watching Justin Timberlake progress through the years, and that was and still is amazing to watch.

He doesn't need to set the world alight. His last album was doing fine. It was enough, to be able to tour worldwide.
Something many artists would be more than happy to be able to do. Since he has gathered more recognition with Queen since then, I can easily see, that his next album could even be more successful. Sure, it's no superstar-level, but nevertheless successful.
And as you, I see him as a singer. But I'm not completely sure, that he won't branch out completely at some point and step behind the scenes. You never know with him.

Edit: Considering his age: I meant young in the meaning that, if nothing serious happens, he has at least 30 years of his career in front of him. If you’re only looking at him as a pop-singer, then he is old. ;)
Last edited by Nicki79 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby sharon20 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't see him fading into obscurity either Nicki, like you say he's hard working and ambitious so I'm sure there will always be something for him to do. He's his own worst enemy in some ways because he won't compromise or play the game just to get more followers or tone himself down to be more acceptable but he wouldn't be true to himself if he did so I don't blame him for that, in fact I admire him.

It will be interesting to see if Sam starts losing fans since his recent dressing in drag and pushing the gay thing a lot, when he was always quite low key about it before. He's been left out of the Brit Awards this year, hopefully that wasn't part of the reason. Hard to believe Adam lost so many followers because of a few instagram pics/vids, some very narrow minded people out there. I don't see why who he's friends with should matter, it's not like they wouldn't have known he's gay, he doesn't exactly play it down.

Incidentally I don't see topping the charts as the be all and end all, lots of bands/artists don't top the charts but still tour and have success, just on a smaller scale. Adam said he likes to do the small intimate venue's as well as the arena's so I'm sure if he gets to tour he'll be happy regardless. He loves live performing so it's all good.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:17 pm

sharon20 wrote:I don't see him fading into obscurity either Nicki, like you say he's hard working and ambitious so I'm sure there will always be something for him to do. He's his own worst enemy in some ways because he won't compromise or play the game just to get more followers or tone himself down to be more acceptable but he wouldn't be true to himself if he did so I don't blame him for that, in fact I admire him.

It will be interesting to see if Sam starts losing fans since his recent dressing in drag and pushing the gay thing a lot, when he was always quite low key about it before. He's been left out of the Brit Awards this year, hopefully that wasn't part of the reason. Hard to believe Adam lost so many followers because of a few instagram pics/vids, some very narrow minded people out there. I don't see why who he's friends with should matter, it's not like they wouldn't have known he's gay, he doesn't exactly play it down.

Incidentally I don't see topping the charts as the be all and end all, lots of bands/artists don't top the charts but still tour and have success, just on a smaller scale. Adam said he likes to do the small intimate venue's as well as the arena's so I'm sure if he gets to tour he'll be happy regardless. He loves live performing so it's all good.

There has been talk about AL being a judge on AI a few times. I think he filled in for Keith at one point, and he has appeared a few times since his season.
Believe it or not, all what could happen for him, it's the music that holds my interest. I want to see how that progresses. He has changed with how he said it would be, everything from blusey to the glam rock sound. We will hopefully see or hear about it sooner than later.
As for Sam. He isn't losing me as a fan. :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
icy wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:He is working on his 4th album until QAL hits OZ and NZ. And he will have a lot of time for his solo-career, when QAL has ended.

He doesn't need to set the world alight. His last album was doing fine. It was enough, to be able to tour worldwide.
Something many artists would be more than happy to be able to do. Since he has gathered more recognition with Queen since then, I can easily see, that his next album could even be more successful. Sure, it's no superstar-level, but nevertheless successful.
And as you, I see him as a singer. But I'm not completely sure, that he won't branch out completely at some point and step behind the scenes. You never know with him.

Edit: Considering his age: I meant young in the meaning that, if nothing serious happens, he has at least 30 years of his career in front of him. If you’re only looking of him as a pop-singer, then he is old. ;)

It depends music wise if he chooses to branch out of what he is in own for. For me, he is a pop dance artist. I know of others who have went to Q+AL concerts and we're surprised after giving his solo music a go, because it wasn't what they were expecting. Then again, many people that I know who went to see Q+AL it was to hear and see Brian and Roger play, not so much for AL if it makes sense. Some liked his solo music, some not so much, and that's fine. I don't know if they are interested in his future music, I really should ask.
One thing I know. Q+AL can't last forever. The test will be for AL when it's over. Maybe the biggest test since after AI and he came out. I wish the guy well.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions