Adam Lambert.

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: Queen + AL to tour again Summer 2018?

Postby The Milkman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:28 pm

sharon20 wrote: He's his own worst enemy in some ways because he won't compromise or play the game just to get more followers or tone himself down to be more acceptable but he wouldn't be true to himself if he did so I don't blame him for that, in fact I admire him.

Of course he plays the game and he even admits to it. RCA had control of what was on Trespassing. Adam said no matter what was on the album the Trespassing tour was 100% his vision. When he was talking about TOH in that Rupaul interview he said that album was Max's album. I even remember Adam saying less is more and that he was toning it down a bit for TOH. He is now saying he's going to release what he wants to release and he doesn't care about sales. Well, we will just have to wait and see what WB says about that.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:30 pm

sharon20 wrote:It will be interesting to see if Sam starts losing fans since his recent dressing in drag and pushing the gay thing a lot, when he was always quite low key about it before. He's been left out of the Brit Awards this year, hopefully that wasn't part of the reason.

I thought exactly the same, after I saw the nominations for the Brit Awards. I hope, it’s just that other artists have better music this time. Or that they got tired of his ballads. I‘m not a fan of Sam’s music, but don’t wish him ill either. We will see, how his career will develop.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby The Milkman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
sharon20 wrote:It will be interesting to see if Sam starts losing fans since his recent dressing in drag and pushing the gay thing a lot, when he was always quite low key about it before. He's been left out of the Brit Awards this year, hopefully that wasn't part of the reason.

I thought exactly the same, after I saw the nominations for the Brit Awards. I hope, it’s just that other artists have better music this time. Or that they got tired of his ballads. I‘m not a fan of Sam’s music, but don’t wish him ill either. We will see, how his career will develop.

Well it was a November release so it's eligible for nominations next year. I don't think Sam was low key about it. One of his videos showed him lusting for a man and he made damn sure in interviews that everyone knew he was gay. The Lay Me Down video has him marrying a man in it.
Last edited by The Milkman on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Nicki79 wrote:

As a Sam fan speaking here...I don't really expect or even want Sam to get nominations for his music every single time. I'm not shocked he dressed in drag, didn't get nominations...you won't see me blubbering about it.
Give people some credit, cause I think I can honestly say Sam dressing in drag had nothing to do with him not having noms this year. Please give people more credit than that. I'm not gonna cry homophobia about it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby sharon20 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Milkman
He executive produced Trespassing so I imagine the tour was his vision. If that's true about the album then maybe it would have been more successful if they'd let him have more control over it. In my opinion the singles released were the wrong ones. I assumed since he produced it he would have a lot of creative control. When he left RCA he got signed to Warner straight away so maybe he had to play the game a bit in the sense that they would only fund an album if he worked with certain people? He's not stupid, he's actually very analytical and astute so he'll go along with certain things, you can't work in the industry and not do, but he still doesn't compromise fully and stays true to his own vision of how he want's things. I suspect he went along with stuff on his 3rd album more than either of the other two so maybe now he's determined to do this one his way.

Re Sam, yeah it was late in the year so there's time yet.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 pm

The Milkman wrote:
Nicki79 wrote:

Well it was a November release so it's eligible for nominations next year. I don't think Sam was low key about it. One of his videos showed him lusting for a man and he made damn sure in interviews that everyone knew he was gay.

There you go, I was about to look up the info about release dates and eligibility for the Brit Awards ;)
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby The Milkman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:47 pm

sharon20 wrote:Milkman
He executive produced Trespassing so I imagine the tour was his vision. If that's true about the album then maybe it would have been more successful if they'd let him have more control over it. In my opinion the singles released were the wrong ones. I assumed since he produced it he would have a lot of creative control. When he left RCA he got signed to Warner straight away so maybe he had to play the game a bit in the sense that they would only fund an album if he worked with certain people? He's not stupid, he's actually very analytical and astute so he'll go along with certain things, you can't work in the industry and not do, but he still doesn't compromise fully and stays true to his own vision of how he want's things. I suspect he went along with stuff on his 3rd album more than either of the other two so maybe now he's determined to do this one his way.

Re Sam, yeah it was late in the year so there's time yet.

Executive producer title doesn't really mean much sometimes. Hearing Adam talking about it now pretty much confirms that it was just a title. RCA had control of what was on that album. When he was starting to record Trespassing he was talking about making a rock album. Well that album wasn't rock at all. It was just more wannabe top 40 pap.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby sharon20 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Icy

I doubt he'd have time to judge AI this year even if they offered it to him, I think the rumour started because someone asked if he'd do it if asked and he said yeah sure if I had time.

In an earlier interview he said his album was done but he's back in the studio last week and this and it sounds a ways off so maybe he's changing it up again or adding some new stuff, who Knows with Adam. He previously mentioned going in a blues/rock direction so I'm hoping that's still the case. Can't see it getting released before the end of the year, especially if the rumours of more QAL dates later in the year turn out to be true.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Re: Adam Lambert.

Postby liliane » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Thank you CNB and Montavilla for answering my question. As for me, I became a fan of Adam in September 2014. The first time I saw him perform was in Glee where he sang Marry the night. I had no idea who he was but just thought he was a great performer: great voice and great stage presence. So did my sister who was with me. At that point, I knew the name Adam Lambert as an artist but I've never heard any of his songs before nor knew much about him. And then that was it, did not try to find out more about him or anything...

And one day my sister sent me a link to his mad world performance on Idol. There was something about that song and that performance that made me watch it again and again. I then Wikipedia him and found out that he was known for his great voice and that he was currently the frontman for Queen. Having always liked Queen's music (the little I have heard at the time), that piqued my interest even further and greatly impressed me. I then YouTube his many performances and interviews. And that was it for me. I was really sad to learn that I had just missed QAL when they came to Montreal in July 2014. So for my vacation the following year, I made plans to go to the UK and attend three QAL shows. The shows were phenomenal.

I think Adam is very, very talented and seems like a very nice and authentic person. I don't know if he will ever become a superstar à la Ed Sheeran or Sam Smith, (i certainly hope he does) but I feel privileged to be able to follow his career.

liliane
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:52 pm

Milkman
I liked quite a few of the songs on Trespassing, just not the ones they released as singles.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Milkman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 pm

When Adam releases that rock/blues album he's always talking about I will say he's staying true to "his" vision. If he continues to release EDM top 40 trend albums I will say he's playing the game.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:59 pm

The Milkman wrote:When Adam releases that rock/blues album he's always talking about I will say he's staying true to "his" vision. If he continues to release EDM top 40 trend albums I will say he's playing the game.

I'm going to agree with you on this. I doubt he has the pull to do what he wants, but does he even know what sound he wants in his music? That changes often going by what he says.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby sharon20 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:00 pm

The Milkman wrote:When Adam releases that rock/blues album he's always talking about I will say he's staying true to "his" vision. If he continues to release EDM top 40 trend albums I will say he's playing the game.

Everyone plays the game to some extent, you can't get on in the world and not do but there's different levels. Obviously he needed a recording contract so he's limited to what they will allow him to do, maybe they wouldn't fund a rock/blues album because he doesn't have the typical rock persona and they might have felt it wouldn't sell. I think now after a couple of successful world tours with Queen he might have a bit more cred for them to take a chance on it, I hope so anyway.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby liliane » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Milkman, the thing is Adam probably likes pop/edm top 40 music. He seems like someone who has eclectic taste and he's always said that he likes all kinds of music (pop, funk, rock, blues...). I am sure that for most artists, they HAVE to listen to their label in some ways. Adam seems quite outspoken about his vision and ideas. If you read any interviews with the people who collaborate on songs with him, that much is clear. One example of him staying true to himself is his first album cover. That must have cost him a bit in sales for sure.
Last edited by liliane on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liliane
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:05 pm

The Milkman wrote:
sharon20 wrote: He's his own worst enemy in some ways because he won't compromise or play the game just to get more followers or tone himself down to be more acceptable but he wouldn't be true to himself if he did so I don't blame him for that, in fact I admire him.

Of course he plays the game and he even admits to it. RCA had control of what was on Trespassing. Adam said no matter what was on the album the Trespassing tour was 100% his vision. When he was talking about TOH in that Rupaul interview he said that album was Max's album. I even remember Adam saying less is more and that he was toning it down a bit for TOH. He is now saying he's going to release what he wants to release and he doesn't care about sales. Well, we will just have to wait and see what WB says about that.

Adam was the producer of Trespassing. Many of the songs on it have his handwriting on it: you can „see“, that they have personal meaning. Unfortunately RCA intervened and made him record and add two additional songs. These became singles. (And „Runnin“ was downgraded to a Bonus Song :evil: :roll: ). I consider this album still as his best.
For your entertainment was a compilation of rapidly recorded songs. Although written by or for established artists (Muse, Pink, Lady Gaga...), those were the “trash“ these artists didn’t bother to release. Not bad, one hit (WWFM), but not really Adam.
Album Nr. 3 (Original high) was a try to use the hit-machine Max Martin. He wrote WWFM, Adam’s first big hit. So Adam tried to repeat that. In the end he released a solid pop album with one hit (GT) and a second one (TOH) that could have been one, had it been a single (imo). But that album for me is missing Adam. I can‘t really see him in the lyrics. In most songs they are meaningless. „There I Said it“ and „The Original High“ are the only ones, where I can see his input. And TOH was the song, that Adam already recorded as a demo, before he worked with Martin and his group of writers. (Having heard the demo, I would add, that the original demo was better than the released song.)
Now I‘m glad, that the next album will have more „Adam“ in it. And I guess WB will make sure, that it’s not a complete mess. ;)

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Another World