Adam Lambert.

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: Queen + AL to tour again Summer 2018?

Postby sharon20 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Adam was the producer of Trespassing. Many of the songs on it have his handwriting on it: you can „see“, that they have personal meaning. Unfortunately RCA intervened and made him record and add two additional songs. These became singles. (And „Running“ was downgraded to a Bonus Song :evil: :roll: ). I consider this album still as his best.
For your entertainment was a compilation of rapidly recorded songs. Although written by or for established artists (Muse, Pink, Lady Gaga...), those were the “trash“ these artists didn’t bother to release. Not bad, one hit (WWFM), but not really Adam.
Album Nr. 3 (Original high) was a try to use the hit-machine Max Martin. He wrote WWFM, Adam’s first big hit. So Adam tried to repeat that. In the end he released a solid pop album with one hit (GT) and a second one (TOH) that could have been one, had it been a single (imo). But that album for me is missing Adam. I can‘t really see him in the lyrics. In most songs they are meaningless. „There I Said it“ and „The Original High“ are the only ones, where I can see his input. And TOH was the song, that Adam already recorded as a demo, before he worked with Martin and his group of writers. (Having heard the demo, I would add, that the original demo was better than the released song.)
Now I‘m glad, that the next album will have more „Adam“ in it. And I guess WB will make sure, that it’s not a complete mess. ;)[/quote]

Nicki yeah I agree about the demo version, it should have stayed as it was. I think he relinquished quite a bit of control over to Max'x writers on that album. I see some of his influence in quite a few of the songs but for me it's the style of singing that doesn't work, at least on some songs, too much falsetto which he doesn't need, I guess to sound more current pop, and the production was too processed.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby liliane » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:18 pm

Nicki, agreed again. I liked TOH and thought the album was more cohesive than his first two, but among all three, Trespassing was the most interesting album to me. Out of curiosity, which songs did you like on Trespassing? For me, I liked the darker second half much better. What about you Milkman? Did you listen to the album? If yes, which songs were the best for you? Thanks.

liliane
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Milkman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:40 pm

liliane wrote:Nicki, agreed again. I liked TOH and thought the album was more cohesive than his first two, but among all three, Trespassing was the most interesting album to me. Out of curiosity, which songs did you like on Trespassing? For me, I liked the darker second half much better. What about you Milkman? Did you listen to the album? If yes, which songs were the best for you? Thanks.

I hated Trespassing! I thought the lyrics were a joke and the music was so generic. The only song I liked was Runnin but he said Runnin so much that I got sick of it. IMHO TOH is his best album and even though the lyrics were pretty juvenile it still had about four strong songs on it.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:44 pm

I liked Adam’s TOH album and think his worldwide tour supporting it was excellent!

I made sure I paid a visit to the Peppermill Restaurant in Vegas when I was there this summer. That is where Adam recorded his “Another Lonely Night” Music video! He definitely needed to release “The Original High” or “The Light” as a third single!
Last edited by CNB on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby sharon20 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 pm

My fav's on Trespassing were Chokehold, Underneath, Runnin, Outlaws, Nirvana & Take Back. I think Runnin should have been released as a single, but who knows, music is subjective so it might not have done any better than the ones they put out.

I liked some on TOH but overall it wasn't my favourite. The strongest one's for me were the light, things I didn't say and Lucy but that could be because of Brian on guitar for that one.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 pm

The Milkman wrote:
liliane wrote:Nicki, agreed again. I liked TOH and thought the album was more cohesive than his first two, but among all three, Trespassing was the most interesting album to me. Out of curiosity, which songs did you like on Trespassing? For me, I liked the darker second half much better. What about you Milkman? Did you listen to the album? If yes, which songs were the best for you? Thanks.

I hated Trespassing! I thought the lyrics were a joke and the music was so generic. The only song I liked was Runnin but he said Runnin so much that I got sick of it. IMHO TOH is his best album and even though the lyrics were pretty juvenile it still had about four strong songs on it.

I didn't like Trespassing much either. I felt it the most lacking and cobbled together out of all his albums.
I can't chose between FYE and TOH, I like them both.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Nicki79 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:37 am

On Trespassing I like the complete second half (and skip the first one most of the time - I think, between these songs are the ones with „juvenile“ lyrics. As milkman calls them, I can agree with that.)
„Runnin“ is the song, that stood out for me. Since I was late in the game, I listened to Adam’s first two albums back to back. I think Runnin was the only song, where I instantly hit the repeat button. It’s his song, that could have been. But since it got downgraded to a bonus song, after RCA wanted „Never close your eyes“ included, there was not even the chance to release it as a single. Looking at Adam’s streaming numbers on Spotify and YouTube that‘s really a shame... Despite being only a bonus song, it’s numbers are up there with or even better than most of his singles.
For those interested, here is a link to an interesting Fanpage. This Fan posts weekly statistics of streaming on twitter and you can see, which of Adam’s songs are successful. http://sway.com/HV6FmMMOVVRA7dHx?ref=Twitter

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby Montavilla » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:56 am

I think my favorite song on Trespassing is "Shady." I didn't care much for "Chokehold" when I first heard it, but it grew on me.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Adam Lambert.

Postby Montavilla » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:04 am

Wow. You're the first fan I heard who came to Adam via Glee. I'm glad to hear that he impressed you with "Marry the Night." I thought it was great, but I'm biased. :)
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now

Japan 2014 release

Postby sharon20 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 pm

Yeah, I think they should have released that one after Ghost Town instead of ALN, much better song. Brian seems to like working with Kerry, maybe when him & Roger feel it's too tiring doing full tours they might give a few unplugged shows a go with Adam as well. Here's hoping anyway.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Re: Japan 2014 release

Postby CNB » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 am

Adam and Leona Lewis “crushed” their duet of Little Big Town’s hit, “Girl Crush.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmdmhHQkiK0&app=desktop
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:40 am

sharon20 wrote:Yeah, I think they should have released that one after Ghost Town instead of ALN, much better song. Brian seems to like working with Kerry, maybe when him & Roger feel it's too tiring doing full tours they might give a few unplugged shows a go with Adam as well. Here's hoping anyway.

I agree. EITN had that atomsphere going for it. I loved that "side" of him.
I have been surprised throughout these tours that unscheduled concerts or appearances didn't happen. That could have been great.
Would Brian and Roger be willing to unplugged type shows with Adam? I wish they would be.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 am

CNB wrote:Adam and Leona Lewis “crushed” their duet of Little Big Town’s hit, “Girl Crush.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmdmhHQkiK0&app=desktop

That doesn't prove he can sing country music. I'd say with that it's one of the "acts" he puts on. It's sometimes very obvious he is a pop and EDM artist...he can sing covers until the cows come home, but only can he change things with his solo music if he decides to branch out genre wise.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby soxtalon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:23 am

sharon20 wrote:Really can't see why Freddie should be seen more in the shows, anyone wanting to see/hear Freddie can watch the live DVD's that have been put out or the numerous shows on YouTube. IMO a live show is meant to be enjoyed and to have fun, not be a nostalgic experience, at least that's not what I want to go for.

I don't get involved in these debates often. I enjoy QAL for what it is...BUT I have to point out...QAL is DEFINITIVELY a nostalgia experience.

Until they write new material together and release an album of new material, it is a band singing the Greatest Hits catalogue of Queen...for the last however amount of years - the very definition of a nostalgia based group. In that context there should be more Freddie - or at least not less.

Now if they record and release a new album together, THAT becomes a different story.

THAT is also the difference between QPR and QAL - Like or hate Cosmos Rocks, QPR was trying to be a new entity. Trying to merge Queen's sound with PR's bluesy soulful bar band rock. QAL is trying to put on the best "Queen" performance it can - again a nostalgia based tour.

In fact Roger said it best. I don't have the exact quote offhand but when QPR recorded and released TCR, Roger stated that they did so because they didn't want to become a nostalgia act and tour off their past hits which is what they would be doing if they toured the world a SECOND time.............QAL is on what # tour now at this point? So it is exactly what QAL is doing...so by Roger's words, they are at this point a nostalgia act.

Nothing inherently wrong with that. They've earned the right to do whatever they want at this point. If they are having fun slinging out the GH and getting a good response then more power to them no matter what I'd rather see them doing.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sharon20 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am

Soxtalon

I get your point, I didnt mean nostalgia in that way exactly but yeah they are touring the same old same old with just the odd random track thrown in every once in a while. Like you say people are enjoying it and Brian & Roger look like they have a great time so I suppose at their age it's enough for them.

I would love to hear them do new stuff but I really doubt they will going off things I've heard them all say in interviews at different times. Roger usually says "yeah we'll have to give it some thought," in a very vague stock answer kind of way, Brian says "we got the feeling when we did CR that people just want to hear the hits and aren't interested in anything recorded without Freddie" and I've heard Adam say he'd be scared to record something together but didn't elaborate on why. My own thought on that is if was hugely successful, he'd never be able to replicate that on his own and he's still young and needs to get his solo career going and that could hurt his chances as he'd constantly be compared to what they did, and if it bombed then that would equally hurt his chances solo as it would be said he couldn't even get it right with Queen, so what chance has he on his own. Lose lose situation really. It would be totally different if Brian & Roger were still young enough to carry on for years and he wanted to just make it a permanent thing with the band.

None of them had great success with the solo stuff they did so I would be wary of going there if it were me. I could be way off but just my thoughts.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Another World