Adam Lambert.

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: Adam Lambert.

Postby Peavy » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:33 am

I also think they'll continue as long as possible. Brian and Roger enjoy it way too much and as far as health is no problem, they're in. And Adam...this is the greatest thing he will probably ever do in his life professionally, he would never give up this possibility, I think this has highest priority over everything else. It won't be possible forever and after that he still can do more of his own music and do other projects. But he is only the second (and most likely last) one who ever had the possiblity to step into that spot, and he appreciates that a lot and won't quit imo.

I can only hope this continues for some more years...I'll see them next Tuesday for the second time and hope it's not the last time! For years I wasn't interested in the Queen+ projects, but since I gave it a chance last year, I won't miss any further chance to see them.

Peavy
Spread Your Wings

Postby snifflese » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:16 pm

I read somewhere over the last week or two (there are been so many interviews and articles that it is hard to remember), but it was Roger who said something to the effect that they were going to keep on touring for as long as their health allowed it. From that I inferred that Vegas will not be the last of QAL, health permitting.

snifflese
Spread Your Wings

Postby sharon20 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:47 pm

snifflese wrote:I read somewhere over the last week or two (there are been so many interviews and articles that it is hard to remember), but it was Roger who said something to the effect that they were going to keep on touring for as long as their health allowed it. From that I inferred that Vegas will not be the last of QAL, health permitting.

Yeah that's probably the interview where I heard it as well, definitely heard them say it in the last couple of weeks. Adam said he's likely promoting his album next year but he didn't sound 100%, I got the impression it was open to change if something Queen related came up, but I can't see them doing another tour so soon tbh, unless it was South America or Asia.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:01 pm

I‘ll say it again: Queen won’t play their last show in Vegas, if they can help it. That honor will go to London, should they have a choice. (But maybe they will just go on until one of them can’t go on and then that’s it. Actually I would prefer that.)

And yes, Adam said, that he will promote his own album in 2019. He did that as well in 2015 and played the QAL-tour in South America in between (+Europe earlier that year). That promo doesn’t take a year and the Queen Tour legs aren’t long and planned well ahead, so that’s possible.

I still remember, when Adam did his solo tour starting on NewYear‘s Eve in Singapur 2015, going on through Asia, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Dubai, USA and Europe, until finishing in Munich on May, the 6th (I was there! :) ). Then he jumped with a 2 weeks pause into the Q+AL tour, traveling Europe AGAIN ( I saw them in Cologne on May, 27th) until the end of June. And then a plane took Adam directly to Sydney in Australia for taping the X-Factor. :shock:
He played about 70 shows from January to June 2016, singing about 2 hours every time. And, because that’s not enough, he also did the recording (February) and filming(April) of his parts of the „Rocky Horror Picture Show“, and recorded a new song (Welcome to the Show) for his last appearance on American Idol (in March).
Just following that journey was exhausting.

(And yes: I‘m a little freak, when it comes to dates. I don’t have to look these things up.)
Last edited by Nicki79 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby sharon20 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Nicki79 wrote:I‘ll say it again: Queen won’t play their last show in Vegas, if they can help it. That honor will go to London, should they have a choice. (But maybe they will just go on until one of them can’t go on and then that’s it. Actually I would prefer that.)

And yes, Adam said, that he will promote his own album in 2019. He did that as well in 2015 and played the QAL-tour in South America in between (+Europe earlier that year). That promo doesn’t take a year and the Queen Tour legs aren’t long and planned well ahead, so that’s possible.

I still remember, when Adam did his solo tour starting on NewYear‘s Eve in Singapur 2015, going on through Asia, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Dubai, USA and Europe, until finishing in Munich on May, the 6th (I was there! :) ). Then he jumped with a 2 weeks pause into the Q+AL tour, traveling Europe AGAIN ( I saw them in Cologne on May, 27th) until the end of June. And then a plane took Adam directly to Sydney in Australia for taping the X-Factor. :shock:
He played about 70 shows from January to June 2016, singing about 2 hours every time. Just following that journey was exhausting.

Just knowing how much he gets done exhausts me, he's like a machine, just never stops, what I'd give to have his energy. Like you say I don't think it will stop him doing some Queen related stuff even if he is touring solo or promoting an album, he seems to be able to make it work doing both.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:32 pm

sharon20 wrote:
Just knowing how much he gets done exhausts me, he's like a machine, just never stops, what I'd give to have his energy. Like you say I don't think it will stop him doing some Queen related stuff even if he is touring solo or promoting an album, he seems to be able to make it work doing both.

Adam also said, that the Queen tours are almost like a vacation: the transport by private plane, very nice hotels and catering... he can completely focus on the show and doesn’t have to worry about all the other stuff.
On his own tours, traveling isn’t as comfortable and he’s the boss . I remember him saying, that being the boss isn’t always easy when you’re touring. He is a teamplayer, but although he seems to get along very well with his musicians, dancers and other stuff, they aren’t equals. He is paying them.

Edit: And as if Adam wanted to underline that: While I wrote my post, he posted a video of himself sunbathing in Oslo with a great view. 8-)

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby sharon20 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Nicki79 wrote:
sharon20 wrote:

Adam also said, that the Queen tours are almost like a vacation: the transport by private plane, very nice hotels and catering... he can completely focus on the show and doesn’t have to worry about all the other stuff.
On his own tours, traveling isn’t as comfortable and he’s the boss . I remember him saying, that being the boss isn’t always easy when you’re touring. He is a teamplayer, but although he seems to get along very well with his musicians, dancers and other stuff, they aren’t equals. He is paying them.

Edit: And as if Adam wanted to underline that: While I wrote my post, he posted a video of himself sunbathing in Oslo with a great view. 8-)

Yeah I saw the vid, looks lovely there and the travelling on a private jet and other perks etc must make things easier, less travel time so more time to relax.

sharon20
Spread Your Wings

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:38 pm

This long interview is from June, 29th and was published by The Guardian. It’s mostly about Adam, less about his work with Queen, so I decided to post it here.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/j ... y-who-i-am

One interesting part:
(...)The constant suggestion that Lambert was “too much” eventually got to him, and led to a pivot in his career. His second album, 2012’s Trespassing – which gave him the curious honour of being the first openly gay artist to reach No 1 on the Billboard album chart – was markedly more sombre, led by the dreary ballad Better Than I Know Myself. His preferred single choice, Cuckoo – a lithe electro-glam stomper – was dismissed by his now former label as “too flamboyant”. Later that year, having performed with Queen at the MTV Europe Music Awards, Lambert joined the band for a six-date tour. “I needed an outlet for me that wasn’t judging. I needed to be in a safe space that didn’t say to me: ‘Don’t do that, people won’t like that.’ Now there’s an audience for me being exactly who I am. There’s permission given.”

It seems, Adam has lately started to talk more and more about the business side of being a singer. It’s in the latest podcast and to some extent also in this interview. The last two sentences of the part I quoted say a lot about, what the collaboration with Queen means to him.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby The Milkman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Nicki79 wrote: “I needed an outlet for me that wasn’t judging. I needed to be in a safe space that didn’t say to me: ‘Don’t do that, people won’t like that.’ Now there’s an audience for me being exactly who I am. There’s permission given.”[/i]

It seems, Adam has lately started to talk more and more about the business side of being a singer. It’s in the latest podcast and to some extent also in this interview. The last two sentences of the part I quoted say a lot about, what the collaboration with Queen means to him.

Safe space? Sounds like he's saying it's easier to sing Queen karaoke than it is to write, record, and release new music. I don't blame him at all because he's making way more money than he could ever make on his own. Super pumped about his next album!!!!!

BTW Cuckoo sucks and it would have flopped. Really don't think it's flamboyant at all, it's just generic.

Did he say anything about his next album?
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Maybe you should read the whole thing yourself? ;)
The „safe space“ was about the time in 2011/12 by the way. He had been criticized for being himself by the industry, his label ect. And he never has that „problem“, when he is performing with Queen.
But I recommend you to read the whole interview.

And although I don’t like Cuckoo, it was the song, that a group of young listeners (no fans) voted by far as their favorite one out of the four presented demos before it’s release. It‘s said, they loved to dance to it.

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby The Milkman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:29 pm

RCA and WB both had faith in Adam and they both tried to make him a star. Better Than I Know Myself was a smart choice for the leadoff single because it's more like WWFM. Cuckoo is more like If I Had You but now quite as good. WWFM was the bigger hit so that is why they pushed BTIKM. If feel for Adam if he ever thinks he will have full control of his music. He's not big enough and he can't write his own songs. WB said they used Max because they were going for hits. Adam needs all the help he can get. I remember during the recording of Trespassing he was bragging about being executive producer and having control but over the years he let us all know what I knew from the very beginning.
Last edited by The Milkman on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby The Milkman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Nicki79 wrote:Maybe you should read the whole thing yourself? ;) .

Fuck that! :lol:
Last edited by The Milkman on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby The Milkman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Nicki79 wrote:The „safe space“ was about the time in 2011/12 by the way. He had been criticized for being himself by the industry, his label ect. And he never has that „problem“, when he is performing with Queen.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Like I said, it's easier to sing karaoke than it is to deal with the labels.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Nicki79 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:57 pm

You’re right, that both labels tried to make him a star. From what I‘ve read between the lines, both hadn’t expected as many „problems“ promoting Adam.
But with the Original High he believed in Max Martin & Co. The label had a lot of faith in that album. I remember before its release, that even some radio stations were raving about the demo-songs, that they had listened to. Nevertheless, even Max Martin wasn’t able to give Adam more than one hit on the album (which wasn’t even really a hit in the US). So, why should he follow that path again, if he feels, that that’s not him?

Adam spent a lot of time with Brian and especially Roger (they even went on vacation together). I‘m sure, he has discussed the possibilities and his problems in the music business with them. In his shoes, I would appreciate their input as veterans in the business. At least, he know, what he is doing.

In the end, he needs to find his own way. He has come this far (from a cruise ship singer to a solo artist and lead singer for Queen), so I won’t worry about that. :)

Nicki79
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:31 pm

Nicki79 wrote:You’re right, that both labels tried to make him a star. From what I‘ve read between the lines, both hadn’t expected as many „problems“ promoting Adam.
But with the Original High he believed in Max Martin & Co. The label had a lot of faith in that album. I remember before its release, that even some radio stations were raving about the demo-songs, that they had listened to. Nevertheless, even Max Martin wasn’t able to give Adam more than one hit on the album (which wasn’t even really a hit in the US). So, why should he follow that path again, if he feels, that that’s not him?

Adam spent a lot of time with Brian and especially Roger (they even went on vacation together). I‘m sure, he has discussed the possibilities and his problems in the music business with them. In his shoes, I would appreciate their input as veterans in the business. At least, he know, what he is doing.

In the end, he needs to find his own way. He has come this far (from a cruise ship singer to a solo artist and lead singer for Queen), so I won’t worry about that. :)

A few thoughts of mine. For years I have said I would like to see AL break away from Idol. He didn't appear on the most recent season, so maybe he is breaking away from that. If so, good.
Yes, he needs to find his own way. I doubt he can do that while touring with Q+AL. He should say what comes first for him, his own music or Q+AL. No one can deny he has put more of his time in Q+AL.
Q+AL the gift that keeps on giving he says. Yeah, pretty easy to make money that way.
And one other thing. He isn't the lead singer for Queen.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

PreviousNext

Return to Another World