RIP David Bowie

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: RIP david bowie

Postby CNB » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:07 pm

I guess no one posted yesterday that it was the one year sad anniversary of David Bowie's death. He was the first of so many celebrities to leave us unexpectedly last year. Everyone was happy to see 2016 end!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Sir Didymus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Elessar wrote:Killing A Little Time: Likewise. "I've got a few songs to sing, to sting your soul, to fuck you over". I like to think he did it on purpose. This is the most Blackstar-sounding track I think.

The actual line on KALT, is even cleverer than that. It's "I've got a handful of songs to sing, to sting your soul, to fuck you over."

A Handful of Songs was a signature tune for Tommy Steele, Britain's first rock-n-roller, and a huge influence on Bowie (and Brian May too according to early interviews). Bowie actually met Tommy Steele when he was 11 and told him he was going to be an entertainer too... so I'm fairly certain that's a deliberate reference. Look at this clip, for example... if that's not the sound of Bowie in the 60s fused with the attitude and style of Bowie in the 80s, I don't know what is...

phpBB [video]
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Tarkus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 pm

CNB wrote:I guess no one posted yesterday that it was the one year sad anniversary of David Bowie's death. He was the first of so many celebrities to leave us unexpectedly last year. Everyone was happy to see 2016 end!

Very true that, and for the record, I posted in the Blackstar thread.

Tarkus

Postby Tarkus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
Elessar wrote:Killing A Little Time: Likewise. "I've got a few songs to sing, to sting your soul, to fuck you over". I like to think he did it on purpose. This is the most Blackstar-sounding track I think.

The actual line on KALT, is even cleverer than that. It's "I've got a handful of songs to sing, to sting your soul, to fuck you over."

A Handful of Songs was a signature tune for Tommy Steele, Britain's first rock-n-roller, and a huge influence on Bowie (and Brian May too according to early interviews). Bowie actually met Tommy Steele when he was 11 and told him he was going to be an entertainer too... so I'm fairly certain that's a deliberate reference. Look at this clip, for example... if that's not the sound of Bowie in the 60s fused with the attitude and style of Bowie in the 80s, I don't know what is...

phpBB [video]

On the BBC documentary The Last Five Years, they played a bit of an early Bowie video of him singing 'Love You Till Tuesday', and all I could think of was that he sounded uncannily like Tommy Steele, and almost expected him to belt out 'Arf A Sixpence'.

phpBB [video]

Tarkus

Postby icy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:10 am

Pretty darn cool, IMO.
Attachments
16298807_10154088665797665_7671829391082012350_n.jpg
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Sir Didymus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Personally, I'm just amazed they included something made between Let's Dance and Blackstar on that.

I mean, I fucking ADORE that album (EART HL I NG) but as far as the mainstream media are concerned, Bowie didn't make anything of merit between 1983 and 2013.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:Personally, I'm just amazed they included something made between Let's Dance and Blackstar on that.

I mean, I fucking ADORE that album (EART HL I NG) but as far as the mainstream media are concerned, Bowie didn't make anything of merit between 1983 and 2013.

I think the union flag jacket lends itself quite nicely to a stamp collection!

There's a whole generation of people who are largely aware of Bowie because of Labyrinth, and his cameo in Extras is legendary, but I agree that the 90s/00s stuff is often forgotten.

(If I was going to write off a period, it would be something like 1980-1994, with a couple of exceptions)

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm

I wouldn't write off stuff like Under Pressure, Let's Dance, Modern Love, and about half a dozen other tracks recorded during that period, and I'd also say that this period was far more significant than the stuff he did for Sony.

But, to me, ("TO ME") the stuff he wrote and recorded before he became noticeably commercially successful, let's say Ziggy Stardust and before, was when he REALLY was completely fresh and original, and virtually every track was a revelation.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Kes wrote:I wouldn't write off stuff like Under Pressure, Let's Dance, Modern Love, and about half a dozen other tracks recorded during that period, and I'd also say that this period was far more significant than the stuff he did for Sony.

But, to me, ("TO ME") the stuff he wrote and recorded before he became noticeably commercially successful, let's say Ziggy Stardust and before, was when he REALLY was completely fresh and original, and virtually every track was a revelation.

That's probably why I said there were some exceptions!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby icy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:43 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:Personally, I'm just amazed they included something made between Let's Dance and Blackstar on that.

I was surprised too, happily so.
I don't think I can pick a favorite 'era' of Bowie's. I like it all, some more than others. One thing I can't bring myself to do is listen to his early and later stuff in one go.
Can I ask you a personal question, you don't have to answer. Does missing him get any easier? I still remember the shock finding out he passed, despite his age, I never expected it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby Sir Didymus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Elessar wrote:

There's a whole generation of people who are largely aware of Bowie because of Labyrinth, and his cameo in Extras is legendary, but I agree that the 90s/00s stuff is often forgotten.

(If I was going to write off a period, it would be something like 1980-1994, with a couple of exceptions)

Agreed. The stuff he did between Scary Monsters and The Buddha of Suburbia does, on the whole, deserve its reputation. There are some gems in there - Time Will Crawl, Loving the Alien etc... but a lot of dross too. But I wager if any of his mid-late 90s records were released in the 1970s they'd be worshipped now.

The fun comes next year, when Parlophone and the Bowie estate get past the Berlin trilogy for the boxset reissues, and have to find a way of telling everyone how amazing his later work actually was. And that release in itself will present some problems.

The problem they've got is how to package it up, really... let's look at what they've already done, eh?

Five Years: 1969-1973

Studio Albums = 6
David Bowie | The Man Who Sold the World | Hunky Dory | The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars | Aladdin Sane | Pin Ups

Live Albums = 2
Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture | Live Santa Monica '72

Alternate Mixes = 1
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (2003 mix)

Compilations = 1
Re:Call 1

Total = 10 albums across 13 records / 12 cds

Who Can I Be Now?: 1974-1976

Studio Albums = 3
Diamond Dogs | Young Americans | Station to Station

Live Albums = 2
David Live | Live Nassau Coliseum '76

Alternate Mixes = 2
David Live (2005 mix) | Station to Station (2010 mix)

'Lost' Albums = 1
The Gouster

Compilations = 1
Re:Call 2

Total = 9 albums across 13 records / 12 cds

Now, assuming the format that really matters here is 13 records and 12 cds, to keep the set design uniform, and probably 9-10 'albums', we've got a bit of interesting shake up happening with the next set, which will presumably cover the Berlin Trilogy.

BOX THREE: 1977-1979

Studio Albums = 3
Low | "Heroes" | Lodger

Live Albums = 1
Stage

Alternate Mixes = 1
Stage (2005 mix)

Compilations = 1
Re:Call 3

Now that makes for only 6 albums, and presuming Stage 2005 is put on a triple vinyl set like David Live's alternate mix was, it makes me wonder if there's room for anything else to go in there. We're already onto 9 discs at this rate, and Re:Call 3 will potentially be a double as it'll possibly contain...

Breaking Glass [Extended Version]
Some Are
All Saints
Sound and Vision [1991 Remix]
"Heroes" [Single Version]
"Helden"
"Héros"
Beauty and the Beast [12" Version]
Abdulmajid
Joe the Lion [1991 Remix]
Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy
Breaking Glass [Live Single]
Art Decade/Ziggy Stardust [Live B-Side]
Alabama Song
DJ [Single Version]
Look Back in Anger [Mono Promo Mix]
Yassassin [Single Edit]
Panic In Detroit [1979 Version]
Space Oddity [1979 Acoustic Version]

They could extend that out to include further remixes (eg the 1997 mix of Heroes by Aphex Twin and the recent 2013 mix of Sound and Vision) if they wanted to bump it out.

So that'll be ten discs, which perhaps gives them the option to throw in the 'lost' soundtrack to The Man Who Fell to Earth. If, that is, it reached any fit state to include - the best versions might ONLY be on Low anyway, and we can already see that demos are not being included... either saved for later or deliberately kept locked away.

It might instead mean we get the legendary Earls Court 78 show on the Isolar II tour, but as it's technically the same show as Stage, it's not the end of the world, and leaves it open to a standalone release down the line.

Sadly, I think that archive treats (Toy excepted - that's almost BOUND to be included at last after Nothing has Changed included parts of it), are going to increasingly rare for the duration of these sets. The Gouster was a rarity to pad out an otherwise awkwardly brief spell between the Glam Rock Behemoth years and the more esoteric but arguably just as revered Berlin Trilogy.

Now, where it gets REALLY interesting for the marketing bods is the following set, which will potentially package two of Bowie's biggest hits with one of his least loved records outside of Tin Machine.

BOX FOUR: 1980 - 1985

Studio Albums = 3
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) | Let's Dance | Tonight

Live Albums = 1
Serious Moonlight

Soundtracks = 1
Baal EP

Compilations = 1
Re-Call 3

I predict that the previous dvd release of Bowie's 1983 tour from the period will make its vinyl debut (much as how Glass Spider was issued on cd a few years ago). Probably on three discs for maximum sound quality etc. I'm also hoping that a re-creation of the Baal EP (as a 12" instead of 7" format) could be included, but those tracks might just turn up on the Re-Call compilation this time around.

Again, based on past form, I think we can wager what will appear on Re-Call 3... but the advent of 12" Extended Mixes makes these harder to judge from here-on-in.

Crystal Japan
Ashes to Ashes [7" Single Edit]
Fashion [7" Single Edit]
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) [7" Single Edit]
Under Pressure
Cat People (Putting Out Fire)
Let's Dance [Single Edit]
China Girl [Single Edit]
Shake It [Re-Mix]
Modern Love [Single Edit]
Modern Love [Live B-Side]
Blue Jean [Extended Dance Mix]
Dancing with the Big Boys [Extended Dance Mix]
Dancing with the Big Boys [Extended Dub Mix]
Tonight [Vocal Dance Mix]
Tonight [Dub Mix]
This is Not America
This is Not America [Instrumental]
Loving the Alien [Re-Mixed Version]
Don't Look Down [Re-Mixed Version]
Loving the Alien [Extended Dance Mix]
Loving the Alien [Extended Dub Mix]
Don't Look Down [Extended Dance Mix]
Dancing in the Street [Clearmountain Mix]
Dancing in the Street [Instrumental]
Dancing in the Street [Steve Thompson and Michael Barbiero Mix]
Dancing in the Street [Dub Version]

That'd probably take up three discs on vinyl in its own right. Maybe they'll go a bit further forward and include Labyrinth, and the Absolute Beginners tracks? Make it a 1980-1986 set, with 1987-1993/4 happening later?

It gets tricky because the combination of live recordings and tons of remixes and extended versions makes it increasingly difficult to judge. You only have to look at the 2cd versions of 1.Outside, EART HL I NG and ...hours to see just how much is out there (and THEY were selective).

I'll be very surprised (and disappointed) if Labyrinth doesn't make an appearance, particularly as I suspect the single mixes will be in there, and it gives another angle to market that helps them not focus on Never Let Me Down and the Tin Machine records. If they're even to be included. Who knows eh... but there's my tips for the next two at least.
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Elessar wrote:

Ha - I brought up Labyrinth as if you'd forgotten about it, and now I've just remembered where your username comes from!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby icy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:13 pm

Didy, your knowledge and wisdom about Bowie leaves me :mouth: :mrgreen:
A couple of things in there that refreshed my memory, so thanks for that! :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby Kes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:51 pm

My favourite release of his archival releases so far, is the double disc Alladin Sane, that came out in a card sleeve, I'd guess ten years ago or maybe a bit more.

Can't say I've actually noticed any of the other albums given that treatment.

I was looking at the recent Legacy compilation the other day, or more specifically the new mix of Life On Mars?, is this mix worth the CD, given that I already have Changes, The Singles Collection, The Platinum Collection and Nothing Has Changed?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Sir Didymus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Elessar wrote:
Elessar wrote:

Ha - I brought up Labyrinth as if you'd forgotten about it, and now I've just remembered where your username comes from!

Kes wrote:My favourite release of his archival releases so far, is the double disc Alladin Sane, that came out in a card sleeve, I'd guess ten years ago or maybe a bit more.

Can't say I've actually noticed any of the other albums given that treatment.

I was looking at the recent Legacy compilation the other day, or more specifically the new mix of Life On Mars?, is this mix worth the CD, given that I already have Changes, The Singles Collection, The Platinum Collection and Nothing Has Changed?

There were four 30th Anniversary releases, of which I only managed to pick up three of them, as the first eluded me.

These were: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs and Young Americans. The first three went down a similar route - with fancy packaging and a bonus disc of rarities. Young Americans had a few bonus tracks, but more importantly a dvd featuring a surround mix of the album.

Other double/triple disc reissues were of his 90s material: BlackTieWhiteNoise got a 3-disc release including a dvd, while 1.Outside, Earthling and ...hours were in the same format as the Aladdin Sane release.

As for 'Legacy' - the only thing of note really is the new mix of Life on Mars, but otherwise, you're getting nothing you don't already have - save perhaps for a single edit of Lazarus iirc. Definitely not on my hitlist tbh...
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

PreviousNext

Return to Another World