The good book and author thread

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

The good book and author thread

Postby ice on fire » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:16 am

Not sure if there is another thread like this.
This is a thread where you can post about any good books
and/or authors.
I have just completed The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards.
A very powerful wonderfully writtien book :thumbsup:.

ice on fire

Re: The good book and author thread

Postby Princess of Taylor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:25 am

I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's the first of a series of three and I liked it a lot. An English movie is coming out soon, but I've heard the Swedish version is so good, it's worth reading the subtitles.

Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You

Postby ice on fire » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:47 am

Princess of Taylor wrote:I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's the first of a series of three and I liked it a lot. An English movie is coming out soon, but I've heard the Swedish version is so good, it's worth reading the subtitles.

That one is very popular indeed. There is a
2 month waiting list for it at the local libary.
I would love to see the movie but I
want to read the book first.

ice on fire

Postby dragononmyback » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am

ice on fire wrote:
Princess of Taylor wrote:I just read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's the first of a series of three and I liked it a lot. An English movie is coming out soon, but I've heard the Swedish version is so good, it's worth reading the subtitles.

That one is very popular indeed. There is a
2 month waiting list for it at the local libary.
I would love to see the movie but I
want to read the book first.

I have read all three books and they are very good. It is a major shame that Stieg Larsson died before they were published, apparently he had plans to write 10 books but alas its never to be. Books two and three focus mainly on Lisbeth's background / history.

I have the first (Dragon Tattoo) Swedish film on Blu-ray and it is very good, but I would encourage you to read the book first. As with most adaptions the books are better and give more detail to the characters/story etc as the movie has been cut down a bit to fit into a reasonable running time.

The films (Swedish) for the 2nd and 3rd books are also planned for release in the cinema before the end of the year. The 2nd one at the end of this month. I planned to see both and get them on Blu Ray. They supposedly just about maintain the standard of the first one.

The USA remake is a few years offI think but they confirmed just last week that Daniel Craig is signed up to play Blomquist. It will have to be a very good movie to improve on the Swedish original, but I think it has a chance with David Fincher at the helm as long as they cast the right Lisbeth.

Apparently there are about 300 pages written of a 4th book, but it is currently locked away due to various legal disputes about the publishing rights. Not sure if it will ever see the light of day. Apparently its possible it could be finished by a close friend of Larsson's who helped him on the the other 3 books, but given the legal issues I am nio sure it will ever happen.

But if I was you I would definately read all thress books. It's a great story and reading only Tattoo you are missing out on a whole other depth / level in the story of Lisbeth.
No synthesisers were used in the production of this post.

dragononmyback
Spread Your Wings

Yay! A speech bubble

Postby dragononmyback » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 am

Yes, the movie is definately worth watching. In fact if you get it on Region 2 DVD/Blu-ray they have an english dubbed audio track. Its not great but it is watchable once you get into the film and are able to watch it without focussing on the fact that the lips and sound are out of sync. Better reading the subtitles but passable with the English audio track.

dragononmyback
Spread Your Wings

Yay! A speech bubble

Postby Princess of Taylor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:44 pm

dragononmyback wrote:The USA remake is a few years offI think but they confirmed just last week that Daniel Craig is signed up to play Blomquist. It will have to be a very good movie to improve on the Swedish original, but I think it has a chance with David Fincher at the helm as long as they cast the right Lisbeth.

Apparently there are about 300 pages written of a 4th book, but it is currently locked away due to various legal disputes about the publishing rights. Not sure if it will ever see the light of day. Apparently its possible it could be finished by a close friend of Larsson's who helped him on the the other 3 books, but given the legal issues I am nio sure it will ever happen.

But if I was you I would definately read all thress books. It's a great story and reading only Tattoo you are missing out on a whole other depth / level in the story of Lisbeth.

I'd been trying to figure out who could play Blomquist throughout my reading of the book. I never came up with anyone but Daniel Craig could definitely work. They'll probably pick some dopey Hollywood starlet to play Lisbeth and ruin the whole thing (I'm thinking like Dakota Fanning who has been the "it" girl for several years or Abigail Breslin) - basically totally ignoring the character description in order to hire a "name". As I was reading, I actually kept picturing Roger as Henrik! :lol: And then I found a picture of the Swedish actor who played Henrik and they kind of looked alike! I felt really bad though since he's supposed to be in his 80s! :lol:

I'll definitely be reading the other two books. I felt like even though they wrapped up the mystery at the end of the book, Blomquist and Lisbeth were still virtual strangers to me. I really wanted to know more about them and see more of their relationship/interactions. I'm glad to see that happens in books 2 and 3.

And i had no idea about a fourth manuscript. That could be terribly exciting!

Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You

Postby ice on fire » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for all of the info Dragononmy back & PoT~ there was much I did not know.
Last edited by ice on fire on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ice on fire

Postby eiricd » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm

I've recently reached the conclusion that my favourite author is probably Nick Hornby.

High Fidelity spoke to me as I didn't think any book could. and his latest, Juliet Naked, is a winner.
I'm reading fever pitch at the moment, and it's promising so far

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Princess of Taylor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:03 pm

eiricd wrote:I've recently reached the conclusion that my favourite author is probably Nick Hornby.

High Fidelity spoke to me as I didn't think any book could. and his latest, Juliet Naked, is a winner.

LOVE the movie. I saw it not realizing it was a book. I suppose I should read the book since it's very nearly always better.

I also just read Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffinger who also wrote The Time Traveler's Wife. She might be my least favorite author. She pulls you in and then by the end of the book, she throws all these twists at you and you end up hating every single character! :P

Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You

Postby Lino » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 am

Portuguese poet and writer Fernando Pessoa, who died in 1935. He had a few heteronyms, all different from eachother, with different personalities, biographies, writing styles, etc. One who doesn't know would think of different authors, but all of them are different personalities of the same author.

Não tenho ambições nem desejos
Ser poeta não é uma ambição minha
É a minha maneira de estar sozinho.

Alberto Caeiro: "The Keeper of Herds" (O Guardador de Rebanhos)

Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.
Bar that, I have in me all the dreams of the world.

Álvaro de Campos: "The Tobacco Shop" (Tabacaria).

According to Wiki
Pessoa's earliest heteronym, at the age of six, was the Chevalier de Pas. Other childhood heteronyms included Dr. Pancrácio and David Merrick, followed by Charles Robert Anon and Alexander Search, succeeded by others. Translator Richard Zenith notes that Pessoa eventually established at least seventy-two heteronyms [22]. According to Pessoa himself, there were three main heteronyms: Alberto Caeiro, Álvaro de Campos and Ricardo Reis. The heteronyms possess distinct biographies, temperaments, philosophies, appearances and writing styles.

O poeta é um fingidor
Finge tão completamente
Que chega a fingir que é dor
A dor que deveras sente
Of pain he feels in fact.

Fernando Pessoa-himself: "Autopsychography" (Autopsicografia).
My favourite quotation from him is "Was it worthwhile? Everything's worthile if the soul is not small"
"E valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena se alma não é pequena! :)
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby ice on fire » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:05 am

eiricd wrote:I've recently reached the conclusion that my favourite author is probably Nick Hornby.

Nick is a great writer I have not read a bad book by him yet :thumbsup:
Whoa I just purchased High Fidelity today...small world indeed :cool:

ice on fire

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:07 am

Christopher Moore - Lamb, the Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal.

Enough said!

;)
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby dragononmyback » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:43 am

Sorry - posted a new instead of edit, and can't work out how to delete it.

dragononmyback
Spread Your Wings

Yay! A speech bubble

Postby ice on fire » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:02 pm

Will start on this one ~ She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

ice on fire

Postby Lino » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am

Ok, about foreign authors, I love Antoine de Saint Exupéry's The Little Prince! It's so full of learnings, the story's so beautiful!
And I love John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath! I took a week to read it and it made me cry. To a God Unknown is also good, but the former impressed me more!!
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Another World