The good book and author thread

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The good book and author thread

Postby icy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Simon wrote:I am not an emotional person, but the friend of mine said that she cried a lot while reading the book. But it seems to be a good mixture... it is funny too, but the premise of the book should tell you that it is not a happy read throughout.

Read it.IMO it was quite the bittersweet book for many reasons. Made me laugh, cry, be angry.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Montavilla » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:25 pm

I finally finished Wolf Hall and started the sequel, Bringing Up the Bodies. I enjoyed WH, ultimately, but it was slough getting through it. It made me feel like I was reading it on cough medicine, because I'd get halfway down the page, realize I had no idea was the author was saying, and had to back and re-read everything two or three times to have it make sense!
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:30 pm

Montavilla wrote:I finally finished Wolf Hall and started the sequel, Bringing Up the Bodies. I enjoyed WH, ultimately, but it was slough getting through it. It made me feel like I was reading it on cough medicine, because I'd get halfway down the page, realize I had no idea was the author was saying, and had to back and re-read everything two or three times to have it make sense!

What genre are they?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Montavilla » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:40 pm

icy wrote:
Montavilla wrote:I finally finished Wolf Hall and started the sequel, Bringing Up the Bodies. I enjoyed WH, ultimately, but it was slough getting through it. It made me feel like I was reading it on cough medicine, because I'd get halfway down the page, realize I had no idea was the author was saying, and had to back and re-read everything two or three times to have it make sense!

What genre are they?

Historical fiction. The hero is Thomas Cromwell, who was Henry VIII's strong arm guy. He put Anne Boleyn on the throne -- and then took her off again.

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Montavilla wrote:
icy wrote:

What genre are they?

Historical fiction. The hero is Thomas Cromwell, who was Henry VIII's strong arm guy. He put Anne Boleyn on the throne -- and then took her off again.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for them. Last time I went shopping there was a new shelf just for that genre :)
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Simon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:49 am

Montavilla wrote:
icy wrote:

What genre are they?

The books are quite the high-brow read. Both novels won the Booker Prize, which is quite outstanding. Had a similar reading experience with Wolf Hall. Hence I did not touch the successor (and isn't there supposed to be a third one as well?). Anyone interested in Wolf Hall should really have some knowledge about the time of Henry VIII. Otherwise, you might lose interest. But if I remember correctly, Wolf Hall has a pretty unique style of narration. I can understand why it won the Booker Prize (and I am curious why Bringing Out the Bodies also won the prize. Surely, the competition was strong.)
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Montavilla » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Simon wrote:
Montavilla wrote:I finally finished Wolf Hall....

The books are quite the high-brow read. Both novels won the Booker Prize, which is quite outstanding. Had a similar reading experience with Wolf Hall. Hence I did not touch the successor (and isn't there supposed to be a third one as well?).

I don't think the third one is out yet. I tried to find it for my mother (who loved both books), but it wasn't on Amazon. I ended up getting her another Hilary Mantel book, on the French Revolution. She's enjoying it, but not as much as the Cromwell books.

Simon wrote:Anyone interested in Wolf Hall should really have some knowledge about the time of Henry VIII. Otherwise, you might lose interest. But if I remember correctly, Wolf Hall has a pretty unique style of narration. I can understand why it won the Booker Prize (and I am curious why Bringing Out the Bodies also won the prize. Surely, the competition was strong.)

Oh, God, yes. I kept having to consult Wiki about all the characters and their complicated relationships to each other. This was after watching the mini-series.

Also, after about 50 pages, I asked my brother (who gave me the first book), "Is the story ever going to start?" Because it all seemed to be laying the foundation for a story. He replied, "If you don't like it by now, you're probably not ever going to like it."

But I just kept plugging away at it. And the author's voice got stuck in my head -- it changes the way you look at things. Which is a good thing.

But I have to rant a little about this habit the author had (In Wolf Hall) of slipping into Cromwell's head without telling you. This is a random sample:

"Is it something to do with the English," Cavendish asks earnestly. He's still thinking of the uproar back there when they embarked; and, even now, people are running along the banks, making obscene signs and whistling. "Tell us, Master Cromwell, you've been abroad. Are they particularly an ungrateful nation? It seems to me that they like change for the sake of it."

"I don't think its' the English. I think it's just people. They always hope for something better."

"But what do they get by the change?" Cavendish persists. "One dog sated with meat is replaced by a hungrier dog who bites nearer the bone. Out goes the man grown fat with honor, and in comes a hungry and lean man."

He closes his eyes. The river shifts beneath them, dim figures in an allegory of Fortune. Decayed Magnificence sits in the center. Cavendish, leaning at his right like a Virtuous Councillor, mutters of superfluous and belated advice, to which the sorry magnate inclines his head; he, like a Tempter, is seated on the left, and the cardinal's great hand, with its knuckles of garnet and tourmaline, grips is own hand painfully.

Wolf Hall, pg. 50-51

Who is the "he" in that last paragraph? You'd think it was Cavendish at the beginning of it, but it's actually Cromwell. Combine that with the density and complication of the writing in general and it's just work to get through a page.

I think someone must have given the author some very pointed feedback, because, in the second book, she's careful to mark this kind of transition to "he, Cromwell, closes his eyes...."

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:29 pm

That's one thing I never really liked, a story written in the present tense like that...."he closes his eyes" not "he closed his eyes", kinda annoying to me. I don't remember what it was but there was a book I started reading a few years ago that was like that, I couldn't finish it...or maybe I'm just weird like that :P

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Simon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Depends on the book, I guess. I think Paul Auster's autobiographies Winter Journal and Report from the Interior are quite nice to read because he writes it in 2nd person present: "You are 12 years old and you are sitting inside looking out the window". You cannot help feeling addressed yourself and at the same time feel the author addressing his memories. Works pretty well. (And no, he did not invent this, he copied this style, but he admitted it).

Fair comments by Montavilla about Wolf Hall. Indeed, you should (and if the book grabs you, it urges you to) do some research on the characters, the time, the problems of Henry VIII. That's the magic of the book. Pretty accurate book there. Doesn't happen too often in historical fiction.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Montavilla » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:43 am

Simon wrote:Depends on the book, I guess. I think Paul Auster's autobiographies Winter Journal and Report from the Interior are quite nice to read because he writes it in 2nd person present: "You are 12 years old and you are sitting inside looking out the window". You cannot help feeling addressed yourself and at the same time feel the author addressing his memories. Works pretty well. (And no, he did not invent this, he copied this style, but he admitted it).

Fair comments by Montavilla about Wolf Hall. Indeed, you should (and if the book grabs you, it urges you to) do some research on the characters, the time, the problems of Henry VIII. That's the magic of the book. Pretty accurate book there. Doesn't happen too often in historical fiction.

Yes. It feels like you're there, and it's only after reading it that I wonder if Cromwell is quite as reasonable and sympathetic as he seems in the book.

This is the man that got Thomas More executed, after all.

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 am

I was fortunate to find A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini today. Might be my next read after A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Towes, which is my current book.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:58 am

Six Weeks by Fred Mustard Stewart...as I'm reading it, I'm appalled!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:18 am

Currently reading This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Trooper. I like the family dynamic in the book, very bittersweet IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby The Milkman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Just picked up this today.

Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:23 am

The Milkman wrote:Just picked up this today.

Never knew about that before. Let me know what you think of it? :mrgreen:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

PreviousNext

Return to Another World