The good book and author thread

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: The good book and author thread

Postby Simon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:12 pm

Anne Tyler - A Spool of Blue Thread

Man Booker Prize will be announced on October 13, so I'll better read that shortlist...

Since 2013 American authors are allowed as well, and this year, there are a LOT of Americans running for the Booker. Anne Tyler, winner of the Pulitzer prize, is shortlisted with her latest novel about the Whitshanks. On 400 pages, Tyler tells the story of a middle class family living in Baltimore. Her chapters move back and forth in time and all in all we get to know 3 (if you count the latest children, it's 4) generations and Tyler draws a vivid picture of impressive seven (!) decades.
This is a prime example of a novel I like. Bad thing is, novels I like cannot really be summarized like a crime novel (A woman is found dead with an exotic tattoo on her back. bla bla bla). What the reader of Spool of Blue Thread witnesses is really just an ordinary family, who, as every family, has a certain image of itself, but really has some darker secrets. This book is about everything that life consists of: sex, birth, death, and everything in between. love, hate, pride, health, illness and so on.
I immediately accepted the novel after a couple of pages and already liked some characters and was curious about them. Only flaw I see in this novel is that after a while I could not keep track of all the characters. Especially when the youngest children come visiting. Too many names, and many jumps in time made it a bit confusing, even though I read the book in just a couple of days.
In a nutshell, it really IS a lovely read. My prediction is, however, that it will not win the Booker Prize next week. Even though it is about something important: family, it does not feel like it is important enough for the Man Booker. And it might be almost "too readable".

Next up will be A Little Life. But more about that later.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Love this review, Simon. :D
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby icy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:33 am

Tonight I finished David Bergen's The Retreat. A very well written book, I can't say I enjoyed it, but it was a very good book, it left me wanting more from the characters, and from the author.Literally it kept me awake for a couple of nights.
Started reading Songs Without Words by Ann Packer just now.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:39 am

Simon wrote:Anne Tyler - A Spool of Blue Thread

Man Booker Prize will be announced on October 13, so I'll better read that shortlist...

Since 2013 American authors are allowed as well, and this year, there are a LOT of Americans running for the Booker. Anne Tyler, winner of the Pulitzer prize, is shortlisted with her latest novel about the Whitshanks. On 400 pages, Tyler tells the story of a middle class family living in Baltimore. Her chapters move back and forth in time and all in all we get to know 3 (if you count the latest children, it's 4) generations and Tyler draws a vivid picture of impressive seven (!) decades.
This is a prime example of a novel I like. Bad thing is, novels I like cannot really be summarized like a crime novel (A woman is found dead with an exotic tattoo on her back. bla bla bla). What the reader of Spool of Blue Thread witnesses is really just an ordinary family, who, as every family, has a certain image of itself, but really has some darker secrets. This book is about everything that life consists of: sex, birth, death, and everything in between. love, hate, pride, health, illness and so on.
I immediately accepted the novel after a couple of pages and already liked some characters and was curious about them. Only flaw I see in this novel is that after a while I could not keep track of all the characters. Especially when the youngest children come visiting. Too many names, and many jumps in time made it a bit confusing, even though I read the book in just a couple of days.
In a nutshell, it really IS a lovely read. My prediction is, however, that it will not win the Booker Prize next week. Even though it is about something important: family, it does not feel like it is important enough for the Man Booker. And it might be almost "too readable".

Next up will be A Little Life. But more about that later.

Have you read more books by Anne Tyler? I'm reading Digging To America by Anne Tyler currently. I hope to get more into it this weekend. Once again, you have influenced me to check out a new to me author and buying a book :D

Not sure which book to read next. I had a lovely surprise this week, I got a lovely note from Jennifer Robson. I do own After The War Is Over by said author. I've been reading many heavy subject matter books lately, so I should read something more lighthearted. I don't have many of those type of books :sos:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:15 am

Deafening by Frances Itani....very engrossing.
Very detailed and in depth because the main character is deaf. I'm in the part where she attends school for the deaf.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby icy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:58 am

action wrote:donna tartt - the goldfinch

chronicles the life of a boy that lost his family. it's full of great moments, friendship, lost loves and loved-ones.

it's also super thrilling and paranoia.

I purchased this book on Monday. I prob shouldn't have after the grief I got for my books just days ago, but I remembered you mentioned it, and of course wanted to read it ever since. I hope to read it in the next few weeks.

Deafening was an amazing book, very bittersweet. I so want to read to read the follow up.
Right now reading The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty. A compelling but creepy read.
Getting back into it after a few days of not reading even a page. I missed it!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:20 am

I don't think I will be reading the 2nd Harper Lee book, Go Set A Watchman, after all. Yesterday there was a special on PBS that was about the play that is being done by someone. I got in on that part, late. There were a lot of teens talking about the story and it sounded like Harper Lee really made that book be a racist piece of junk. The kids were all into it, too. Smh! I don't want to ruin my memories of To Kill A Mockingbird which I have on VHS, no less. In fact, I about know the story by heart, word for word, because I often play it when I go to sleep. I loved Scout back then and Boo Radley, Atticus and the rest of the cast. This play is most likely a good rendition of the 2nd book and it just kinda made me mad, seeing what I did. It will probably be repeated numerous times where I may be able to see the whole thing. Until then, forget it. I will stick with the original.
Yeah, I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
The moon has gone behind the cloud again
And I can't stand to live another day
'Cause my bluebird went away

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby icy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:29 am

Innuendoes wrote:I don't think I will be reading the 2nd Harper Lee book, Go Set A Watchman, after all. Yesterday there was a special on PBS that was about the play that is being done by someone. I got in on that part, late. There were a lot of teens talking about the story and it sounded like Harper Lee really made that book be a racist piece of junk. The kids were all into it, too. Smh! I don't want to ruin my memories of To Kill A Mockingbird which I have on VHS, no less. In fact, I about know the story by heart, word for word, because I often play it when I go to sleep. I loved Scout back then and Boo Radley, Atticus and the rest of the cast. This play is most likely a good rendition of the 2nd book and it just kinda made me mad, seeing what I did. It will probably be repeated numerous times where I may be able to see the whole thing. Until then, forget it. I will stick with the original.

I've read many views about GSAW...I don't plan on reading it either.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions