Playstation

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Playstation

Postby Simon » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:09 am

Sorry guys if this is not the right subforum. Move if it needs to move. But since even literary and cultural studies have started analysing video games, why not here...
Anyway, I stopped playing video games in the mid 90s when other 'thing' became more interesting. Except for a brief reaquaintance with video games about 7 years ago, I haven't been paying attention to the developments at all. One year ago, I was bound to be home for several weeks after a minor operation so I decided to buy a PS4 to entertain myself. I have to confess I am hooked... It started with the Uncharted series, then I bought Until Dawn which offers such a great atmosphere, and then I started playing The Last of Us which probably is one of the best games I ever played. (Actually I am still loving the multiplayer game, so if anyone is interested, let me know).
Anyway, I wanted to know if there are more PS4 players out there. What games can you recommend, which games would you advise to avoid?
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Playstation

Postby Tarkus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:47 pm

I also have a PS4- I didn't want to upgrade my XB360 to an XBone. I like playing fantasy RPGs, so my first purchase was Dragon Age: Inquisition, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I also have Witcher 3, among other games, although I haven't got around to playing that one in depth yet. I love the Lego games just for their sheer, mad genius- of those I have the Lego Hobbit and Lego Marvel Superheroes. Diablo 3 is good if you have mates to team up with online or off, and you fancy a mad dungeon bash, although the main game I play now, almost to the point of addiction, is World Of Tanks.

It's free to install, although you can pay for premium tanks and extras to help you along the way. I've played this game almost every day since I installed it in February- it's a combat simulator that uses WW2 era tanks in teams of 15, battling it out in various arenas, or maps. Each vehicle is classified by tiers, to make sure you don't get incredibly overpowered battle tanks playing against lightly armoured early war relics, and the teams are completely random, so you get tanks from all nationalities in each team. The nations used in the game are UK, USA, France, Germany, Japan, China and USSR, and it's absolutely addictive. You start with an early tank in the nation of your choice, and upgrade it, working your way up until you get increasingly sophisticated and powerful vehicles. Premium tanks are special ones you can pay for, which are used to train tank crews and earn silver, the in-game currency used to buy upgrades and better tanks. Certain achievements in the game earn medals for each vehicle, and promote the ranks of your crew. I created a Youtube channel to save and upload some of my more memorable battles for posterity, and to share with the online World Of Tanks community. Here's a video of mine showing one of my favourite Japanese tanks in action...

phpBB [video]

Tarkus

Postby action » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 pm

i don't like sony and their remasterstation.

i'm more a nintendo 64 kind of guy 8-)
fire and fury, like the world has never seen!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

the time of action starts now

Postby bigV » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Bought my PS4 last year and I love it! I like the Assassin's Creed series - always have (except the first one), so I bought the PS4 mostly for the new AC games. I'd recommend AC Black Flag - even though it's showing its age, it's a fantastic game. Nothing beats boarding a ship, it never gets old. Avoid AC Unity - if you're a hardcore fan of the series you might like it, but otherwise it will put you off. If you've never played an Assassin's Creed game before, Syndicate would be a very good place to start. It's a very immediate game, it drops you straight in the action and it's fantastic (I Platinum-ed it)

But I'm still not convinced why I should pay for PS Plus. The monthly games are a joke and I'm just not that into multiplayer games. I prefer the single player experience - a warrior alone against the world.

So... it really depends what kinds of games you like, Simon. If you're into stealth/action games, you can't go wrong with the Assassin's Creed series. FPS - don't bother with the new CoD games, I'd recommend Battlefield 4 and 1. Also, Far Cry Primal is rather nice (I Platinum-ed this one too).

Sadly, there are no decent racers on PS4. At least until the new Gran Turismo is released. NFS Rivals might be your best bet if you're looking for a driving game.

PM me your Online ID if you'd like me to add you on PSN.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby action » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Last edited by action on Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
fire and fury, like the world has never seen!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

the time of action starts now

Postby bigV » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:34 pm

I think I've outgrown Nintendo... Although I must say that Breath of the Wild looks delicious. But if I had to pick between it and Red Dead Redemption 2, the latter wins by far.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Return to Another World