17 at 17

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: 17 at 17

Postby The Milkman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:56 pm

I fell in love with this woman's work as soon as I heard this track. Huge female vocal fan here and she has one of the best.

phpBB [video]

IMHO this eclectic album was Prince at his creative peak.

phpBB [video]

Great track from the synthpop masters.

phpBB [video]
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Broooklyn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 am

I knew I could count on Milky to post the Pets! Luv ya!
ImageImageImage

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

QOL'er in Black

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Broooklyn wrote:I knew I could count on Milky to post the Pets! Luv ya!

There was no way in hell I was leaving them off the list.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby The Milkman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:04 pm

"And the pain was enough to make a shy, bald, buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder"

phpBB [video]

This song peaked at #40 on the US singles chart making it the first Cure song to make the US top 40. A much catchier song than their top ten hit "Lovesong" but it just never took off.

phpBB [video]

Only three more to go. PM me if you would like to go next.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby The Milkman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:51 pm

Here's the final three. The last two would also be on my favorite songs of all time list.

Favorite song from my favorite album by one of my favorite bands. Quite the departure from their critically acclaimed debut.

phpBB [video]

:-( This to me is his best vocal performance. So much emotion in this one.

phpBB [video]

I've been bored with this band for years but they used to be one of my favorites.

phpBB [video]

Broooklyn let's see your list.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 am

Sir Didymus wrote:I believe the first time a "punk" band appeared on Top of the Pops was actually April 1977, when 'pub rock' band Eddie & The Hot Rods performed "I Might Be Lying". This wasn't even in the top 40 at the time, and isn't quite full blown punk rock (it's more a rockabilly revival than anything), but this was of course some time after the Pistols had supported them at the Marquee and trashed their gear. As the band are still playing punk festivals to this day, that's got to count for something, right?

The following month, Dr. Feelgood performed "Lights Out" on TOTP, and the following week The Jam were on with "In The City". Next up were The Stranglers with "Go Buddy Go" in June, and still the Pistols were being deliberately ignored. Finally, they turned up on 14th July 1977, with a video insert of "Pretty Vacant". The only other time they were played on the show prior to their split was "Holidays in the Sun" over the end credits one week. It wasn't until 1979 that John Lydon was finally allowed on the show in person with Public Image Ltd, while The Sex Pistols themselves finally played on the show in 1996!

And of course, I'd argue that neither Eddie & The Hot Rods, Dr Feelgood, The Jam OR The Stranglers were actually what you'd call looking back as "punk" bands. At the time, Dire Straits were breaking through, and one of the so called music rags called them a "punk" band, retrospectively just plain ridiculous.

Being honest, I was there at the time, and I didn't really know what was what. So many new things coming through that had elements of this, and a little bit of that thrown in. Siouxsie And The Banshees - punk, Adam And The Ants - Not punk, yet some people who'd been working with the former were in the latter.

As regards America, and American punk rock bands, most of them didn't know exactly what they were until after the Pistols had made it. It was a bandwagon so many people jumped aboard because it summed them up better than any other tag could.

Hear about the punk rocker who went to the toilet? Pulled the chain, and his ear fell off.

These days, you go into HMV, and Elvis Presley is classed as Country And Western. I mean! :shock:
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:07 am

Milky, man, thanks for the nomination, but pass it on to someone else. I will not have the time to move this thread forward.
ImageImageImage

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

QOL'er in Black

Postby The Milkman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Broooklyn wrote:Milky, man, thanks for the nomination, but pass it on to someone else. I will not have the time to move this thread forward.

Capt. it looks like you are the only other person checking this thread out so will you give it a go?

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:12 pm

OK, I'll have a go. It looks like I'm a year younger than Milkman, so there may be a little crossover here.

I was 17 in 1988 - not, in my opinion, a vintage year for music. I was more of a fan of the early to mid eighties and I felt that chart music was starting to go downhill by this point, with Acid House and the like coming in (you won't be seeing Yazz and the Plastic Population in my list!).

So, in no particular order, I'll start with one of my favourites from this year. It went on to become bigger than this, but I still love hearing the original version. You may know it.

While you are imagining, imagine, for instance...

phpBB [video]
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:18 pm

And while I'm here, I'll get another one up.

In '88 I was starting at college as part of an apprenticeship. At lunch we often went to the pub just down the road and this song seemed to be forever on the video jukebox. I still get a buzz whenever I hear it come on the radio and I finally downloaded it only last week.

phpBB [video]
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby WeeMann » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:15 am

I'm going to stick with pop for the next couple. One that I always enjoyed is this:

phpBB [video]

And this next one was another that was always on the jukebox in the pub

phpBB [video]

This, and Cuddly Toy, always bring back memories of those pub lunches. Looking back it was a rough pub (and I wouldn't go in there now!), but we loved it. Outside of college we'd go in with my friends in the evenings and at weekends.

WeeMann

Postby JLP » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

Perfect was one of the first songs we adopted as a couple when we were dating. One of y friends serenaded us with the song from halfway up a circular staircase in a city centre pub.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby WeeMann » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Another one that I just like.

phpBB [video]

WeeMann

Postby WeeMann » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Not one of my favourite Jarre tracks (and not one of my favourite albums), but I grew up listening to Hank Marvin as my Mum is a big fan and I was at this concert in the Docklands in 1989. I remember watching it later on TV and seeing my girlfriend on screen and also the 7 foot tall guy who I was standing next to, but I'll be buggered if I can find either shot now!

phpBB [video]

WeeMann

Previous

Return to Another World