17 at 17

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Tarkus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Thank you both! Another few to keep it going for a while...

This next one comes from my favourite all-time female artiste, Kate Bush. I remember late at night one Saturday, her concert at Hammersmith Odeon was broadcast on TV, and since I saw that, I was smitten by the lady and her incredible music. This one is possibly the first time she'd used her favourite Fairlight synthesiser to lay the basics of the track down, and it supplied the drum sampling for an absolutely bonkers and hypnotic rhythm. This is Sat In Your Lap, from her album The Dreaming- the single was released around April 1981, and the album came 15 months later, in 1982.

phpBB [video]

I got a fever...and the prescription- is more cowbell!!! 1981 saw the Blue öyster Cult release their album Fire Of Unkown Origin, and this was the single from that album- I was surprised to see the track included on the playlist for the Guitar Hero video game, but I soon realised how fun it was belting out the bass riff all these years later. This is called Burnin' For You, and this video is a live cut from that very year...

phpBB [video]

And now, for some vintage cheese, and a guilty pleasure. I've always loved Journey, and in 1981, they followed their album Captured with the absolute belter Escape. This song is the main single from there,and many people will recognise this song when it was covered on Glee. (shudders). This song is the American Dream set to music, and it's the classic original four-chord song that has been the blueprint for EVERY rock and pop classic ever since.. Don't Stop Believin'. This is another live cut from that year.

phpBB [video]

Now for a change of pace, and the first of the collaborations I hinted at earlier. Yes had released their album Drama in the year prior, uniting with Geoff Downes and Trevor Horn of The Buggles, as their singer Jon Anderson went his own way for a bit. He'd come back for the 1983 belter 90125, but in 1981, he collaborated with Aphrodite's Child keyboard maestro Vangelis for a couple of albums- this is from The Friends Of Mr. Cairo, and it's the single I'll Find My Way Home. This was all over the radio during the summer of that year, and I absolutely loved it...

phpBB [video]

If I have time, I may put up a couple more tomorrow, but I can't make an promises- so for now... enjoy!

Tarkus

Postby soxtalon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:28 am

Journey has always been a guilty pleasure go-to band for me. Interestingly enough to me and as far as I can tell a blasphemous reaction around here but I have never rated Kate Bush. I don't get the hype there.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Tarkus wrote:And now to the video that helped shape fashion trends for the decade. First released in 1980 and taken from his album Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), this was re-released in 1981 to coincide with his second greatest hits compilation, ChangesTwo, which is how I managed to wangle it in here. This is the timeless, peerless, ubersapien David Bowie, with the timeless, peerless uberclassic Ashes To Ashes. Bowie will also feature again later, but as part of a collaboration. (I wonder what that will be, hmm? ;-) )

Wangle all you like but Ashes was not re-released in 1981. The single to promote ChangesTwoBowie was Wild Is The Wind from STS.
http://www.last.fm/user/WillieTheGimp
Maud R. Fokker
Hugh Jardon
Cox Ucker

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Has spanked: 5049 times / Been spanked: 0 times

Postby Elessar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:
The single to promote ChangesTwoBowie was Wild Is The Wind from STS.

My favourite song of his, and it isn't even 'his'!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Tarkus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:01 am

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:
Tarkus wrote:And now to the video that helped shape fashion trends for the decade. First released in 1980 and taken from his album Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), this was re-released in 1981 to coincide with his second greatest hits compilation, ChangesTwo, which is how I managed to wangle it in here. This is the timeless, peerless, ubersapien David Bowie, with the timeless, peerless uberclassic Ashes To Ashes. Bowie will also feature again later, but as part of a collaboration. (I wonder what that will be, hmm? ;-) )

Wangle all you like but Ashes was not re-released in 1981. The single to promote ChangesTwoBowie was Wild Is The Wind from STS.

ChangestwoBowie was released in 1981, and Ashes was one of the tracks on that album. I bought that album in 1981 mainly for Ashes, so my decision stands.

OK, now to get to the bands formed from the break-up of older bands, which is where my next three tracks come from. Deep Purple had gone their separate ways a few years previously, and three other bands came from the ashes of Purple to carry on the legacy. All three had albums out in 81, and thanks to the growing New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) with the likes of Saxon, Iron Maiden and others, many new metal fans also took to these bands, and from them discovered Deep Purple and the origins of the genre.

Purple's drummer, Ian Paice, keyboardist Jon Lord, and vocalist David Coverdale, formed the blues-rock outfit Whitesnake, who in 81 released the album 'Come And Get It', and this track comes from there- called Would I Lie To You?
phpBB [video]

Meanwhile, Purple guitarist Ritchie Blackmore was having considerable success with his band Rainbow, and the album they released in 1981 was Difficult To Cure. This was the single from that album, called I Surrender...
phpBB [video]

The remaining track I'll feature was from Purple's other most well-known vocalist Ian Gillan, with his self-titled band. Their 1981 release was called Future Shock, and the single from that has possibly the most well-known and easy to remember choruses of any rock song, ever. The track is called New Orleans- so repeat after me.. "I said hey, hey, hey, yeah..."
phpBB [video]

More tomorrow...

Tarkus

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Tarkus wrote:ChangestwoBowie was released in 1981, and Ashes was one of the tracks on that album. I bought that album in 1981 mainly for Ashes, so my decision stands.

That was a compilation of tracks recorded between 1971 & 1980. You don't seem to have grasped the concept of this topic.
http://www.last.fm/user/WillieTheGimp
Maud R. Fokker
Hugh Jardon
Cox Ucker

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Has spanked: 5049 times / Been spanked: 0 times

Postby Tarkus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:34 am

The thread's opening post stipulates songs released in one's 17th year. Changestwo was released in 1981- I don't care when it was f*cking recorded. If you think you can make a better compilation, then do so when your time comes- until then, I'm doing my stint. Oh, and FYI- good work, fella- your hostility towards my part of this thread has already deterred the person whom i wanted to go up next, so I'll have to look for another candidate- hint: It won't be you just yet...

Tarkus

Postby Tarkus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:13 am

Right- three more, which will bring me up to 14 so far. This next band I've loved for absolutely aaages, and in 1981, they released the stonkingly incredible album Moving Pictures. The band is Rush, and this is the single from that album, Tom Sawyer.

phpBB [video]

This next one is from another artiste who went solo to forge her own career outside of the band she's normally known for performing with. I became aware of her solo stuff in the same way I did Kate Bush, insofar as a late night BBC showing of one of her concerts turned me on to how f*cking awesome she is as a solo artist. All I knew back then was that this was an incredibly gorgeous woman, with a wonderful dress-sense- very gypsy inspired, gothic and floaty, with one hell of a distinctive voice. This track is called Edge Of Seventeen.

phpBB [video]

In my first post, I mentioned that John Lennon would crop up again, and here it is, as stated earlier, not performed by the man himself. Several artists got together to make a tribute album of John's music, and this was one of the singles from that album. The band is Brian Ferry and Roxy Music, the track is Jealous Guy. Love this version.

phpBB [video]

My final three will be tomorrow, as well as my nomination for who's up next.

Tarkus

Postby The Milkman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am

Tarkus wrote:
phpBB [video]

That would have been on my 1981 list as well. :thumbsup:
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:03 pm

A couple of bits of interest about "some" of the tracks featured.

Vienna -Ultravox. As Vienna-ish as the video "may" look, it was actually shot in Covent Garden, London.

Kate Bush's The Dreaming album features my favourite track of her's, called 'Night Of The Swallow', a little story about smugglers and aeroplanes. Oh, and Ms Bush is a LONG way off being over-rated. IMHO, she has written some of the finest pieces of music EVER written by a British female, and crazy as it may sound, actually holds the record of being the first female ever to get a UK number one with one of her own songs.

Journey's Escape album was co-produced by Mike Stone, who coincidentally had followed the band's previous producer, a guy called Roy Thomas Baker. Wonder where we've heard those names before?

Being fair, with the Bowie thing, you "could" have had 'Under Pressure', not exactly the worst track he ever worked on. :lookround:
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Tarkus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Kes wrote:Being fair, with the Bowie thing, you "could" have had 'Under Pressure', not exactly the worst track he ever worked on. :lookround:

Under Pressure is one of my final three! :lookround:

Tarkus

Postby Sir Didymus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Just catching up on this thread. JLP tagged me in a Facebook update along these lines a while back, but I kept meaning to check out the actual thread.

So far some great choices all round.... a few comments associated with certain songs below. Feel free to ignore. ;)

Spoiler! :
Elessar wrote:5. Feeder - Just The Way I'm Feeling
Single: 13/01/03
#10 in UK charts
Not a band I've ever been particularly enthusiastic about, but they were very successful during this era. I saw them supporting The Rolling Stones in 2006.

Feeder's best album was 'Yesterday Went Too Soon' in 1998. They did go on to have huge success, but I found that fun went out of them after their original drummer committed suicide... understandably so. This is one of the few songs post Jon Lee that I actually enjoyed.

Elessar wrote:Jackson was in the news last week when a Sky comedy starring Joseph Fiennes as MJ was cancelled following complaints made after the trailer was broadcast. This was a rare act of humanity by part of the Murdoch empire. Jackson's teenage daughter was one of the many criticised the show. She attempted suicide around 4 years after her father's death, and despite being a teenage girl making no effort to be in the media limelight, it was all over the news. Freedom of press is great but with it comes responsibility, and if that's not a responsibility to the mental health of troubled teenage girls, it's certainly a responsibility to shareholders who probably don't want their investment to have to shell out a huge payout to aforementioned teenage girl who has access to huge amounts of money with which she could sue them.

Still can't quite believe the team behind that show made such a monumental error of judgement. I know the writer and director as their previous work (and much of this series of Urban Myths) is material I've been plugging, and they're good folk, who I think genuinely didn't think it'd be an issue. Their subsequent vilification has been horrible to watch, and the saddest part is that the rest of the Urban Myths series has been uniformly brilliant, particular the one with Eddie Marsan as Bob Dylan, and Iwan Rheon's stint as young Adolf Hitler. Check 'em out if you can!

Elessar wrote:14. David Bowie - The Loneliest Guy
From 'Reality': 16/09/03
I wasn't aware of this album until a good few years later when my ongoing Bowie phase began. It's not a great album but this is one of the better tracks. If I was only a year or two older, not only would this series be about 2001 instead of 2003 (not much of an improvement), but perhaps I would have seen Bowie on his 2003-04 tour, which proved to be his last.

It's all about Bring Me The Disco King for me...

Kes wrote:The birth of punk rock, and my favourite record from the genre. 'Anarchy In The UK' by the Sex Pistols. Released on EMI Records, and when Queen couldn't make a planned promo visit to the Bill Grundy Show, then EMI put forward their new band, to fill the slot. Fortunately for them, and unfortunately for Mr Grundy, the band turned up a bit the worse for drink, and went about generating as much publicity as possible on live TV. After this appearance the label dropped them like a hot potato, and instantly deleted the single. The Pistols weren't THAT bothered, they'd already been paid for the release, and would get a whole lot more for their later record deal with Richard Branson's Virgin label.

Still an incredible slice of energy. Not really the birth by any stretch of the imagination, but the moment it exploded into the public eye and then gobbed in it.

soxtalon wrote:16/17

Nirvana - All Apologies

My friends were much bigger Nirvana fans than I was. I tended to go for musical skill, production, lush soundscapes but occasionally the raw feeling of Cobain did seep through and never more than this track. This one still resonates with me.

Fantastic track. Still feels so utterly visceral.

Tarkus wrote:1980 was the year we lost John Lennon to the obsessed psychofan Mark Chapman, and the world was still reeling from the shock. His album Double Fantasy topped the charts for the rest of the year and the beginning of 81, and this single, Starting Over, was one of the first hits of the year. There will be more of Lennon later on, although not performed by the man himself...

(Just Like) Starting Over has become one of my absolute favourite songs. As the years go by, it resonates with me more and more. The Stripped version is lovely too.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby Tarkus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:57 am

Thanks for the kind words, Dids- the cheque is in the post! :lol:

Now to my final three.

Upthread, I listed Phil Collins' solo classic 'In The Air Tonight', and later in the same year, he released an album with Genesis, called Abacab. This is the title track and single from that album.

phpBB [video]

Next up is a classic track from an absolute stonker of an album, as I'm sure Kes and Champs would agree. I was a fan of this band since Out Of The Blue, and in 1981, the Electric Light Orchestra released a concept album called Time, which was themed around a character from the 1980s transported into the future world of the year 2095. Possibly one of their best albums ever, and Jeff Lynne's writing was arguably at its' peak here- my second-favourite track of this year is from Time, and is the album opener, Prologue/Twilight. There was no official video for this one, and most of the live footage I found had bad sound quality, but this fan-made video looks the business, and gives the track a visual sense of wonder to match the audio.

phpBB [video]

So, my favourite track of the year? This is QOL, it's a no-brainer, and being a Bowie fan, it's double the wow factor. released at the tail end of the year as a single, later to feature on 1982's Hot Space, was possibly the greatest collaboration in the history of collaborations- the peerless, timeless ubarsapien David Bowie, paired with the peerless, timeless uberfrontman Freddie Mercury in easily the best Queen+ track ever recorded, Under Pressure.

phpBB [video]

And that's my 17 at 17 done. A year of some classic tracks, and a collaboration between my two favourite male artistes of them all, who were both tragically taken from us at the peak of their creativity, and we may never see their like again- but for one, brief, shining moment, they united to make a track that would stand out in BOTH their catalogues- you couldn't really ask for more from two such unique and peerless artists, could you? And my favourite female artiste of them all was also entering into the golden age of her career, where her songwriting talent ultimately blossomed into the musical chameleon that enchants and enthralls us still. What a year- and what utterly bloody wonderful music.

Thanks for the chance to go down memory lane, it's been a blast- and now I'd like to hand over the baton to The Milkman- over to you!

Tarkus

Postby The Milkman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:55 am

Tarkus wrote:
phpBB [video]

Believe it or not that's my favorite Genesis album. :thumbsup: I know a lot of fans dislike that one but I adore it.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Postby The Milkman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks Tarkus! This is a lot harder than I thought. My year is 1987 and a lot of my favorite bands released albums that year. One of them (R.E.M.) didn't even make the cut. :shock: This list is not in any kind of order but I will save my favorite song until last. Here we go....

I'm more of a Roger Waters fan and he did release Radio K.A.O.S. in 1987, but it didn't have a strong enough song to make the cut. Not a very big fan of MLOR but I love this track.

phpBB [video]

Another album I'm not really fond of with a killer track.

phpBB [video]

This song was a hit in the US but I never see it on any of his greatest hits collections. Strange because I think it's one of his very best songs. I can listen to this one over and over again and never get tired of it.

phpBB [video]

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Another World