17 at 17

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: 17 at 17

Postby JLP » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:52 am

Tarkus wrote:The thread's opening post stipulates songs released in one's 17th year. Changestwo was released in 1981- I don't care when it was f*cking recorded. If you think you can make a better compilation, then do so when your time comes- until then, I'm doing my stint. Oh, and FYI- good work, fella- your hostility towards my part of this thread has already deterred the person whom i wanted to go up next, so I'll have to look for another candidate- hint: It won't be you just yet...


When I did my year, I deliberately avoided greatest hits and compilations as I think the original concept on Facebook said original music only. But if it is a song that influenced your taste, fair play.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10146
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 377 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby soxtalon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Good start Milkman! Wasn't a huge fan of that Floyd album (though I loved the Waterless Division Bell a few years later) but I agree KAOS was simply okay.

Great Springsteen track also!
 
soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2317
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Albany, NY
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Kes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:

Kes wrote:The birth of punk rock, and my favourite record from the genre. 'Anarchy In The UK' by the Sex Pistols. Released on EMI Records, and when Queen couldn't make a planned promo visit to the Bill Grundy Show, then EMI put forward their new band, to fill the slot. Fortunately for them, and unfortunately for Mr Grundy, the band turned up a bit the worse for drink, and went about generating as much publicity as possible on live TV. After this appearance the label dropped them like a hot potato, and instantly deleted the single. The Pistols weren't THAT bothered, they'd already been paid for the release, and would get a whole lot more for their later record deal with Richard Branson's Virgin label.


Still an incredible slice of energy. Not really the birth by any stretch of the imagination, but the moment it exploded into the public eye and then gobbed in it.



If we're being really technical, 96 Tears by ? & The Mysterians from 1966 "could" be labelled as the first punk rock record, or if you're of the opinion the 60s couldn't have produced a record from this genre, then New Rose by The Damned, No Fun by The Stooges, or if you're American, a handful from The Ramones, ANYWHERE could be your starting point. Either way, "most" people only knew it existed when the Sex Pistols arrived.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14214
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Kes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:10 pm

JLP wrote:
Tarkus wrote:The thread's opening post stipulates songs released in one's 17th year. Changestwo was released in 1981- I don't care when it was f*cking recorded. If you think you can make a better compilation, then do so when your time comes- until then, I'm doing my stint. Oh, and FYI- good work, fella- your hostility towards my part of this thread has already deterred the person whom i wanted to go up next, so I'll have to look for another candidate- hint: It won't be you just yet...


When I did my year, I deliberately avoided greatest hits and compilations as I think the original concept on Facebook said original music only. But if it is a song that influenced your taste, fair play.


I used a live take of Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven. The song itself was first released in 1971. The live version I used was recorded in 1973. But THAT live album was FIRST released in my chosen year, so I reckon all in all that was fair.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14214
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Elessar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Hey, one of my tracks was a 1989 song, recorded for a live album in 2001 that was released in 2003, my 17th year.

If we're allowing that, I think we can allow most forms of cheatery!
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Kes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Anything "released" in your year.

It doesn't really matter a fuck when it was recorded, as if it wasn't released, it is unlikely to have been influential to you in that year. In my case, I played the arse off The Song Remains The Same in 1976, the very same year it was released.

"Cheating" would have been if my year was 1988, and even though it was released in 1976, I didn't buy the album until 1988. That's cheating!
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14214
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Tarkus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Good openers, Milkman! Nice to see Floyd get some appreciation, and Marillion, too. Definitely more of a fan of the Fish era than Steve Hogarth, so to see some Fish era stuff is a bonus.
 
Tarkus
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: 17 at 17

Postby The Milkman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Tarkus wrote:Good openers, Milkman! Nice to see Floyd get some appreciation, and Marillion, too. Definitely more of a fan of the Fish era than Steve Hogarth, so to see some Fish era stuff is a bonus.



Thanks! The only Marillion album I own without Fish is Brave. Not a big fan of it but I really should check out more of their work. My faves are Script and Childhood.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5292
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby The Milkman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:48 pm

soxtalon wrote:Good start Milkman! Wasn't a huge fan of that Floyd album (though I loved the Waterless Division Bell a few years later) but I agree KAOS was simply okay.

Great Springsteen track also!



Thank you! I really like Radio KAOS but it just sounds so dated now. It looks like his new album is coming soon. Can't wait for that one because he's been working with Radiohead's producer Nigel Godrich.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5292
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby The Milkman » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:05 pm

This one is from one of the greatest rock albums of the '80s. A little cheesy and a little sleazy but a damn fine album.

phpBB [video]



I believe this is the second Jim Steinman produced track on this thread.


phpBB [video]



They only had two songs to crack the U.S. top 40 and this was the first one.


phpBB [video]
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5292
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Kes wrote:If we're being really technical, 96 Tears by ? & The Mysterians from 1966 "could" be labelled as the first punk rock record, or if you're of the opinion the 60s couldn't have produced a record from this genre, then New Rose by The Damned, No Fun by The Stooges, or if you're American, a handful from The Ramones, ANYWHERE could be your starting point. Either way, "most" people only knew it existed when the Sex Pistols arrived.


That was my point, in a nutshell. The Sex Pistols were the public face of the punk explosion, and who most people heard first... though as you rightly pointed out, New Rose by The Damned was the first proper 'punk' single, and lots of other artists prior to that were making proto-punk music beforehand.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count
 
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2323
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Manchester, mostly.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby The Milkman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
Kes wrote:If we're being really technical, 96 Tears by ? & The Mysterians from 1966 "could" be labelled as the first punk rock record, or if you're of the opinion the 60s couldn't have produced a record from this genre, then New Rose by The Damned, No Fun by The Stooges, or if you're American, a handful from The Ramones, ANYWHERE could be your starting point. Either way, "most" people only knew it existed when the Sex Pistols arrived.


That was my point, in a nutshell. The Sex Pistols were the public face of the punk explosion, and who most people heard first... though as you rightly pointed out, New Rose by The Damned was the first proper 'punk' single, and lots of other artists prior to that were making proto-punk music beforehand.


Wasn't Blitzkrieg Bop released before New Rose or are you just talking about in the UK?
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5292
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby The Milkman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Released just a few days after my 17th birthday.

phpBB [video]



Really don't know why I love this song so much but I just do.


phpBB [video]



Probably the best DM song to see live. The crowd really digs this one.

phpBB [video]
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5292
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:14 pm

JLP wrote:
Tarkus wrote:The thread's opening post stipulates songs released in one's 17th year. Changestwo was released in 1981- I don't care when it was f*cking recorded. If you think you can make a better compilation, then do so when your time comes- until then, I'm doing my stint. Oh, and FYI- good work, fella- your hostility towards my part of this thread has already deterred the person whom i wanted to go up next, so I'll have to look for another candidate- hint: It won't be you just yet...


When I did my year, I deliberately avoided greatest hits and compilations as I think the original concept on Facebook said original music only. But if it is a song that influenced your taste, fair play.


No, you definitely said re-releases were not allowed.
http://www.last.fm/user/WillieTheGimp
______________________________________________________________________________
These users thanked the author Capt. Den Ronson for the post:
Lik Mai Dong
Phil McAvity
Maud R. Fokker
Hugh Jardon
Cox Ucker
 
Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

Has spanked: 5049 times / Been spanked: 0 times

      
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: 17 at 17

Postby Sir Didymus » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:38 pm

The Milkman wrote:
Sir Didymus wrote:
Kes wrote:If we're being really technical, 96 Tears by ? & The Mysterians from 1966 "could" be labelled as the first punk rock record, or if you're of the opinion the 60s couldn't have produced a record from this genre, then New Rose by The Damned, No Fun by The Stooges, or if you're American, a handful from The Ramones, ANYWHERE could be your starting point. Either way, "most" people only knew it existed when the Sex Pistols arrived.


That was my point, in a nutshell. The Sex Pistols were the public face of the punk explosion, and who most people heard first... though as you rightly pointed out, New Rose by The Damned was the first proper 'punk' single, and lots of other artists prior to that were making proto-punk music beforehand.


Wasn't Blitzkrieg Bop released before New Rose or are you just talking about in the UK?


Just the UK. But that's a point too. Technically you can go even earlier - things like Patti Smith's Horses in the US, and Ian Dury's early work in "pub rock" band Kilburn and the High Roads - all point towards 'punk' before the Pistols. And John Lydon himself wrote in the sleeve notes for Alice Cooper's late 90s boxset how pretty much everything he did Cooper did first, and better. It's not so clean-cut, really. The genre was forming for a long time before Malcolm McLaren got involved, but what he DID do, was send it careering onto the front pages of every newspaper in the country, and that inevitably got it to make a bigger dent in the charts.

The Pistols Bill Grundy incident was, as Kes rightly pointed out, when most people in England first heard of punk. Interested in this topic, I was then curious at what point Top of the Pops gave in and started having punk bands on the show, so had a look at 76/77 listings for the show to see what other first tasters people may have had who didn't see the infamous interview. So if you fancy a sidetrack to the main event, see the spoiler box... now on with the show!

Spoiler! :
I believe the first time a "punk" band appeared on Top of the Pops was actually April 1977, when 'pub rock' band Eddie & The Hot Rods performed "I Might Be Lying". This wasn't even in the top 40 at the time, and isn't quite full blown punk rock (it's more a rockabilly revival than anything), but this was of course some time after the Pistols had supported them at the Marquee and trashed their gear. As the band are still playing punk festivals to this day, that's got to count for something, right?

The following month, Dr. Feelgood performed "Lights Out" on TOTP, and the following week The Jam were on with "In The City". Next up were The Stranglers with "Go Buddy Go" in June, and still the Pistols were being deliberately ignored. Finally, they turned up on 14th July 1977, with a video insert of "Pretty Vacant". The only other time they were played on the show prior to their split was "Holidays in the Sun" over the end credits one week. It wasn't until 1979 that John Lydon was finally allowed on the show in person with Public Image Ltd, while The Sex Pistols themselves finally played on the show in 1996!
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count
 
Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2323
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Manchester, mostly.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 43 times

PreviousNext

Return to Another World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests