Will this band save rock 'n' roll?

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Will this band save rock 'n' roll?

Postby GalileoFigaro » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:17 pm

There's a new blues-driven hard rock band called Greta Van Fleet from Michigan that's blown up pretty fast over the last year with the debut of their EP, Black Smoke Rising. Since then, they've already been featured as an Apple Music "Artist of the Week", "Best New Artist" on Loudwire, hit No. 1 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Chart, toured with The Struts and have been compared to the likes of Led Zeppelin and Rush. Like Zeppelin, the group primarily draws influences from blues artists like Howlin’ Wolf, Elmore James and John Lee Hooker. The kicker? These guys are all college-aged or younger.

phpBB [video]

“It didn’t feel like old retro music to us at the time,” [guitarist Jake Kiszka] says. “It was exciting stuff. It wasn’t until I got to middle school that I even realized the other kids were listening to new stuff on pop radio, and it sounded nothing like what I liked. The contemporary music lacked feel, so we just stuck with what felt right to us... [Kiszka] doesn’t shy away from comparisons to Jimmy Page. “Are you kidding me? I embrace it!” he says with a laugh.”

The rest of their EP is linked here in a YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PGSMdj7iki (If you like what you hear, please support the artist! They deserve it more than most others IMO)

GVF is currently headlining a sold-out tour and will play the Rock am Ring Festival in Nürburg in 2018. It's not often that a band comes out swinging with an audience as varied and cross-generational as they have. What do you guys think? Will these guys lead a revival?
In the quiet of the night let our candle always burn, let us never lose the lessons we have learned.

GalileoFigaro
Spread Your Wings

Re: Will this band save rock 'n' roll?

Postby action » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:44 pm

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Another World