G N' R Box Set

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: G N' R Box Set

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Lol no. The box is obscenely overpriced any way you look at it. Even worse than the Queen set.

I went for the download version because it has everything I care about for a price that's actually reasonable. Not had a chance to listen yet though.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby hardwired » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Is the remastering worth it? I always thought the original mix is perfect. Hope it is not a loundness war. How are the extra tracks quality wise?

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 pm

I've not listened yet, but the consensus over on the Steve Hoffman forums seems to be that it's a tad louder but otherwise a pretty good remaster. Not as good as the original but certainly not bad.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby hardwired » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:49 pm

I still wnder why there is the need for a remaster when the original is superior ;)

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Finally got around to listening my way through this.

Honestly didn't notice much difference with the new album remaster. Certainly don't feel any pressing need to replace my existing CD rip on my iPod with the new disc. That said, the main reason to buy was always the bonus stuff anyway.

The highlight is definitely the polished-up version of "Shadow of Your Love". I can see why it didn't get on the album - it's a bit too similar to "You're Crazy" - but it's a great song nonetheless and definitely would've worked as a B-side. Still don't get why they put GN'R Lies on disc two. Anyone interested in this set is almost certainly going to have a copy of that on their shelf already, and even if they didn't, they could pick one up new for a couple of quid from Amazon. Even more dumb is the omission of "One in a Million" - I know it's a highly controversial track, but why put everything else from Lies on there and then omit one song when it can still be found on the version you could buy separately? Not stripping the fake audience noise from the faux live tracks was also a bad call - that at least would've justified doubling up on otherwise available material.

The demo's are neat but as tends to be the case with demos, probably not something I'll listen to more than the once. The most interesting of them are the tracks that didn't ultimately end up on the album - the studio takes of the GN'R Lies songs without the overdubbed crowd noise (although they're different performances from the Lies tracks), the Presley and Stones covers and the unfinished jams. There is another glaring omission here though - "Don't Cry" was recorded at this session. Baffling that it was left off, especially as the setlist is otherwise complete (discounting some repeated takes that have been left off) and the other tracks later developed for Use Your Illusion have been included.

Still, not bad for £26. Quite reasonable for the amount of music you get. Not sure we needed five different versions of "You're Crazy", but there you go. I'd definitely recommend the digital version; comparing it to even the cheaper of the two physical sets, it certainly doesn't seem worth paying an additional £125 just for some replica tat and a few music videos.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby hardwired » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:it certainly doesn't seem worth paying an additional £125 just for some replica tat and a few music videos.

Doesnt the deluxe box include way more bonus tracks/demos?

hardwired
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:57 pm

I think there might be a smaller digital version that only has the tracks of the two-disc Deluxe set, but the Super Deluxe download (£26) has all of the music from the bigger boxes.

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The Milkman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:Finally got around to listening my way through this.

Honestly didn't notice much difference with the new album remaster. Certainly don't feel any pressing need to replace my existing CD rip on my iPod with the new disc. That said, the main reason to buy was always the bonus stuff anyway.

The highlight is definitely the polished-up version of "Shadow of Your Love". I can see why it didn't get on the album - it's a bit too similar to "You're Crazy" - but it's a great song nonetheless and definitely would've worked as a B-side. Still don't get why they put GN'R Lies on disc two. Anyone interested in this set is almost certainly going to have a copy of that on their shelf already, and even if they didn't, they could pick one up new for a couple of quid from Amazon. Even more dumb is the omission of "One in a Million" - I know it's a highly controversial track, but why put everything else from Lies on there and then omit one song when it can still be found on the version you could buy separately? Not stripping the fake audience noise from the faux live tracks was also a bad call - that at least would've justified doubling up on otherwise available material.

The demo's are neat but as tends to be the case with demos, probably not something I'll listen to more than the once. The most interesting of them are the tracks that didn't ultimately end up on the album - the studio takes of the GN'R Lies songs without the overdubbed crowd noise (although they're different performances from the Lies tracks), the Presley and Stones covers and the unfinished jams. There is another glaring omission here though - "Don't Cry" was recorded at this session. Baffling that it was left off, especially as the setlist is otherwise complete (discounting some repeated takes that have been left off) and the other tracks later developed for Use Your Illusion have been included.

Still, not bad for £26. Quite reasonable for the amount of music you get. Not sure we needed five different versions of "You're Crazy", but there you go. I'd definitely recommend the digital version; comparing it to even the cheaper of the two physical sets, it certainly doesn't seem worth paying an additional £125 just for some replica tat and a few music videos.

I only got the 2CD version but I agree with you. The new version has a little more punch to it but not much. I guess they added Lies since it was remastered but it was stupid to leave off "One In A Million".
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.

The Milkman
Somebody To Love

Previous

Return to Another World