Lennon or McCartney Statistics

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Lennon or McCartney Statistics

Postby sebastian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:42 am

https://news.sky.com/story/lennon-or-mc ... s-11456563

I wish, some day, something like this could be done for Queen.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Re: Lennon or McCartney Statistics

Postby Pingu » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:56 am

Always slightly wary of these things tbh but interesting nonetheless. Ian MacDonald was convinced In My Life was predominantly by Macca (musically) but frustratingly there's no link to the study from the article.

Re Queen I wonder what the most contentious songs are. Beatles wise, they're Eleanor Rigby and In My Life (mostly to do with lyrics in the former).

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:06 am

The usual rule of thumb for Beatles songs is that the lead singer of a particular song (or bit of it) was probably the main writer/author, except in the early days, when Ringo and George both also got the chance of singing the leads on Paul's and John's songs.

I met McCartney a few times back in the early eighties, and at a time when not many people knew that most of their songs were individual contributions, he told me that John and him only ever really wrote a handful of songs together, and that the main reason they decided to give joint credits, was so that the songs got recorded and released on merit, and not because it was somebody's "turn" to have the next A side.

Even back then, just a couple of years after John got shot, he felt that the "Lennon-McCartney" songs he wrote, should be credited as "McCartney-Lennon" songs. For some reason, ever since then, Yoko has seemingly insisted that this doesn't happen.

Anyway, despite songs being from individual writers, many songs had high levels of contribution from the other band members. The Melotron intro to Strawberry Fields, McCartney. The "Frere Jacque's" in Paperback Writer, Lennon.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sebastian » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Sure, and both Georges were also involved and so on...

The point of a statistical research is not to absolutely categorically 100% positively label a song as Lennon or McCartney, but to study how likely it could be, based on a number of factors and not just a melodic leap or who the lead singer was - there's 'A Hard Day's' Night' and 'Day Tripper' with Paul singing lead (at least partially) and 'Sgt Pepper' with John singing lead on (part of) the middle-eight.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Return to Another World