Rush

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Rush

Postby Dittany » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm amazed it's taken me this long, but I'm finally ready to explore the unstoppable machine that is Rush. Being a little intimidated by the amount of material in their catalog, I'd like to ask some more experienced Rush fans:

1) Do I start chronologically--that is, begin with 1974's Rush and move forward from there?

2) Or do I start with what is considered their best material--2112/Moving Pictures and move forward or backward in quality from there?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Also, feel free to post pictures, video, etc.
"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted." - John Lennon
Taylorette: More of That Jazz
Official Member of the D.M.C.

Dittany
Spread Your Wings

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

Re: Rush

Postby WeeMann » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

I don't know much of their work, but I really like tracks like YYZ, Tom Sawyer, Working Man and Spirit Of Radio and the albums Counterparts and Snakes and Arrows.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Simon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:39 pm

I would not recommend starting at the beginning. That is nowhere close to being representative. They were made to sound like Led Zeppelin. Nothing wrong with that, but Rush can offer so much more.
The way I got to know them was successful, therefore I'd recommend that to anyone who's interested:
I bought Rush in Rio, the DVD. I didn't get a lot of the songs at first, but I was instantly in love with the trio because they are so sympathetic. Possible that I even watched the (real nice) documentary "The Boys in Brazil" before I watched the gig. The setlist offers a great mixture of all phases of the band. Somewhere in the 80ies, they were very synthesizer-oriented. That stuff annoys some of the harder fans. I love most of it, but some songs sound too cheesy nowadays.
Anyway, aren't they touring the US right now? Why not visit a gig, if there will be one in your area. They are performing the whole of Moving Pictures, a great great album, which should be in every serious music collection. As a matter of fact, Moving Pictures, to me, represents the essence of what Rush's music is about: intelligent lyrics, great guitar solos, great melodies, unusual structures, awesome drumming, and a curious singing voice.
I do understand that many people cannot really connect with their music. That's mainly because of Geddy Lee's voice. But also because some of their songs are so busy. Sometimes it takes some time to understand the musical value. Most of the time, it is worth being patient!
Looking forward to reading how your first encounter with Rush went :).
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Dittany » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Believe it or not, Simon, they are playing here TONIGHT (their first show in our new arena)! But I can't go--if tickets aren't sold out, which I'm 99% sure they are, I'm too broke to afford one. Not to mention that I don't know anyone who'd go with me. But I hope to catch them another time. :)

I probably should've added this in my first post, but I got interested in Rush through a recent TV showing of Beyond the Lighted Stage. The thing is, I only saw part of it. If anyone knows where I can see the whole thing, I'd be most grateful!

Dittany
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:22 pm

The DVD is worth getting! Amazing documentary! I own it on Blu-Ray and never complained because I spent money on it!

Too bad you cannot go. Hope they'll be back soon with you having more money in your pocket ;).

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Dittany » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:34 pm

I greatly enjoyed what I did see--the guys just seem like genuinely nice and humble people. And damn good musicians too! Perhaps once the price has gone down a bit, I'll consider buying it. I've also considered your note about Moving Pictures; I've heard nothing but good things about that album. But the anal-retentive in me still wants to go chronologically...after all, I DO love Zep, so sounding like their Canadian doppelgangers can't be all bad.

Dittany
Spread Your Wings

Postby Dusty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:09 pm

I started off with 2112, then sort of went on from there. Bloody amazing band, and Neil Peart is one of the all-time top drummers- technically brilliant, IMHO. Favorite albums are 2112, Hemispheres, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows.

Dusty

Postby Simon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 am

Dittany wrote:I greatly enjoyed what I did see--the guys just seem like genuinely nice and humble people. And damn good musicians too! Perhaps once the price has gone down a bit, I'll consider buying it. I've also considered your note about Moving Pictures; I've heard nothing but good things about that album. But the anal-retentive in me still wants to go chronologically...after all, I DO love Zep, so sounding like their Canadian doppelgangers can't be all bad.

As I said, nothing wrong with that, just don't expect the other albums to sound ANYTHING like it. the first album to discover a band is always a pain in the ass: You probably don't want the BEST, because from there, everything will be downhill, you don't want the worst, because then you'll probably lose interest. But then the "best album" of a band does not have to be your personal favourite. Among my personal favourites is Hold You Fire for example, but also Snakes & Arrows, the most recent album. Both a very different sounding things, but equally worth having.
I envy you, getting to know all those songs for the very first time :).

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby WOLFSHEAD » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 am

Dittany wrote:Believe it or not, Simon, they are playing here TONIGHT (their first show in our new arena)! But I can't go--if tickets aren't sold out, which I'm 99% sure they are, I'm too broke to afford one. Not to mention that I don't know anyone who'd go with me. But I hope to catch them another time. :)

I probably should've added this in my first post, but I got interested in Rush through a recent TV showing of Beyond the Lighted Stage. The thing is, I only saw part of it. If anyone knows where I can see the whole thing, I'd be most grateful!

If you can afford to go the gig just go on your own. If you are old enough that is. You may regret it if you miss em. Enjoy the gig if you go.

WOLFSHEAD
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:06 am

I went to a show on my 30th birthday in Germany. It was one of the best gigs I ever attended.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Dittany » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:24 pm

WOLFSHEAD wrote:
Dittany wrote:Believe it or not, Simon, they are playing here TONIGHT (their first show in our new arena)! But I can't go--if tickets aren't sold out, which I'm 99% sure they are, I'm too broke to afford one. Not to mention that I don't know anyone who'd go with me. But I hope to catch them another time. :)

If you can afford to go the gig just go on your own. If you are old enough that is. You may regret it if you miss em. Enjoy the gig if you go.

I didn't go, for all the reasons listed above. Oh well.

Dittany
Spread Your Wings

Postby play it cool » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:37 pm

I would say why not start at the begininng? I'm not over keen on the first album but Fly By Night through to Signals are all great albums.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby Cool Cat » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:37 pm

I can't say i've listened at length to Rush, if fact only the odd track, until Permanent Waves came along in 1980, it was a big hit and anyone who listen to rock music, especially rock music from USA/Canada absolutely loved it.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Dittany » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:34 pm

Permanent Waves, you say? Now that I recall, a friend of my sister's burned her a Rush mix with most of those tracks on it. I'll have to see if I can snag it...

Dittany
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:05 am

Dittany wrote:Permanent Waves, you say? Now that I recall, a friend of my sister's burned her a Rush mix with most of those tracks on it. I'll have to see if I can snag it...

The Snakes & Arrows tour had 4 of 6 permanent waves songs in the set. Maybe start with this one? (Sorry, not making it any easier :-P ). The video is great, the Blu-Ray also won prizes.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Next

Return to Another World