Rush

A forum to discuss other music, artists, television and film.

Re: Rush

Postby Simon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:21 am

Had a first listen yesterday. Overall I am already very pleased but not thoroughly convinced. But strong albums hardly have a major impact on me on first listen. Production is flawless, that's for sure. And even a song close to a ballad, that's a nice touch. Some guitar solos sound a bit empty to me. "Clockwork Angels" is the song that disappointed me the most, despite the really amazing soundscape at the beginning. Neither did "The Garden" impress me. But that's all probably going to change. Naturally, the songs I already know were my favourites. Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight have am amazing power and drive.
I had my doubts about this being a concept album. But they managed to make it a concept album as well as an album with songs dealing with universal topics so you can listen to tracks individually. It's fun by the way to listen to the albumafter having read "Far and Away" because there Neil deals with most of the issues and even reveals some lines like "Wish them well" or "It is what it is" etc.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby play it cool » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:00 am

If Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight are the better tracks then I'll maybe give this one a miss. Those songs are okay but hardly classic Rush.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby Killer King » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:08 am

play it cool wrote:If Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight are the better tracks then I'll maybe give this one a miss. Those songs are okay but hardly classic Rush.

In my personal opinion, this album is a big grower. There are tracks that I wasn't fussed on after the first few listens, but they grow on you, and now there's not a song I don't like on the album.

Hopefully Simon will persevere with the album, and it will grow on him too.

I wouldn't say Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight are the best on the album. They are certainly among the best, but I'd say tracks like Clockwork Angels, The Wreckers and The Garden are better tracks. In fact, The Garden is unbelievably good, one of the best tracks Rush have written in years and years. My opinion, of course.
"It's only a song, f**k 'em" - Roger Taylor

Kerry & Brian - 14th May 2011, Cardiff. Brilliant!

Killer King
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 am

play it cool wrote:If Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight are the better tracks then I'll maybe give this one a miss. Those songs are okay but hardly classic Rush.

I did not say they are the better tracks. Those are the songs I already know and therefore they are already in my system and "speak to me". I like the drive and energy and anger. The new songs need to grow. By now I'd say "The Wreckers" is my favourite song.
And why would I want to buy a new Rush album if I'm only into "classic Rush tracks"? There is none on the new album. Maybe a nod or two to older songs, but nothing more. Neil's drumming has progressed to yet another level. Amazing.

Not too impressed with the artwork cover to be honest. Why a simple reference to 2112? Love the artwork in the booklet though. Looking forward to the gig in summer 2013.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby play it cool » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:50 am

Simon wrote:

I did not say they are the better tracks. Those are the songs I already know and therefore they are already in my system and "speak to me". I like the drive and energy and anger.

You said they were your favourites. I assume people's favourite songs are ones they consider better, rather than worse, than others.

Simon wrote:And why would I want to buy a new Rush album if I'm only into "classic Rush tracks"? There is none on the new album. .

By classic Rush I'm not referring to a period of their history, but about their classic songs from whatever period. If it was such a good album they'd all be classics. If there are none then I'll give it a miss.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby Simon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:40 am

play it cool wrote:
Simon wrote:

I did not say they are the better tracks. Those are the songs I already know and therefore they are already in my system and "speak to me". I like the drive and energy and anger.

You said they were your favourites. I assume people's favourite songs are ones they consider better, rather than worse, than others.

Simon wrote:And why would I want to buy a new Rush album if I'm only into "classic Rush tracks"? There is none on the new album. .

By classic Rush I'm not referring to a period of their history, but about their classic songs from whatever period. If it was such a good album they'd all be classics. If there are none then I'll give it a miss.

Nah, it's just like that at gigs: You tend to prefer the songs you know better because you have made a connectionwith them rather than the new songs who still need to grow. As I stated before: I have listened to the album once. Hardly any song blows me away completely after one listen. And if one does, it oftentimes wears out pretty soon. I am satisfied with the album, it grows, but I would not offer final judgement yet.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 am

Tyler Warren, drummer for the Queen Extravaganza, covering Rush's *Freewill*, he plays all the instruments and voices, it's really quite good!! :biggrin:

*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby play it cool » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I was pondering getting tickets for the UK dates but having seen the current setlist I'm not bothering. Hopefully I'll catch them again next time.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby Simon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:09 am

FreddiesShootingStar wrote:Tyler Warren, drummer for the Queen Extravaganza, covering Rush's *Freewill*, he plays all the instruments and voices, it's really quite good!! :biggrin:

Quite the skilled lad, isn't he? Not the easiest song to cover all alone, I reckon.

I just love Rush... What a great gang of guys... Skilled, witty, and above all: creators of damn fine music.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:27 am

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainm ... story.html
Rush finally cracks Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 44 years after Toronto rock trio’s formation

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainm ... z2EogKOo00

Well deserved!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Simon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Anyone listened to the Vapor Trails Remixed already? Mine is still on its way. But I am really looking forward to that. Strong album... Not really every track is worth mentioning, but the production was far from being okay, and the band very soon admitted that. I liked the first glimpses on the Retrospective III with One Little Victory and Earthshine (probably the strongest songs on the album), but I am looking forward to How it is, Vapor Trails and Secret Touch.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Simon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:36 pm

no one?

Ok, so it's my turn then: The album arrived today and I gave it a listen with my headphones. First impressions are mainly positive.
I guess all Rush fans know the story of Vapor Trails and the reasons for its initial ... dubious sound quality. The album itself might not be the strongest of all Rush albums, but it has some great tunes on it. Over the years, the album grew on me despite its highly compressed sound. The first reworked tracks, released on Retrospective III were great and I did not hesitate to order Vapor Trails Remixed. My first listen was overall a positive experience. (Sadly, the booklet is incomplete. Lyrics for three songs are missing. Don't know if that is a production error in general or just in my copy.)
Obviously the compression is gone now. The overall sound is much clearer and you here so much more. All this little things Alex is doing, the effects being used... it all makes more sense now. However, the songs you treasure because you loved them after listening to the original album do sound pretty different now. And even though the album still sounds raw overall, there are some passages which sound a bit feeble now in comparison.
In a way, this can be compared to the new version of Freddie's Barcelona. It sounds quite different now even though it is pretty much the same. In essence: There are two different albums out there now called Vapor Trails. I certainly won't sell the old version.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Simon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 am

By the way: "One Little Victory" sounds decidedly different than the version on Retrospective III. Especially the snare. Interesting.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby CNB » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Simon wrote:By the way: "One Little Victory" sounds decidedly different than the version on Retrospective III. Especially the snare. Interesting.

As a Rush fan, I'm assuming you have their Time Machine Tour Live in Cleveland DVD. My son is a huge Rush fan and was at that concert. He showed me the whole concert a couple of months ago. I didn't know much about them until the Hall of Fame Induction ceremony. What a super talented group of 3 musicians. Every song they play could be broken down into solo performances because they are each so great at what they do.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Simon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 pm

CNB wrote:
Simon wrote:By the way: "One Little Victory" sounds decidedly different than the version on Retrospective III. Especially the snare. Interesting.

As a Rush fan, I'm assuming you have their Time Machine Tour Live in Cleveland DVD. My son is a huge Rush fan and was at that concert. He showed me the whole concert a couple of months ago. I didn't know much about them until the Hall of Fame Induction ceremony. What a super talented group of 3 musicians. Every song they play could be broken down into solo performances because they are each so great at what they do.

Have seen this tour live as well. First time I cried during a gig, they made me THAT happy playing "Time Stand Still." An amazing group to discover if one has the patience for music. It took me months to "get it."

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Another World