The Miracle Box set

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
MusicalProstitute

Re: The Miracle Box set

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Generic username wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:54 pm
MusicalProstitute wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:38 pm My feelings exactly. The amount of nonsense he used to get on QZ was disgusting. But then he did give as good as he got in many cases (which I do not blame him for).

I think he has learnt the hard way just how much he can say and how much he cannot. Being stuck between a passionate and - at times - pretty rabid fanbase and then QPL (and especially Brian - who we all know likes to be in control of things) cannot be easy at all.

I do not envy him either - in one way. But, then again, god would I love his job: to hear and see stuff undiscovered for the first time and also be a proper fan? There has to be quite a few spine-tingling, emotional moments for sure.
You are abolsutely correct that he has a difficult tightrope to walk sometimes, and it is absolutely redundant to keep asking him about TM box set, as it's clearly gone beyond the point at which he has any influence / knowledge.

And yet...he really didn't help himself on QZ. Yes, he was getting both abuse and critiques, but put 80% of his energy into returning the abuse and 20% into treating professional critique as personal criticism.

Now, abuse is difficult to take, so maybe it's understandable that having chosen not to just ignore the site entirely, he found it difficult to differentiate between abuse and legitimate comment.

I never understood why he didn't come here, where he'd have been adored.
Yeah, I have often wondered why he chose QZ over here. Maybe he likes the free speech element? But I agree he did not help himself on many occasions - although, I totally empathise with the fact that he may have been feeling just a little defensive after multiple attacks from impatient fans.

MusicalProstitute

Generic username wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:00 pm
MusicalProstitute wrote:
I am sure I have read an interview with him somewhere in which he states that there has been more than one occasion where he has been in tears because of what he has heard.
He used to say that there was a complete Freddie vocal in the archive that was "a guaranteed number 1" and may well have been described as one of those occasions.

...which we're pretty sure is Let Me In Your Heart Again.
See, I always thought they missed the boat with Love Makin' Love. That could have been a monster hit. And I Guess We're Falling Out too. I found LMIYHA pretty dull and not Fred's finest vocal at all.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Another reason why he might have chosen QZ, is the fact that somebody else on the product team runs this place, and they don't particularly go out of their way to tread on each other's toes. So between them, they possibly divied it up, sensible, really.

MusicalProstitute

Kes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:21 pm Another reason why he might have chosen QZ, is the fact that somebody else on the product team runs this place, and they don't particularly go out of their way to tread on each other's toes. So between them, they possibly divied it up, sensible, really.
Fair point.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Why Greg gets wound up by criticism, might be somewhere between him being a dedicated Queen fan, and the fact that he's involved in collating most of the product that get's released, and the narratives that go with them. Well, that and the fact a lot of other fans know who he is, and can recognise him.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

I've never understood the abuse Greg got/gets on qz. that forum has taken an ugly turn ayway, and I think it's about to close down?

Greg is stuck between a rock and a hard place. he can't win either way.

MusicalProstitute

Kes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:56 pm Why Greg gets wound up by criticism, might be somewhere between him being a dedicated Queen fan, and the fact that he's involved in collating most of the product that get's released, and the narratives that go with them. Well, that and the fact a lot of other fans know who he is, and can recognise him.
I've also heard him talk about the frustrating aspect of his job: selecting stuff that - as a true fan - he thinks others would love, but having it rejected by Brian, Roger, etc. That's gotta be a bitch; knowing that there are some wonderful gems just sitting there gathering dust. But, then again, at least he is lucky enough to have been able to hear them in the first place.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

MusicalProstitute wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:49 pm
Kes wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:56 pm Why Greg gets wound up by criticism, might be somewhere between him being a dedicated Queen fan, and the fact that he's involved in collating most of the product that get's released, and the narratives that go with them. Well, that and the fact a lot of other fans know who he is, and can recognise him.
I've also heard him talk about the frustrating aspect of his job: selecting stuff that - as a true fan - he thinks others would love, but having it rejected by Brian, Roger, etc. That's gotta be a bitch; knowing that there are some wonderful gems just sitting there gathering dust. But, then again, at least he is lucky enough to have been able to hear them in the first place.

One can only sympathize with him.It's weird that these two (I mean Brian and Roger) reject what Greg does.They themselves are for a long time no writers. Just don't say what they write. They write one or two songs every two years or write nothing.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I understand the position of Brian and Roger.
Look at what you did in your life 10 years ago.
20 years ago.
If you can, 30 years ago.
Queen ended nearly 30 years ago.
We, the fans, are basically living in the past.
We are like historians.
It's not really fun, if you are Brian, Roger, to always look at what you did 30 years, specially when you have some modesty.
Yes, they are decent, modest guys.
I'm a musician, I know what it's like to look 10 years back. Let alone 30 years back.
The Miracle box set is some old, dusty memories and recordings and they are clearly surprised that people still have interest for that.
I wouldn't blame them any time for delaying this.
Jim Beach? Well, he's been there forever as well.
At this point I am happy when ANYTHING is released.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

I think Greg would be welcomed here with open arms.