Albums, Archives and Anniversaries - The Last Chance Saloon?

Friendly, general discussion about Queen

Would you buy deluxe Anniversary Editions of the band's studio albums?

Yes - take my money now!
43%
Yes - but I'd wait for the sales to knock the price down...
7%
No - I'm not interested
7%
Not Sure - Impress me
43%

Total votes: 14

Didymus

Albums, Archives and Anniversaries - The Last Chance Saloon?

Post by Didymus »

Queen have pretty much ignored their 50th anniversary, beyond a series of Greatest Hits reissues and a pop up shop. Yet many of their contemporaries, like The Beatles, David Bowie and Pink Floyd, are currently mining the 50th Anniversary train for all its worth, delighting fans with super deluxe box sets filled with remasters and archive treats.

Given Queen previously had huge fan response to the News of the World box set, and were apparently planning a set for The Miracle which appears to have been shelved indefinitely, the next few years will see a number of Queen albums reach the big five-oh, and a fair few others reach other big anniversaries too. With their core fanbase getting ever older and the band themselves surely in their twilight years performing now, the upcoming album anniversaries feel like a last chance for both sides to celebrate be rewarded for their passion and commitment all these years!

So... would you be interested in buying deluxe editions of each album going forwards from 2023 onwards?

We could have one a year, combining:
  • Brand New Remaster - where possible from Analogue Sources
  • B-Sides, Single Mixes & Alternate Versions
  • Demos and Rarities
  • Unreleased Live Concert from the era
  • DVD & Blu-Ray discs containing live footage and music videos
  • Book - Sleeve notes and retrospective interviews
If they wanted to, they could take the Beatles approach to this and release a CD/Download version and a more expensive Vinyl version.

Would you go for this if it was offered?
  • 2023: Queen
  • 2024: Queen II / Sheer Heart Attack
  • 2025: A Night at the Opera / Made in Heaven
  • 2026: A Day at the Races / A Kind of Magic
  • 2027: News of the World / Live Killers
  • 2028: Jazz / The Cosmos Rocks
  • 2029: The Works / The Miracle
  • 2030: The Game / Flash Gordon
  • 2031: Hot Space / Innuendo
Personally, I'd also welcome a new complete 'Singles Collection' in 2023 to 'kickstart' the range - or at least a blu-ray set of remastered music videos!

Ray

Re: Albums, Archives and Anniversaries - The Last Chance Saloon?

Post by Ray »

Could have titled the thread also "my dream releases that are highly unlikely". ;)

I stopped expecting or wishing for such boxsets years ago...there are multiple threads like this in EVERY fan forum of no matter which band/musician and it never affects what happens. Some bands do those releases, some don't. And Queen are rather the latter...sometimes there is a boxset, but it's rather rare.

Also, I don't like how those releases are done most of the times...they might be really nice in terms of content, but they are also very expensive usually and don't offer alternatives if you only want a specific item from those boxsets. Not everybody cares for outtakes/alternate versions etc., but f.e. for live releases. And if those are "burried" in boxsets worth 150+, then many won't buy just for that. I really don't like that - great footage like the 77 documentary was only available through the NOTW boxset...I didn't care for anything else in that boxset, so I wouldn't pay the whole price just for the documentary. Of course I found a recording of it and still can enjoy it that way, but I'd much rather have a proper official release of it on Blu-ray. And don't get me started on the concerts that are still not released.

Long story short - I don't see Brain or Roger having lots of interest in releases like that, except maybe if they'd sell really well, which they usually don't. So they rather release "limited collector's crap" that people buy because of their rarity factor - not much effort needs to be done for this and they still make good money of it I guess.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Ray wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:07 pm Could have titled the thread also "my dream releases that are highly unlikely". ;)

I stopped expecting or wishing for such boxsets years ago...there are multiple threads like this in EVERY fan forum of no matter which band/musician and it never affects what happens. Some bands do those releases, some don't. And Queen are rather the latter...sometimes there is a boxset, but it's rather rare.

Also, I don't like how those releases are done most of the times...they might be really nice in terms of content, but they are also very expensive usually and don't offer alternatives if you only want a specific item from those boxsets. Not everybody cares for outtakes/alternate versions etc., but f.e. for live releases. And if those are "burried" in boxsets worth 150+, then many won't buy just for that. I really don't like that - great footage like the 77 documentary was only available through the NOTW boxset...I didn't care for anything else in that boxset, so I wouldn't pay the whole price just for the documentary. Of course I found a recording of it and still can enjoy it that way, but I'd much rather have a proper official release of it on Blu-ray. And don't get me started on the concerts that are still not released.

Long story short - I don't see Brain or Roger having lots of interest in releases like that, except maybe if they'd sell really well, which they usually don't. So they rather release "limited collector's crap" that people buy because of their rarity factor - not much effort needs to be done for this and they still make good money of it I guess.
These sets clearly sell well enough* for a large number of their peers to continue ahead with them... and the NOTW set did well enough for them to make serious headway into The Miracle album. Plus, now that Brian's making (admittedly rather lacklustre) sets for his own solo albums, he might be more inclined to go down this approach for Queen, too.

The way I see it, the label will want to push the anniversaries of classic albums at every opportunity. If that means we get the archives opened up - both the studio outtakes and the live recordings (and unlike you, I'd take 40 takes of Brian failing to nail a guitar solo over one live concert!) then it's a win win all round.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I'm of the opinion that they have too many distractions at the moment. Give it five years and they've hung up their touring overalls, they might start concentrating on what they've achieved, not what they've yet to achieve.

Tero

Post by Tero »

The thing is... They already did a complete 40th anniversary series of all the albums with archive content (sort of :roll: ), so there's no need to release any of that anymore.

It's more likely that the next special release will be a 50th anniversary of ANATO with basically the same contents we already had in 2005.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Didymus wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:41 pmThese sets clearly sell well enough* for a large number of their peers to continue ahead with them... and the NOTW set did well enough for them to make serious headway into The Miracle album. Plus, now that Brian's making (admittedly rather lacklustre) sets for his own solo albums, he might be more inclined to go down this approach for Queen, too.

The way I see it, the label will want to push the anniversaries of classic albums at every opportunity. If that means we get the archives opened up - both the studio outtakes and the live recordings (and unlike you, I'd take 40 takes of Brian failing to nail a guitar solo over one live concert!) then it's a win win all round.
Wow, that marked part is really something I will never be able to understand haha. Prefering to hear Brian fail at guitar to him giving a great performance...okay.

Still sounds like wishful thinking to me though. Don't get me wrong, I'd want those kind of releases to exist, even if they might not be for me, but I just don't see Brian and Roger interested in them. NOTW is a few years old already and who knows when we'll finally see the "Miracle" boxset and what it will include. This doesn't really make me believe in a series of anniversary editions for every album yet. There have been already lots of anniversaries, so it's not like they haven't thought about that idea before. If they really would have wanted to do them, we'd have them (or at least some of them) already. Either it's like Kes suggests, that they're still distracted by touring etc. right now and might do it in a couple of years when that's over, or I don't know...maybe even a lot more far in the future, when it's not Brian's and Roger's decision anymore. But I don't really expect it in the next years.

A cassette rerelease of all albums is unfortunately more likely right now and other useless stuff. Or an audiobook edition with 3d pictures probably, too. Read the lyrics and hear the music through your 3D-glasses. :lol: ;)

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Ray wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:00 pm
Didymus wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:41 pmThese sets clearly sell well enough* for a large number of their peers to continue ahead with them... and the NOTW set did well enough for them to make serious headway into The Miracle album. Plus, now that Brian's making (admittedly rather lacklustre) sets for his own solo albums, he might be more inclined to go down this approach for Queen, too.

Wow, that marked part is really something I will never be able to understand haha. Prefering to hear Brian fail at guitar to him giving a great performance...okay.

Still sounds like wishful thinking to me though. Don't get me wrong, I'd want those kind of releases to exist, even if they might not be for me, but I just don't see Brian and Roger interested in them. NOTW is a few years old already and who knows when we'll finally see the "Miracle" boxset and what it will include. This doesn't really make me believe in a series of anniversary editions for every album yet. There have been already lots of anniversaries, so it's not like they haven't thought about that idea before. If they really would have wanted to do them, we'd have them (or at least some of them) already. Either it's like Kes suggests, that they're still distracted by touring etc. right now and might do it in a couple of years when that's over, or I don't know...maybe even a lot more far in the future, when it's not Brian's and Roger's decision anymore. But I don't really expect it in the next years.

A cassette rerelease of all albums is unfortunately more likely right now and other useless stuff. Or an audiobook edition with 3d pictures probably, too. Read the lyrics and hear the music through your 3D-glasses. :lol: ;)
So, they might do it a couple of years, you think, potentially at the insistence of the label, you reckon... but my suggestion of them starting a series in the next couple of years at the insistence of the label is wishful thinking. Got you.

BluePowderMonkey

Post by BluePowderMonkey »

I personally have no desire for anything other than new music and even then, only in a digital format. I know there are collectors out there who love all of this old fashioned tat, wrapped up in new packaging, but there are some of us who just want to hear new material, delivered as a download or on a USB stick.

Again personally I have no interest in the anniversaries, its just an excuse to sell the same old stuff over and over again.

Freddie said that they should never make him boring, but the irony is that they may have done just that. From the documentaries fhat rehash the same old quotes from him (and let's face it, he rarely had anything interesting to say), to the same old rubbish from Phoebe, to the release of a solo album ironically entitled 'Never Boring' well it was exactly that...it was boring.

Time for the new music from the archive for me, or don't bother at all.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Didymus wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:03 am
Ray wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:00 pm

So, they might do it a couple of years, you think, potentially at the insistence of the label, you reckon... but my suggestion of them starting a series in the next couple of years at the insistence of the label is wishful thinking. Got you.
No, I think Brian and Roger will do nothing that's comparable to your list with releases of one or two albums a year for every album's 50th anniversary. I rather think that if at all, the label/Estates will do this after they're gone. But with the sad decline of physical media, who knows how long we'll get those kind of box sets at all...I wouldn't count on it for all albums, that's for sure. Maybe another one for ANATO or so, but we can be happy if we finally get that Miracle boxset released at all...and we still don't even know if it's worth getting excited about.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

All Brian and Roger need to know from the label is how much money they can stand to make from it for as little input from them as required. Brian will probably be unable to resist tinkering. Roger will probably sulk about releasing anything. But if the label thinks they can make each of them more cash they'll relent. And I can't see EMI not being very aware of the success that The Beatles, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath et al have had and not want a share of that pie.