The Miracle Box set

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Jake

Re: The Miracle Box set

Post by Jake »

WeeMann wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:29 am
It depends on how it's distributed. I forget the figures, but Spotify, for instance, pay the artists such a pitiful amount it's laughable.

Here you go, a calculator for the various platforms.

https://www.dittomusic.com/blog/how-muc ... -musicians

So, for every 1000 streams, the rights holder will earn around 5 or 6 dollars. For a four piece band, that's no more than about 1 1/2 dollars per 1000 streams per person (and that's assuming they have their royalties split equally).

With something like a box set which will include the original album, how many people will be interested in that? It won't be many as the target demographic for these types of box set aer people like us who already have 3 or 4 copies. So you're down to the rare stuff which will probably not get streamed more than once or twice by the hardcore fans.

So, frankly, I don't see any real profit in it.

I don't have Spotify to hand, but I've just checked Amazon Music and the only tracks from the News Of The World box set are the raw versions of WWRY and WATC, so clearly someone doesn't think it worthwhile to put the box sets up, even after the point that the physical sets will almost certainly have sold out.
Let’s do away with streaming services. Man, I don’t get why people don’t enjoy the physical product with all the artwork and things anymore.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Because a lot of people like everything condensed into a little 4TB hard drive. If that's what they want, fine.

But there's also those that DO want hard copies snd artwork.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

I don’t think a digital release makes sense. Most people don’t buy digital music, they stream. Unfortunately artists can barely make much money through streaming, unless the songs get played millions of times every day. You can see the numbers in a post above.

Only boxsets make sense for the artists. Here in Germany most artists release special edition boxsets of CDs with extras right from release day now to get people to buy these more expensive products. „Just“ a CD isn‘t enough to compete with (almost) free streaming. Unfortunately.

OK, it’s also fact, that the income of a product (Box Set, CD, Stream...) gets counted for the German charts. A boxset for 50€ counts 2,5x as much as a CD. And many 10000x more than a stream. ;) So it’s easier to get a No. 1 Album with expensive box sets - as long as enough people are buying these.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

I hope this year they will "Make A Miracle great again" :lol:
There was a small small tease on instagram, where they asked "what was the first title of "The Miracle"?"
This box set could be interesting for a lot of reasons....
I think that if they did a "raw sessions" mix like they did for the News of The world box, it would be very interesting. I always thought that the Freddie of that era is more mysterious. What would be really awesome, is if we hear Freddie on the piano. For example, him playing "The Miracle" - or anything else.

The remaster bonus CD of "The Miracle" was one of the most exciting, wasn't it? For example, the new verse of "Invisible Man".

Do we know if "Self made man", "Robbery" and such songs came from around "The Miracle" recording, or was it more like "Innuendo" material?
Do you think there is a chance we might see some jam sessions like that on the box?

I wonder also about "Heaven for Everyone". Do we know if that was intended as a Queen song? If so, there is a good chance that we hear it on the box as well.

The Miracle Box Set is something I will definitely buy, whatever the price and whatever the content.
I didn't buy News of The World box set, however.... Anyone else feeling the same?

As a last thought: bands usually jam in the studio, and Queen were also doing that obviously.
I have the feeling that this would be a really exciting process for us to hear. In the same way as we were hearing them improvising on stage.
I can't believe for one second that this wouldn't be good enough to include on The Miracle box set or an other release.
For example on the box set of News of The World, there was the tracks "Feelings" which was the Take nr 10 (or something like that).
What we would like to hear, the fans, is the takes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 .... :p
Of course, we want to hear the takes of the greater songs also.
We are crazy enough, that we want to hear those things. What makes them so protective?
They were a magical band. Let's hope there will be a comprehensive box set proving that once again! (I mean an anthology box set)

ps. I'm called "Mona Lisa" for some reason :D :lol: I'll keep on smiling, because it is really unbelievable that they do a Miracle box :)

pps. I think that they'll include a dvd with all the videos in high quality... The video content will turn around that, for sure. Or is there an unreleased video documentary from that time, like there was the NOTW documentary?

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Mona Lisa wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:36 pm
I hope this year they will "Make A Miracle great again" :lol:
There was a small small tease on instagram, where they asked "what was the first title of "The Miracle"?"
That was down to today being the 31st anniversary of its release.

runner70

Post by runner70 »

You did not buy the NOTW box but know the raw sessions disc?
The NOTW box was the most interesting release since the Freddie box content wise.
I assume you took the torrent route and got it for free as it was never released separately as Download. Hmmm.
I have no high hopes for the Miracle box and still think that it is an odd choice to release a box for a generally not really Classic queen album. It is one of their worst albums for me.
The Game or a live Killers Box would have been more interesting to me.
I have no desire to listen to different takes of crap like Rain must fall or my baby does me tbh..
Regarding video content we will get the clips and the making ofs which are also available on youtube. Surely no unreleased stuff except some snippets maybe.
I will surely buy it but i am not overexcited about it

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Kes wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:15 pm
Because a lot of people like everything condensed into a little 4TB hard drive. If that's what they want, fine.

But there's also those that DO want hard copies snd artwork.
Most of us old farts belong to the latter group 😎

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

@Runner70, I think I heard the raw sessions on youtube... I never use torrents, that's for sure. It's just that I'm not so excited about NOTW, but it's really a personal view.
I also had no money to buy it.
I saw as well the documentary on youtube...
I have no idea where I heard the raw sessions... if they had not been available for free and legally, I guess I would have tried to hear it, but not pay the price of the box for that.
I was also relying heavily on all the critics on the message board.
I heard WATC and We will rock you (raw sessions) on spotify and loved it...
That depends on the amount of unreleased material...
It's by far not my favourite album as well.
🙈 (in fact, with The Game they are quite down in my list...)
Yeah, I love Rain Must Fall, Baby does me, Party, Kashoggi,.... not so popular I know :p
Invisible man and Breakthru are down on the list.
I don't like the ending of the song "The miracle" neither.
But I wouldn't mind a new pair of Sandal
Sorry , Scandal, on the box set.

runner70

Post by runner70 »

You like RMF and MBDMY more than Breakthru? Wow😎

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Greg Brooks on his Facebook page began to spread covers from the miracle album.I wonder what it would be. the factories are closed and the work, I believe, has not yet been completed.