'39 - The 39th Queen song released consecutively on albums: deliberate or a coincidence?

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Young Music Fan

'39 - The 39th Queen song released consecutively on albums: deliberate or a coincidence?

Post by Young Music Fan »

I've always wondered this as '39 was the 39th Queen song on album:

Queen had 10 songs
Queen II had 11 songs (cumulative 21 songs)
Sheer Heart Attack had 13 songs (cumulative 34 songs)
'39 was the fifth song on A Night At The Opera (cumulative 39 songs)

It seems too good to be true. Plus I've never liked a rocker like Sweet Lady following a couple of quieter songs. What do you think?
Last edited by Young Music Fan on Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Generic username

Re: '39 - The 39th Queen song released consecutively on albums: deliberate or a coincidence?

Post by Generic username »

I realise your username explains this, but my goodness this gives me flashbacks.

Nobody's ever been quoted as saying anything confirmatory, so the standing assumption is it's a coincidence.

Black Wings

Re: '39 - The 39th Queen song released consecutively on albums: deliberate or a coincidence?

Post by Black Wings »

Generic username wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:50 pm I realise your username explains this, but my goodness this gives me flashbacks.

Nobody's ever been quoted as saying anything confirmatory, so the standing assumption is it's a coincidence.
That's what I think. Surely if it was more than a coincidence it would have been known before now. I don't recall anyone saying it was done on purpose.

Young Music Fan

It's such a good trivia fact...

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Young Music Fan wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:20 pm It's such a good trivia fact...
Thing is, it's not a fact it was done on purpose. At least that it's known about, if anyone would know here it might be Kes?

Young Music Fan

Icy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:48 am
Young Music Fan wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:20 pm It's such a good trivia fact...
Thing is, it's not a fact it was done on purpose. At least that it's known about, if anyone would know here it might be Kes?
Well Queen's Live Aid performance wasn't planned to be the greatest performance they ever did but it turned out it was.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I highly doubt it's coincidence. Someone within the Band's circle will have realised this and they probably tried their best to put it in this position, but it's not the sort of fact they'd go round shouting about.

Young Music Fan

WeeMann wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:58 am I highly doubt it's coincidence. Someone within the Band's circle will have realised this and they probably tried their best to put it in this position, but it's not the sort of fact they'd go round shouting about.
I agree with you, they obviously never pointed this out.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

WeeMann wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:58 am I highly doubt it's coincidence. Someone within the Band's circle will have realised this and they probably tried their best to put it in this position, but it's not the sort of fact they'd go round shouting about.
After all this time, it was not said by any band members mthat i know of that it was done on purpose, especially as we know how big of an album it was and how it turned Queen into superstars. Maybe someone could tweet Brian to ask him about this? It would be interesting if he gave an answer, one way or the other.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Icy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:48 am If anyone would know here it might be Kes?
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that. Although I heard this mentioned in the early days of the forums, I've never heard, or read anything that makes it "official".