Buckeye Randy wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:17 pm
Sir Didymus wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:28 pm
I've been buying Bowie stuff since 1990 but my collection has always been a mix of CDs and vinyl, reissues and originals... nothing in one complete set. When "Five Years" was announced in 2015 I decided to collect everything in one format - vinyl. It's been a VERY expensive half a decade so far!
Do you collect Mick Ronson stuff?
I went the route of collecting CDs with Mott The Hoople although I do have all my vinyl from the 70's.
With CDS, I was chasing catalogue numbers pretty effectively but my collection started seeing holes when the Japanese releases started coming out. The floodgates are now open because I've been passing on the box sets with either zero or simply worthless bonus material.
If I include bootlegs, my Mott The Hoople collection (including solo releases) is over 200. My priorities have shifted the last few years and owning over 200 releases seems ridiculous. All you need is about 20 releases to hear everything you really need to hear by Mott The Hoople and friends. I'm not counting box sets, I'm just talking straight up releases. That would be a savings of...uh...yeah...we won't mention any of this to the Wife.
I'm holding out hope that Ronson's recent CD reissue set will make it to vinyl.
I'm trying to collate a full set of modern Bowie vinyl reissues, including albums he's heavily involved with - All The Young Dudes, Transformer, the various Iggy records etc. Plus I've been buying up various digital singles, and found a few gems along the way too.
In fact, since the release of Five Years in late 2015, I've bought:
- Spying Through A Keyhole: Demos and Unreleased Songs - 4x7"
- Clareville Grove Demos - 3x7"
- Space Oddity: 50th Anniversary - 2x7"
- BOWPROMO - 1xLP in box for RSD
- Five Years [1969 - 1973] - 13x LP
- Who Can I Be Now? [1974 - 1976] - 13x LP
- A New Career in a New Town [1977 - 1982] - 13x LP
- Loving the Alien [1983 - 1988] - 15x LP
- All the Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
- Cracked Actor (Live Lost Angeles '74) - 3x LP for RSD
- Heaven and Earth and the Stars - Lulu
- TV Eye Live 1977 - Iggy Pop
- Blah-Blah-Blah - Iggy Pop
- David Bowie Narrates Peter and the Wolf
- Bowie Now - White vinyl for RSD
- Live in Berlin  L.P. - Orange vinyl Brooklyn Museum exclusive
- Welcome to the Blackout - 3x LP for RSD
- Christiane F. - Red vinyl - physical store exclusive
- Labyrinth - 2017 Remaster
- Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story - Online exclusive 2x Red vinyl LP
- Toy Solider - The Riot Squad
- Rock 'N' Roll Suicide - Original UK pressing
- Vicious / Satellite of Love - Lou Reed
- Sorrow - Original UK pressing
- Golden Years - Original UK demo pressing
- Sound and Vision - Original UK pressing
- Music from the original soundtrack Just A Gigolo - David Bowie & Marlene Dietrich - Blue 7"
- Ashes to Ashes - Original UK pressing
- Up the Hill Backwards - Original UK pressing
- David Bowie in Bertolt Brecht's Baal - 10" physical store exclusive
- Let's Dance [Demo] - 12" for RSD
- China Girl - Original UK pressing
- People From Bad Homes - Ava Cherry & The Astronettes
- All Saints [Collected Instrumentals 1977-1999]
- The Ice Storm: Music from the Motion Picture
- Shrek 2: Music from the Motion Picture
- Return to Cookie Mountain - TV on the Radio
- New Killer Star - DVD Single
- Live at La Ciagale, Paris, 25th June, 1989 - Tin Machine
- Space Oddity [2019 Single Mix]
- Conversation Piece [2019 Mix]
- Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud [2019 Mix]
- Rebel Rebel [2019 Remastered Single Mix]
- Revolutionary Song [2016 Remasters]
- Let's Dance [Nile Rodgers String Version]
- Loving the Alien [2018 Remaster] - The Scumfrog vs David Bowie
- Brits 2016 Bowie Tribute - David Bowie Band feat. Lorde
- I Can't Give Everything Away
I don't even want to think how much that all cost... especially as I've still been collecting a huge variety of other artists work during the same timeframe. My iTunes estimates I've added at least another 20k songs to my library since he died, so... eesh. I spent a lotta cash.
Though for comparison, the ONLY
Queen related things I've bought since November 2015 when I got Five Years are:
- News of the World: 40th Anniversary Edition - Vinyl, CD & DVD Box-Set
- Jazz - HMV Pink 12" Vinyl
- I Want to Break Free - 7" Vinyl Single with Deacon red cover
- It's A Hard Life - 7" vinyl single with withdrawn sleeve
- Heaven for Everyone - 7" jukebox single
- Too Much Love Will Kill You - 7" jukebox single
- Bohemian Rhapsody Soundtrack - New tracks as digital downloads only
- New Horizons - Brian May 12" for RSD
- Mr Bad Guy (Special Edition) - 12" LP
- Barcelona (Special Edition) - 12" LP Reissue
- Time Waits for No One - digital single
- Fun on Earth - Roger Taylor 2x LP
- Journey's End - Roger Taylor digital video single
- Gangsters are Running This World - Roger Taylor digital single
- Two Late - Tim Staffell CD
Queen just aren't exciting my wallet anymore.