The Game 40th anniversary box set.

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Buckeye Randy

Re: The Game 40th anniversary box set.

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:06 pm

It's logical marketing sense. Look at how well labels are handling releases from The Beatles and David Bowie. Hell, I've lost count how many times Bowie's estate have issued Space Oddity in the last 11 years! :D
Fans wanting complete Bowie collections must surely have deep pockets. It seems every box set has a couple of new tracks that were previously unreleased. I think there are 9 or 10 versions of Space Oddity on the 2019 box set, Conversation Piece. I think two versions were previously unreleased. How many times can you fork over $75 for a couple of incrementally different versions? Ah, it's the packaging!

It seems Queen intentionally did not leave the tape rolling like some bands. That's good from a quality control perspective but bad for releasing outtakes and rarities years later. The result is we got horrible dance mixes as bonus tracks instead of something worthwhile.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:29 am
Sir Didymus wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:06 pm

It's logical marketing sense. Look at how well labels are handling releases from The Beatles and David Bowie. Hell, I've lost count how many times Bowie's estate have issued Space Oddity in the last 11 years! :D
Fans wanting complete Bowie collections must surely have deep pockets. It seems every box set has a couple of new tracks that were previously unreleased. I think there are 9 or 10 versions of Space Oddity on the 2019 box set, Conversation Piece. I think two versions were previously unreleased. How many times can you fork over $75 for a couple of incrementally different versions? Ah, it's the packaging!

It seems Queen intentionally did not leave the tape rolling like some bands. That's good from a quality control perspective but bad for releasing outtakes and rarities years later. The result is we got horrible dance mixes as bonus tracks instead of something worthwhile.
I've been buying Bowie stuff since 1990 but my collection has always been a mix of CDs and vinyl, reissues and originals... nothing in one complete set. When "Five Years" was announced in 2015 I decided to collect everything in one format - vinyl. It's been a VERY expensive half a decade so far!

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:28 pm
I've been buying Bowie stuff since 1990 but my collection has always been a mix of CDs and vinyl, reissues and originals... nothing in one complete set. When "Five Years" was announced in 2015 I decided to collect everything in one format - vinyl. It's been a VERY expensive half a decade so far!
Do you collect Mick Ronson stuff?

I went the route of collecting CDs with Mott The Hoople although I do have all my vinyl from the 70's.

With CDS, I was chasing catalogue numbers pretty effectively but my collection started seeing holes when the Japanese releases started coming out. The floodgates are now open because I've been passing on the box sets with either zero or simply worthless bonus material.

If I include bootlegs, my Mott The Hoople collection (including solo releases) is over 200. My priorities have shifted the last few years and owning over 200 releases seems ridiculous. All you need is about 20 releases to hear everything you really need to hear by Mott The Hoople and friends. I'm not counting box sets, I'm just talking straight up releases. That would be a savings of...uh...yeah...we won't mention any of this to the Wife.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:17 pm
Sir Didymus wrote:

I went the route of collecting CDs with Mott The Hoople although I do have all my vinyl from the 70's. One reason I chose CDs instead of vinyl was because chasing 45's from different countries with picture sleeves just seemed too big of a venture. How many different album covers are there for TMWSTW? Five, right?

With CDS, I was chasing catalogue numbers pretty effectively but my collection started seeing holes when the Japanese releases started coming out. The floodgates are now open because I've been passing on the box sets with either zero or simply worthless bonus material.

If I include bootlegs, my Mott The Hoople collection (including solo releases) is over 200. My priorities have shifted the last few years and owning over 200 releases seems ridiculous. All you need is about 20 releases to hear everything you really need to hear by Mott The Hoople and friends. I'm not counting box sets, I'm just talking straight up releases. That would be a savings of...uh...yeah...we won't mention any of this to the Wife.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Buckeye Randy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:17 pm
Sir Didymus wrote:

I went the route of collecting CDs with Mott The Hoople although I do have all my vinyl from the 70's.

I'm holding out hope that Ronson's recent CD reissue set will make it to vinyl.

I'm trying to collate a full set of modern Bowie vinyl reissues, including albums he's heavily involved with - All The Young Dudes, Transformer, the various Iggy records etc. Plus I've been buying up various digital singles, and found a few gems along the way too.

In fact, since the release of Five Years in late 2015, I've bought:

Vinyl Box-Sets
  • Spying Through A Keyhole: Demos and Unreleased Songs - 4x7"
  • Clareville Grove Demos - 3x7"
  • Space Oddity: 50th Anniversary - 2x7"
  • BOWPROMO - 1xLP in box for RSD
  • Five Years [1969 - 1973] - 13x LP
  • Who Can I Be Now? [1974 - 1976] - 13x LP
  • A New Career in a New Town [1977 - 1982] - 13x LP
  • Loving the Alien [1983 - 1988] - 15x LP
Vinyl Albums
  • David Bowie '67 - 2x LP
  • Space Oddity [2019 Mix]
  • All the Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
  • Transformer - Lou Reed
  • Cracked Actor (Live Lost Angeles '74) - 3x LP for RSD
  • Heaven and Earth and the Stars - Lulu
  • The Idiot - Iggy Pop
  • Lust for Life - Iggy Pop
  • TV Eye Live 1977 - Iggy Pop
  • Blah-Blah-Blah - Iggy Pop
  • David Bowie Narrates Peter and the Wolf
  • Bowie Now - White vinyl for RSD
  • Live in Berlin [1978] L.P. - Orange vinyl Brooklyn Museum exclusive
  • Welcome to the Blackout - 3x LP for RSD
  • Christiane F. - Red vinyl - physical store exclusive
  • Labyrinth - 2017 Remaster
  • Beside Bowie: The Mick Ronson Story - Online exclusive 2x Red vinyl LP
  • Is It Any Wonder?
  • VH1 Storytellers - 2x LP
  • Glastonbury 2000 - 3x LP
Vinyl Singles
  • Toy Solider - The Riot Squad
  • Rock 'N' Roll Suicide - Original UK pressing
  • Vicious / Satellite of Love - Lou Reed
  • Sorrow - Original UK pressing
  • Golden Years - Original UK demo pressing
  • Sound and Vision - Original UK pressing
  • Music from the original soundtrack Just A Gigolo - David Bowie & Marlene Dietrich - Blue 7"
  • Ashes to Ashes - Original UK pressing
  • Up the Hill Backwards - Original UK pressing
  • David Bowie in Bertolt Brecht's Baal - 10" physical store exclusive
  • Let's Dance [Demo] - 12" for RSD
  • China Girl - Original UK pressing
  • No Plan
CD Box-Sets
  • Conversation Piece
CD Albums
  • People From Bad Homes - Ava Cherry & The Astronettes
  • All Saints [Collected Instrumentals 1977-1999]
  • Is It Any Wonder?
  • The Ice Storm: Music from the Motion Picture
  • Shrek 2: Music from the Motion Picture
  • Return to Cookie Mountain - TV on the Radio
CD Singles
  • New Killer Star - DVD Single
Digital Albums
  • Live at La Ciagale, Paris, 25th June, 1989 - Tin Machine
Digital Singles
  • Space Oddity [2019 Single Mix]
  • Conversation Piece [2019 Mix]
  • Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud [2019 Mix]
  • Life on Mars [2016 Mix]
  • Rebel Rebel [2019 Remastered Single Mix]
  • Revolutionary Song [2016 Remasters]
  • Let's Dance [Demo]
  • Let's Dance [Nile Rodgers String Version]
  • Zeroes (2018)
  • Beat of Your Drum (2018)
  • Fun [Dillinja Mix]
  • Loving the Alien [2018 Remaster] - The Scumfrog vs David Bowie
  • Lazarus
  • Brits 2016 Bowie Tribute - David Bowie Band feat. Lorde
  • I Can't Give Everything Away
  • No Plan
I don't even want to think how much that all cost... especially as I've still been collecting a huge variety of other artists work during the same timeframe. My iTunes estimates I've added at least another 20k songs to my library since he died, so... eesh. I spent a lotta cash. :lol:

Though for comparison, the ONLY Queen related things I've bought since November 2015 when I got Five Years are:
  • News of the World: 40th Anniversary Edition - Vinyl, CD & DVD Box-Set
  • Jazz - HMV Pink 12" Vinyl
  • I Want to Break Free - 7" Vinyl Single with Deacon red cover
  • It's A Hard Life - 7" vinyl single with withdrawn sleeve
  • Heaven for Everyone - 7" jukebox single
  • Too Much Love Will Kill You - 7" jukebox single
  • On Air - 6xCD box set
  • Bohemian Rhapsody Soundtrack - New tracks as digital downloads only
  • New Horizons - Brian May 12" for RSD
  • Mr Bad Guy (Special Edition) - 12" LP
  • Barcelona (Special Edition) - 12" LP Reissue
  • Never Boring - 12" LP
  • Time Waits for No One - digital single
  • Fun on Earth - Roger Taylor 2x LP
  • Journey's End - Roger Taylor digital video single
  • Gangsters are Running This World - Roger Taylor digital single
  • Two Late - Tim Staffell CD
Queen just aren't exciting my wallet anymore.

Buckeye Randy

Post by Buckeye Randy »

Do you also collect the vinyl bootlegs of yesteryear? I loved getting those bootleg catalogues from the back of Rolling Stone or other music mags. Most the ones I ordered were pretty generic; plain white label on the album that came in a plain white sleeve with a two color flyer that had the track listing.

Occasionally, you would come across boots that had elaborate artwork that was better than most legit releases...only to find the usual crappy bootleg sound. I think Queen's "A Night At The Warehouse" wins the award in that regard.

Review
https://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/ ... rdour-056/

Kes

Post by Kes »

Anyway, if Queen ARE doing a The Game boxset any time soon, then it's the best kept secret Queen have ever had, and being made by pixies in total communication free lockdown.

Think we're under 6 weeks from the anniversary now.

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Frank wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:37 pm
Well, we do know for certain that The Miracle had TONS of material the band had to sort through before narrowing it down to the 10 tracks we got on the album. The concerning part for me is that they chose songs like My Baby Does Me and Rain Must Fall over that material...so how much better can some of it really be? haha
Good point. Especially those 2 are one of the worst Queen songs ever. The Miracle has some great stuff some average stuff and utter Garbage

runner70

Post by runner70 »

miracle69 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:55 am
They did spend alot of time in the studio recording ’The game’ album, so their must have been at least alot of alt. takes on songs. Some stuff has been released like the original version of Its a beautiful day, but there must be more. Right? :o
Would love to hear Rock it with Freddie only vocals