The Game 40th anniversary box set.

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Old Man

Re: The Game 40th anniversary box set.

Post by Old Man »

Jake wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:15 pm
I’ve noticed most QAL fans are older ladies. The new fans tend to be teenagers after having seen the Bohemian Rhapsody film. Most seem to be hugely into Freddie, with no opinion on Lambert.
Everybody has the right to love that music. And I like it, that so many new people still get into it.
For me the story of "Queen" ended in 1991. But I consider everything else as a welcome encore. I don't have to like everything, but I also didn't like everything before.
From a musicians standpoint it's absolutely normal, that May and Taylor want to play as long as they can.
So whatever happened since, the Musical, QPR, QAL, The movie....it all helped to keep the music and the memory alive.
I don't "get" the bashing of "whoever sings the songs", cause it all led to the fact, that Freddie Mercury - although dead for nearly three decades - has more media presence nowadays than he ever had in his lifetime. I can assure you, I was there....
And the band still plays the biggest venues. When you compare all that to other huge acts from the 70s and 80s, who play nowadays in shopping malls, smallest clubs or are nearly forgotten, "Queen" must have done something right.

I think I already wrote it somewhere on this board. "Queen" was never only about Freddie or the bandmembers. "Queen" was about the songs and those always attracted a huge audience. Even when no member of "Queen" was on stage at all. The audience was and still is "the star". And as long as the audience is there, everything is fine.

Enjoy the music, that's what it's all about. ;)

Kes

Post by Kes »

Can't really disagree with any of that.

It does make me wonder though, if when Q&AL is a past thing, whether he'll be able to shake off how ever many years, he's been in a Queen tribute band.

He's in great danger of suffering the problems long term soap stars have of shaking off the characters they play.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Kes wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:26 pm
It does make me wonder though, if when Q&AL is a past thing, whether he'll be able to shake off how ever many years, he's been in a Queen tribute band.

He's in great danger of suffering the problems long term soap stars have of shaking off the characters they play.
I don't see that danger, I think his biggest problem is the one every musician has by now: Will Corona ever disappear? Can he ever return to the stage? Whatever life has planned for Adam Lambert, he can say one day "I sang for Queen". Not many people can say that and it will always open many doors for him. In 30...40 years from now, when we are all gone, he will be in high demand of telling people about "that band" from the past century....

I'm not happy with describing QAL or QPR as a "tribute Band". You have a cover-band or a tribute act, when there is no original member, who was involved in the creation of the songs. Otherwise every band or artist is a tribute act the very moment, one band member is replaced or dies.
A wise musician of a famous band, that often changed members, once said it best: "A band is a spirit. And as long as this "spirit" is there, it doesn't matter how many "original" members are in the band".
There are lots of special acts about "Queen" like Marc Martel. All power to him, but that's what I would call a "tribute act". And sooner or later that is, what will be left. So enjoy QAL as long as you can, you will never ever again get any nearer to the real thing..... ;)

Kes

Post by Kes »

If other people enjoy it, and want to go see it, great. For me, I'd rather stick with my memories of Wembley Arena, Milton Keynes and Knebworth.

I really can't see anything Mr Lambert can do, that will enhance those experiences, they can only really layer on top of them, and dim the memory. IMHO, Paul Rodgers had a catologue of world class songs that I liked independent of Queen, that he brought to the party. He couldn't sing like Fred, so he didn't try to, and as far as I'm concerned, that's THE big difference between QAL and QPR. Adam hasn't done anything outside of the Queen stage, that I can actually bear listening to (and most of the stuff he's done within it, sounds painful).

That's just how I feel.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Kes wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:01 am
If other people enjoy it, and want to go see it, great. For me, I'd rather stick with my memories of Wembley Arena, Milton Keynes and Knebworth.

I really can't see anything Mr Lambert can do, that will enhance those experiences, they can only really layer on top of them, and dim the memory. IMHO, Paul Rodgers had a catologue of world class songs that I liked independent of Queen, that he brought to the party. He couldn't sing like Fred, so he didn't try to, and as far as I'm concerned, that's THE big difference between QAL and QPR. Adam hasn't done anything outside of the Queen stage, that I can actually bear listening to (and most of the stuff he's done within it, sounds painful).

That's just how I feel.
Absolutely agree with that assessment. I quite liked the idea that with Paul, they had to rethink those songs and frame them differently. And in turn, they got to Queenify some of his own iconic tracks.

But with Lambert - I'm just hearing someone technically very good at singing deliver the songs with all the right notes, but none of the passion or drive they need to really land.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

I saw QAL once some years ago and Lambert's voice was precise but very shrill in the mix. Brian was quite ill and struggling. The show was okay. But as I wrote before, for me it's an encore to the original career. Lambert's solo stuff is not my cup of tea. But when I recently saw the Fire Fight concert from Australia I was impressed, how they managed to have a second "Live Aid" moment.
QPR was a bit more interesting. That was the first time "Queen" "returned" and I remember the excitement in the building was electric. Freddies "presence" was somehow felt bigger than when he really was there in the same building. And it's fair to say, that the Freddie I saw there in 1982 was not a person, I would have liked to meet. It was not the "Live-Aid Freddie" that night.....

Life goes on, that was then, this is now. And at the moment there is nothing at all. And I fear, it will stay this way for a long time to come.
And who sings for Queen is one of the smallest problems we have these days.... :cry:

miracle69

Post by miracle69 »

According to a billboard magazine interview with Roger published on the 12 july 1980, they actually recorded 25 tracks during the game sessions. So if no-one erased the tapes there should be a few outtakes to put on a box set?

The interview also mentions plans to make it a double album considering the huge amount of tracks that were recorded, but following the lukewarm reception to their Live Killers double album, changed their minds..

I dont know how to publish photos here otherwise i would post a photo of the interview.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

miracle69 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:02 pm
According to a billboard magazine interview with Roger published on the 12 july 1980, they actually recorded 25 tracks during the game sessions. So if no-one erased the tapes there should be a few outtakes to put on a box set?

The interview also mentions plans to make it a double album considering the huge amount of tracks that were recorded, but following the lukewarm reception to their Live Killers double album, changed their minds..

I dont know how to publish photos here otherwise i would post a photo of the interview.
I know how attach to message photo. When you write a post above dialog window you can see many signs and there is one sign which looks like a pic. This is sign will help you

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

miracle69 wrote:

I am shocked to know that 15 songs remained out of the board

miracle69

Post by miracle69 »

TheMiracleMan wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:16 pm
miracle69 wrote:

I am shocked to know that 15 songs remained out of the board
I tried to click the photo thingie but still cant figure it out :|