Re: The Game 40th anniversary box set.

Post by TheMiracleMan »

miracle69 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:46 pm
TheMiracleMan wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:16 pm
miracle69 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:02 pm
According to a billboard magazine interview with Roger published on the 12 july 1980, they actually recorded 25 tracks during the game sessions. So if no-one erased the tapes there should be a few outtakes to put on a box set?

The interview also mentions plans to make it a double album considering the huge amount of tracks that were recorded, but following the lukewarm reception to their Live Killers double album, changed their minds..

I dont know how to publish photos here otherwise i would post a photo of the interview.
I am shocked to know that 15 songs remained out of the board
I tried to click the photo thingie but still cant figure it out :|

Well it's ok, don't worry, if it's possible you can write part of interview there.

miracle69

Post by miracle69 »

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

miracle69 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:52 pm
Here is a link to the interview
https://books.google.se/books?id=kSQEAA ... e&q&f=true

Thank you. Sounds interesting. But if this cut it means that We'll never see The Game Box set

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Old Man wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:14 am
Kes wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:26 pm
It does make me wonder though, if when Q&AL is a past thing, whether he'll be able to shake off how ever many years, he's been in a Queen tribute band.

He's in great danger of suffering the problems long term soap stars have of shaking off the characters they play.
I don't see that danger, I think his biggest problem is the one every musician has by now: Will Corona ever disappear? Can he ever return to the stage? Whatever life has planned for Adam Lambert, he can say one day "I sang for Queen". Not many people can say that and it will always open many doors for him. In 30...40 years from now, when we are all gone, he will be in high demand of telling people about "that band" from the past century....

I'm not happy with describing QAL or QPR as a "tribute Band". You have a cover-band or a tribute act, when there is no original member, who was involved in the creation of the songs. Otherwise every band or artist is a tribute act the very moment, one band member is replaced or dies.
A wise musician of a famous band, that often changed members, once said it best: "A band is a spirit. And as long as this "spirit" is there, it doesn't matter how many "original" members are in the band".
There are lots of special acts about "Queen" like Marc Martel. All power to him, but that's what I would call a "tribute act". And sooner or later that is, what will be left. So enjoy QAL as long as you can, you will never ever again get any nearer to the real thing..... ;)

I rather listen to a near perfect Tribute act like MArtel (who I like a lot) than listening to a screecher pretending to be the real thing. And BTW he NEVER was or will be a singer with Queen as Queen ended in 1995-1997. End of story really. This is QUeen plus (or minus in my book)

runner70

Post by runner70 »

Kes wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:01 am
If other people enjoy it, and want to go see it, great. For me, I'd rather stick with my memories of Wembley Arena, Milton Keynes and Knebworth.

I really can't see anything Mr Lambert can do, that will enhance those experiences, they can only really layer on top of them, and dim the memory. IMHO, Paul Rodgers had a catologue of world class songs that I liked independent of Queen, that he brought to the party. He couldn't sing like Fred, so he didn't try to, and as far as I'm concerned, that's THE big difference between QAL and QPR. Adam hasn't done anything outside of the Queen stage, that I can actually bear listening to (and most of the stuff he's done within it, sounds painful).

That's just how I feel.
I agree 110%! WEll said especially when it comes to QPR. The highlight of these shows were the Free and BC songs. And no Glitter and effects needed . A full-on Rockband. QAL are are Las Vegas Queen Schmaltz act

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

runner70 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:43 pm

I rather listen to a near perfect Tribute act like MArtel (who I like a lot) than listening to a screecher pretending to be the real thing. And BTW he NEVER was or will be a singer with Queen as Queen ended in 1995-1997. End of story really. This is QUeen plus (or minus in my book)
The only thing that matters is, that great songs stay alive in the concert scene. Especially when their creators can no longer perform them anymore for whatever reason. And as long as this happens, everything is fine. So if you prefer to hear Marc Martel performing the catalogue of Queen - simply enjoy it. There is no need for this negativity.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Since Queen started, the whole lay of the land has turned on it's head.

Bands used to tour to sell albums, now because of downloads and streaming, they make albums to create material to tour with. All the money is in playing shows, selling tickets and t-shirts. Using their identity as Queen, gives them a much cherished repertoire of material to cherrypick their sets from.

Consequently, touring creates two benefits for Brian and Roger. It generates money, and maintains an interest in their legacy. If they didn't have this interest, they'd have put Queen to bed about 15 years ago. And all the material in the vaults would have probably gone ni-nights at the same time.

You might consider that criticising the band, whoever's up front singing the songs, is negativity. Maybe it is, but like the people who praise this incarnation of Queen have a right to do so. If thry do, then the people on the other side of the discussion also have a right to say what they feel.

Kes

Post by Kes »

For anyone who ordered the picture disc release of The Game, I received mine this morning, so if you havent already received them, they're on their way.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Got my too! Looking forward to the Hot Space picture disc in a coupe years

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Me too. Looks good.

I just need to upgrade my turntable to see if it sounds good!