Queen+Adam Lambert live Boxset
2%
Roger Taylor new solo album: Fun in Hell
6%

Total votes: 50

Generic username

Re: What should come next?

Post by Generic username »

MyHumanZoo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:39 pm I’m curious, what do you all think would be the sales on an anthology or even some sort of box set? There are a lot of hard core fans that would want it I guess, but would it really make them enough money to warrant the costs of putting it together and releasing it? Will the masses empty their pockets as they apparently will for the Q + AL stuff?
They know how many Rainbow /Odeon / NOTW / On air boxes they sold, and the very fact that they keep doing them suggests that they're profitable. Whether it's QPL or the record company who actually take the risk is another question...

Kes

Post by Kes »

It really isn't always about the money.

In five years time, we get to the 40th anniversary of the last time Queen played live. FORTY YEARS.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:59 pm Despite my cool attitude towards the solo work of the guitarist astrophysicist, his solo work was the only one still not re-released as a box set. Freddie and Roger have box sets, but Brian is the only one left without his box set.
Despite the fact that he only has 2 solo albums and 1 soundtrack, I think he has material that can be released along with the remastered albums
While they're not really my cup of tea, Brian also has several albums with Kerrie Ellis, and on a technicality the Anita Dobson solo album could go in there too.

Plus there's the mini album Star Fleet Project and that Red Special EP that would bulk it out a bit.

I suspect his extra curricular activities are harder to track - and license - than the others, but I'm sure a solid set could be pulled together.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

I agree with the underlying point, but star Fleet was already used to bulk out BTTL single B sides (and was most welcome), and the RS EP was a B side compilation anyway, wasn't it?

Kes

Post by Kes »

Some would say, that was a quarter of a century ago, though.

Kes

Post by Kes »

That's my point about the QAL stuff, when you've been patiently wishing and hoping for something for forty years, and "they'd" rather put out something made in the last decade, then it could seem a bit disappointing, however more current it might seem.

Alright for current incarnation fans, they have instant access to legacy releases, the rest of us had to access it progressively, as the band released it.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Kes wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:12 pm That's my point about the QAL stuff, when you've been patiently wishing and hoping for something for forty years, and "they'd" rather put out something made in the last decade, then it could seem a bit disappointing, however more current it might seem.

Alright for current incarnation fans, they have instant access to legacy releases, the rest of us had to access it progressively, as the band released it.
I understand your point. It's especially disappointing if you actually care for QAL too and then get that bare-bones compilation though there exists way better and complete footage. And that's the first proper Release after 10 years QAL. oO

Waiting as a Queen fan for decades though must take a lot of patience, that's for sure. I don't really get why they spread it out over such a long time...like with the Doors f.e....they ended in the early 70s and still the Isle If Wight concert was only released in 2018, almost 50 years later. oO For me as a rather younger fan it was great, but for people waiting since the 70s it must have felt like eternity.

Ray

Post by Ray »

JLP wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:27 pm
Ray wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:23 pm How about a high quality leak of some late 70s bootleg? :lol:

If they don't release those anyways...I hate it when wonderful stuff like that actually exists but just collects dust in some archive for decades.
Somewhere I have a disc with a show from Paris in 1979. There is another show on there too.
Me too, but the quality is well... typical bootleg quality. I also have the yet unreleased 70s Zeppelin concerts, but if you compare that footage with the one they restored and released on the live DVD compilation, that's quite a difference. I wish they'd release the complete concerts like that, not just excerpts. And same for Queen's still unreleased 70s concerts.

Cmsdrums

Post by Cmsdrums »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:17 pm

Yes. But Queen Anthology is a myth. Nobody promised this anthology
Not “promised” as such, but there have been several comments, press releases, interviews, and fan club articles over the years that have said they are working on an anthology/archive set and that it was very much planned to be released. So, whilst not “promised”, it was certainly intimated, and expectations were set.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Cmsdrums wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:30 pm
TheMiracleMan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:17 pm

Yes. But Queen Anthology is a myth. Nobody promised this anthology
Not “promised” as such, but there have been several comments, press releases, interviews, and fan club articles over the years that have said they are working on an anthology/archive set and that it was very much planned to be released. So, whilst not “promised”, it was certainly intimated, and expectations were set.
"Intriguingly, two tracks from this album began life during sessions for Queen albums, but were ultimately left off and later reworked by Freddie on his own. There Must Be More To Life Than This dates back to 1981 Hot Space sessions, while Man Made Paradise - a significantly different version to this - first emerged in 1983, during the making of The Works. More To Life was scheduled to close the album until Brian and Freddie wrote Is This The World We Created. Those versions have not been forgotten here: they will instead feature on the forthcoming Queen anthology collection."

That was over 20 years ago in The Solo Collection liner notes. I'd call that a promise, tbh.