Queen on Compilations/Various Artists albums

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Young Music Fan

Queen on Compilations/Various Artists albums

Post by Young Music Fan »

It's known that Queen often appear as the first track on a various artists compilation e.g. look at various Now That's What I Call Music albums (Now 2, Now 21, Now 32 and Now 33 among three others) and recently released ones Now 100 Hits Classic Rock, 70s and Car Songs.

But can you think of any exceptions to this? Now 16 and Now 19 are two examples with Breakthru and Innuendo respectively. I'm sure there are lots but probably not near the same number as opening tracks. Now! have often said how Queen always demanded first track on their albums.

Also are there any unusual songs included on albums like Brighton Rock on the soundtrack for Baby Driver?

MyFaerieQueene

Re: Queen on Compilations/Various Artists albums

Post by MyFaerieQueene »

I had a Telstar double cassette called Greatest Hits ’92 given to me when I was little and ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ was the first song on cassette one, side one (obviously). However, I used to like to listen to cassette two first so I could save the song up as a treat. Usually I’d not bother with the rest of the tape.

That’s the problem with putting Queen first on a compilation – everything else on there is a disappointment.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

On Now 4 they're track one disc 2, for some reason - It's A Hard Life.

I can't remember when they started doing this, but I have a feeling it was a little later.

Young Music Fan

The song I find most interesting on a NOW album is Too Much Love Will Kill You on NOW 33 which opened the album instead of the second song which was Oasis' Don't Look Back In Anger the obvious and probably biggest song at the time.

Also with the NOW albums, Breakthru, Driven By You, Too Much Love Will Kill You (BM) and Living On My Own although not the opening tracks of either discs they were the start of side two on the first vinyl.
Last edited by Young Music Fan on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank

Post by Frank »

My mind is blown listening to you all talk about the Now CDs. Here in America it's a much different story.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Frank wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:57 pm
My mind is blown listening to you all talk about the Now CDs. Here in America it's a much different story.
Yeah, they started much later over there, didn't they?

They've been re-releasing the originals on CD over here, Now 5 came out a few weeks ago. 2 discs of 1984 goodness.

Frank

Post by Frank »

WeeMann wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 pm
Frank wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:57 pm
Yeah, they started much later over there, didn't they?

They've been re-releasing the originals on CD over here, Now 5 came out a few weeks ago. 2 discs of 1984 goodness.
Yeah, it started in the 90s over here, I think. I had no idea the UK had theirs much earlier.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

1983 and there tended to be two per year. They revolutionised the compilation album.

Kes

Post by Kes »

They're up to NOW 105, here.

Hope they stop with the reissues before NOW 10. I think I've got all the original CD issues from the start to now. They were very sporadic on CD up to the tenth one. Despite the fact they've always been double vinyl LPs, at least, I think they only did condensed Single CD versions for 4, 8 and 9. After that, they went to double CDs.

BTW. The first compilation I ever saw a genuine Queen track on, was the soundtrack to the movie FM, which had We Will Rock You somewhere in the middle of it. Fairly sure it was the very first, in the UK anyway.

Young Music Fan

Kes wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:00 pm
They're up to NOW 105, here.

Hope they stop with the reissues before NOW 10. I think I've got all the original CD issues from the start to now. They were very sporadic on CD up to the tenth one. Despite the fact they've always been double vinyl LPs, at least, I think they only did condensed Single CD versions for 4, 8 and 9. After that, they went to double CDs.

BTW. The first compilation I ever saw a genuine Queen track on, was the soundtrack to the movie FM, which had We Will Rock You somewhere in the middle of it. Fairly sure it was the very first, in the UK anyway.
It will be interesting to see whether they will continue the reissues. In my opinion they should add more tracks to them because I'm sure all the albums must've omitted hit singles, didn't they omit A Kind Of Magic from the one album? (Although it was a bonus, hidden track on a couple of issues.)

I wonder whether with the reissues they've had problem licensing certain tracks? There might well be some artists unwilling to allow tracks now.