Roger at Freddie Tribute

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
adatr

Roger at Freddie Tribute

Post by adatr »

Going back nearly 15 years somebody posted on the old Queen forum about the Scorpions and Chris Thompson at the Freddie Tribute Concert in 1992

I always assumed the Scorpions whilst they never performed (but can be seen in the WATC finale)were there as a backUp “name” in case one of the big names failed to show

My understanding is Chris was listed to play AKOM but due to the concert running over on time that performance was pulled. There is a compilation of rehearsals for the concert where he is rehearsing this with queen as they interview Lisa Stansfield

However one thing I am also 100% certain I read is that Roger was slated to play Old Friends but this was also Pulled due to time. I am Convinced I read this in a fan club mag post the concert but I have checked my mags and no sign

I realise it predates it release on his happiness album by two years in 1994 but it’s such a specific song I remember reading it somewhere and it staying in my memory

Can anyone recollect reading this somewhere at the time ?

Generic username

Re: Roger at Freddie Tribute

Post by Generic username »

In answer to your question, I've never seen a reference to Old Friends being in the set list.

Re: the scorpions - if they were a contingency, they'd have been in some rehearsal pics, which they are not.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Generic username wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:01 pm
In answer to your question, I've never seen a reference to Old Friends being in the set list.

Re: the scorpions - if they were a contingency, they'd have been in some rehearsal pics, which they are not.
If they were a contingency band for the first half they wouldn't have been at the rehearsals for the second half.

Peace Loving Guy

Post by Peace Loving Guy »

Before the rumour about Chris Thompson, the original rumour was that Roger was going to sing AKOM. I’m not saying that was true, but that was the rumour immediately after the show, that he didn’t do it because the show ran overtime.

It would make sense that Roger would sing Old Friends, because Brian sang Too Much Love Will Kill You, also unreleased. But it would make WAY more sense for Roger to sing These are the days of our lives, or AKOM, or Radio Ga Ga if he was going to thing something.

Generic username

WeeMann wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:26 pm
Generic username wrote:

If they were a contingency band for the first half they wouldn't have been at the rehearsals for the second half.
Admittedly I hadn't thought about them in that context, although most of the first half groups were in the second half too. If either Geldof or Spinal Tap hadn't shown up, the first half wouldn't have overrun and RT would have sung AKOM.

I think they were just there for moral support. Sam Fox was there at the end too, and nobody seems to be suggesting her as a contingency!

Kes

Post by Kes »

Bouncy castle, for the kids?

Generic username

Kes wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:43 pm
Bouncy castle, for the kids?
Kids? I was 21 at the time...

Kes

Post by Kes »

I was suggesting a possible use for Samantha Fox, backstage.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Generic username wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm
WeeMann wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:26 pm
Generic username wrote:

Admittedly I hadn't thought about them in that context, although most of the first half groups were in the second half too. If either Geldof or Spinal Tap hadn't shown up, the first half wouldn't have overrun and RT would have sung AKOM.

I think they were just there for moral support. Sam Fox was there at the end too, and nobody seems to be suggesting her as a contingency!
Was she onstage at the end? I never knew she was there until now.

Generic username

Kes wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:03 pm
I was suggesting a possible use for Samantha Fox, backstage.
I know, I was questioning why that would be restricted to kids!