50 Years of Queen!

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Frank

50 Years of Queen!

Post by Frank »

I meant to post this yesterday but was too busy. Anywho...

Happy 50th Anniversary to Queen!!

It was on June 27, 1970 that Queen played their first gig in Truro at City Hall. The story goes that Roger's mom scheduled the concert earlier in the year and helped advertise it. The band was booked as Smile, but come May of that year Tim Staffell quit the band for Humpy Bong and as fate would have it a young Freddie Bulsara persisted that Roger and Brian give him a chance. Not wanting to let Roger's mom down, they decided to let Freddie take over vocals and also enlisted their friend Mike Grose (sadly passed away last year) to play bass guitar. Soon Freddie convinced the band to change their name to QUEEN and an incredible journey began! Of course, John didn't join the band until February of 1971, so we'll have that to celebrate too eventually!!

Btw, from what I can tell there are only two confirmed Queen songs from their first gig as Queen - Stone Cold Crazy and Son and Daughter.

Black Wings

Re: 50 Years of Queen!

Post by Black Wings »

Who knew then what that first show led to. Pretty amazing isn't it. :)

Frank

Post by Frank »

I think Freddie always knew he'd be the legend he became (and by that extension the band). It just took the rest of the world some time to catch up to him. Put aside the band's insane talent -- it's the faith they had in themselves that is so inspiring to me. They settled for nothing less than first place. I both admire and envy that sort of ambition. I've tried to emulate it as best as I can in my own life, though not always successfully.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Hmm great data I must say.
I wonder if QPL does not know about it and not planning release something new

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Roger has posted about this on the day of the jubilee.

Unfortunately I hadn’t seen any posts about it on Queen boards, so I was wondering, why nobody is really paying attention to 50 years of Queen. :?
I know, it wasn’t really Queen yet, but when is the „official“ date? Or is there none?
Thanks for this topic @Frank!

Frank

Post by Frank »

I'm not sure the specific date, but John joined in February 1971, so maybe they're waiting till next year. It would certainly make sense. And besides, they officially celebrated their 40th anniversary in 2011, and looking further back their 20th in 1991. I just think it's cool the first gig under the Queen name was 50 freaking years ago. My band is getting so old!! And many of you as well!!! :P

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Goodness...50 years...so far away...so long ago. But I think, those anniversaries are an invention by the media and record companies to raise attention for some product.
I can't imagine any Queen member thinking about that anniversary, cause there will be too many. First time meeting John Deacon....first time entering a studio.....first time on stage with that line up....release of the first single....first album.....first tour.....first ever radio play.....

Do I ever think "Today 50 years ago I went to school for the first time"..or "Today 40 years ago I had my first paid job ?" Honestly no.... :lol:

Frank

Post by Frank »

Old Man wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:04 pm
Goodness...50 years...so far away...so long ago. But I think, those anniversaries are an invention by the media and record companies to raise attention for some product.
I can't imagine any Queen member thinking about that anniversary, cause there will be too many. First time meeting John Deacon....first time entering a studio.....first time on stage with that line up....release of the first single....first album.....first tour.....first ever radio play.....

Do I ever think "Today 50 years ago I went to school for the first time"..or "Today 40 years ago I had my first paid job ?" Honestly no.... :lol:
True, but even Rog took notice and said something on social media about this anniversary. I never expected a LARGE announcement from the band or its production team, but it's a lovely little milestone to take note of. I have no doubt that their 50th anniversary with John Deacon joining the band will get some kind of celebration...whether that be a special release, who knows. But still, their 40th saw all of their albums being given new treatment. Hell, we even got a 40th anniverary T-shirt that still collects dust in my closet...what an ugly shirt (why I ended up buying it is beyond me). Still can't believe Bri and Rog didn't choose something with more imagination.