The Miracle Box set

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
TheMiracleMan

Re: The Miracle Box set

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Mona Lisa wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:29 pm Don't want to be crude here, but when one of our heros will die suddenly, like it's not unlikely to happen in the next 50 years (or 25), we'll regret some bitter thoughts. That's for me at least ^^
Note, nobody says Brian or Roger is bad. We can understand that they are tied hand and foot by a contract.We just do not understand how one can sing laudatory opuses to someone who cannot sing rock songs, whose destiny is to sing sugary pop songs.But, we have both anger and misunderstanding when they say they hate this or that song that Freddie wrote( I am about don't stop me now) but they included in their Q+AL setlist

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

WeeMann wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:13 pm I can't imagine the Q&AL situation has had the slightest impact on The Miracle. In fact, I would almost say a delay in The Miracle opened up the possibility of Q&AL.
That's very likely the case. At the moment there is no market for box-sets and even new albums.
With Corona stopping the whole world from having any fun, no one needs a "Miracle Box" right now. Even the "Beatles" have postponed their "Let it be"-box and Movie to next year.
Music is a business and about making money. And to release a box-set for ten die-hard fans, who in the end will only complain, that the box is not exactly how they would have wanted it, really makes no sense. So a Q&AL live album is a nice filler for all those, who have accepted, that Freddie Mercury is dead for three decades and life has to go on....

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Old Man wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:22 pmThat's very likely the case. At the moment there is no market for box-sets and even new albums.
Thin Lizzy have just announced/released for pre-order their big rarities box set, and it's selling well (at least, most of the versions with extra goodies have already sold out). There's clearly a market.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:41 pm
Mona Lisa wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:29 pm Don't want to be crude here, but when one of our heros will die suddenly, like it's not unlikely to happen in the next 50 years (or 25), we'll regret some bitter thoughts. That's for me at least ^^
Note, nobody says Brian or Roger is bad. We can understand that they are tied hand and foot by a contract.We just do not understand how one can sing laudatory opuses to someone who cannot sing rock songs, whose destiny is to sing sugary pop songs.But, we have both anger and misunderstanding when they say they hate this or that song that Freddie wrote( I am about don't stop me now) but they included in their Q+AL setlist
Who is „We“? These are your personal opinions, that you share with a few others, but everything considered you cannot call it „we“.
And where is it said that they hate DSMN? Tell me, because until now I‘ve only read in this topic that Brian has said so apparently about 20 years ago (2002 was mentioned). The QAL setlist isn’t only Brian’s doing.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:39 pm
Thin Lizzy have just announced/released for pre-order their big rarities box set, and it's selling well (at least, most of the versions with extra goodies have already sold out). There's clearly a market.
Please mention figures !

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:39 pm
Old Man wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:22 pmThat's very likely the case. At the moment there is no market for box-sets and even new albums.
Is that like when concerts sell out on the first morning of sale, only for more tickets to subsequently be "discovered" quietly later on?

Ie, the first pressing (of one copy) has sold, and we're now deciding how big a second pressing to produce based on how many people seem to want it...

The Invisible Fan

Post by The Invisible Fan »

Ray wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:19 am I'm actually surprised they didn't release something QAL related way sooner. They have been touring for years now and there were many shows filmed. And it seems they even did this live album now only because of the current situation and because they can't tour. It's disappointing anyway that they only made this short compilation, when they have so much more material.

No idea about when they planned the Miracle boxset, but it's obvious they won't release two new Queen(-related) products at the same time...though I can't imagine those two releases compromising sales in any way, since it seems that those are for the most part two different target audiences. I would buy both though.

The thing is it seems there aren't THAT many fans who are interested in those kind of re-releases. At least the impression from the last years was that the NOTW or 70s concerts didn't sell THAT well. I'm still hoping for a 77/79 tour DVD, but it almost seems by now they don't see a market for that sadly. Tbh, I'd rather see one of those 70s concerts sooner than the Miracle boxset...don't expect too much from that before seeing what will be actually announced. But a late 70s live DVD is my most wanted release from them.

What I still don't get is that they didn't release stuff like that (or f.e. the music videos on Blu-ray) shortly after the movie became a huge success. So many people were into Queen at that time, there was no better time to release something...still, they didn't, except that Freddie boxset and the Mr. Bad Guy remix way later.
I've only got the NOTW box and to me that was right on the line which they've crossed with the two concert boxes. Way too much autotune, even Paul McCartney releases RAW material on which he sometimes fails in hitting notes. He's already showed his capabilities and the less well sung parts wouldn't affect that. That's where PML and QPL differ.

The Invisible Fan

WJ1977 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:13 pm Ok. You have all made your point But I choose Queen plus Freddie.

Queen plus glambert is a bonus and partly a commercial/financial thing. And we all know B plus R love to tour.
We all know it isnt original and will always be called Queen plus ....

Look at John Deacon, not my choice to leave the band so definitetely. but when Freddie was alive they agreed to stop if one of the four is fallin out of the band.
Never before heard of that last part. I believ you, though, but it's hard to realise B + R would break such an important(and defying for your friendship) "oath".

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Generic username wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:58 pmIs that like when concerts sell out on the first morning of sale, only for more tickets to subsequently be "discovered" quietly later on?

Ie, the first pressing (of one copy) has sold, and we're now deciding how big a second pressing to produce based on how many people seem to want it...
No. It's been confirmed it's one-off limited run of 7,000 units.

And Lizzy have form in that regard - they did a big BBC sessions box set a few years ago in similarly limited quantities, and that sold out quickly and now copies are incredibly hard to find second-hand and fetch ridiculous prices. There's vocal demand for a second run of that, but they've said they won't be doing it.

About 10 years ago they also did a run of two-disc deluxe reissues of their studio albums with a ton of great bonus tracks, and they've likewise been out of print for some time and now fetch a premium second-hand.

The Invisible Fan

Leigh Burne wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:50 am
Generic username wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:58 pmIs that like when concerts sell out on the first morning of sale, only for more tickets to subsequently be "discovered" quietly later on?

No. It's been confirmed it's one-off limited run of 7,000 units.

And Lizzy have form in that regard - they did a big BBC sessions box set a few years ago in similarly limited quantities, and that sold out quickly and now copies are incredibly hard to find second-hand and fetch ridiculous prices. There's vocal demand for a second run of that, but they've said they won't be doing it.

About 10 years ago they also did a run of two-disc deluxe reissues of their studio albums with a ton of great bonus tracks, and they've likewise been out of print for some time and now fetch a premium second-hand.
Who confirmed it? I’d buy it anyway! Great album with a big chance for QPL to do something useful.