The Miracle Box set

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Kes

Re: The Miracle Box set

Post by Kes »

I think there's a particular reason why nothing is set in stone, until the official announcement, approx six weeks before release.

In this case, quite recently, it got leaked when UMG put out a press release to shops as it went on to their schedules. The "intention" was so far up there, that the record company forecast a pencilled in date, and format.

They hadn't budgetted in Q+AL Live Around The World, and neither had Jim Beach over a year ago.

As I say, I think the intention is still there, it's the window that's probably moved.

It's happened before. Knebworth 86 was up for a release the same year Sonisphere was due to happen. Sonisphere got scrubbed, and so did it's accompanying live album.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Kes wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 am You've only got half a story there, action.

Had you been at Montreux when Jim Beach said about it, you might have got the context it was said in.

A tribute band, Bulsara and his Queenies, had just performed (or were about to, I can't remember which) The Miracle, cover to cover. He said "We intend to release a boxset of this/that album, next year!"

Brian and Roger weren't going to announce it, as they probably wouldn't go within half a mile of that room with THAT many manic Queen fans there.

Jim Beach isn't particularly what you'd call a maverick. Being the controlling interest of one quarter of the band, and it's set up, he has to be singing from the same hymnsheet, as Brian and Roger. Also, Brian and Roger's involvement in any archive boxset, would be minimal, apart from being involved in the original recording, and subsequently either giving a green or red light at various stages of the idea of a boxset coming to fruition. Had Brian or Roger not been up for the idea, it would have died at birth, rather than being "ready to go".

you manage to very clearly explain what's what.When I see your comments or responses to a particular post, I immediately understand this person knows what he is saying.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

it is strange that the Beatles release their box sets on streaming services, and the Queen does not release

WJ1977

Post by WJ1977 »

I think we have to wait until 2 of queen are alive. :lol:

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:44 am it is strange that the Beatles release their box sets on streaming services, and the Queen does not release
The Beatles have also postponed their "Let it be/Get back" - box and movie for a year.
Streaming takes the value out of the music. The downfall of the music-business began, when record companies in the late 90s saw the big money in selling "files" instead of sound carriers. What they did not notice: No one needs a record label for selling files....

We can't turn back the clock, but I can understand every artist for staying away from "streaming".

Kes

Post by Kes »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:40 am You manage to very clearly explain what's what.When I see your comments or responses to a particular post, I immediately understand this person knows what he is saying.
Not always, unfortunately.

Often I do try to rationalise situations, and "try" to see it from more than one perspective.

I'm as pissed off as anybody, if this boxset is delayed, but the knowledge that I have no control over it, if, or when it gets released, and the experience of waiting half a lifetime for stuff that I know is there, hopefully keeps my feet fairly close to the ground, if not on it.

WJ1977

Post by WJ1977 »

I think it is approperiate if our Jim tells the fans (of the original Queen) what we can expect.
Because he announced it very clearly in Montreux that this project including unreleased songs from the miracle would be released this year. Besides that, Greg has confirmed this by posting lots of info on FB .

Of course, the corona virus, has ruined a lot of the plans I guess. I really hope that the online Queen Convention
will give us some ideas of what to expect this year or in 2021.

..and of course our Jim doesnt need to justify to us of their postponed projects. But, I think he doesnt have the same feeling about unheard freddie vocals, because he probably can hear it everyday if he wants.

Moving into us as fans seems like a world he doenst know.

WJ1977

Post by WJ1977 »

Just haering Q and A from Brian / Roger about the live album.

And guess what Brian says. His favourite Queen song is The miracle.

Coincidence...

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

WJ1977 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 pm Just haering Q and A from Brian / Roger about the live album.

And guess what Brian says. His favourite Queen song is The miracle.

Coincidence...
Well, this is the same as asking Roger who his favorite president is or who he would vote for. And the answers would be Biden

Kes

Post by Kes »

Equally, Jim Beach was behind getting the Freddie boxset out there in 2000. Greg Brooks was in the process of sifting through, and preparing tracks for a similar Queen release, and got instructed to prioritise Freddie's solo stuff.

The difference is, Freddie's stuff was finite, whereas, "Queen" are still an ongoing entity, and have the ability to rework, or tweak stuff in the archive, if they choose to.

I wouldn't pan Jim Beach too much. He knows the value of the unreleased stuff, but although he has a say in potential releases, he's not a creative force towards the band, like Brian and Roger are.