The Miracle Box set

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
TheMiracleMan

Re: The Miracle Box set

Post by TheMiracleMan »

MusicalProstitute wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:39 pm
runner70 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:00 pm

All there was Covid and No tour so it means no money. A Bioxset is expensive and has a narrow profit margin. They do not cater for the diehards - hardly ever did. SO it is easier to make a lame live compialtion with this screaming parrot to get a lil money in the box. THat s about it. THis box wont be out for ages
Nah. If you seriously think multi-millionaires would be happy with the small amount of cash they got from the QAL live album then you are quite mad. It is obvious they do not need the money anymore and that they now do what makes them happy. Good for them. If they were so money-obsessed (as you clearly think they are) then they would not have chosen to go out on tour with Adam all those years ago (he was not a big name).

The reason is that they have always looked forward. Which is logical. Keep on doing things whilst you can and then release the archival stuff when you cannot.
Makes perfect sense to me.

So, yes, although it is rather frustrating for fans, it is just the way it is. And it is not Queen's fault news about forthcoming sets leak out well before they confirm any kind of date for their releases; which is why Greg no longer says too much anymore - he has had too much criticism and it is really not his fault either.

yawn multi-millionaires.

Kes

Post by Kes »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:08 pm I start suspect that The Miracle Box Set never will be released
Given how long these things take to get going, and at how short noticed it was postponed, I'd put money on them already having been pressed, and sat in UMG's warehouse waiting for a green light.

Kes

Post by Kes »

And, much as though I'm a Queen fan, not a QAL one, the band have probably made a shitload more money out of recent tours, than they have from Rainbow, Hammersmith, On Air, and the NOTW boxset combined.

How much are the tickets? £100 a pop? Let's say 50% of that goes to the band.

Average price of one of those sets? Let's say £40 between CD and vinyl formats. They probably get a fiver from those. Times that by about 15,000, that's £75k. Times that by the number of sets. £300,000 tops.

They've probably made a couple of million touring with Lambert. Where would YOUR priority be?

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

Well I often feel that Brian and Roger wouldn't be touring if they couldn't physically do it or enjoy it. They were the ones in Queen who always loved touring the most. So if they can't do it next year, it might not be because of the pandemic but because of Brian not being well enough.

Kes

Post by Kes »

What convinced Brian, was finding out during the Paul Rodgers era, that they could still fill BIG venues. I think these days, it's a very big motivating factor. He certainly gets a big buzz out of playing to big crowds.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Kes wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:55 pm What convinced Brian, was finding out during the Paul Rodgers era, that they could still fill BIG venues. I think these days, it's a very big motivating factor. He certainly gets a big buzz out of playing to big crowds.
Many do. Some bands are almost addicted to playing live, they just enjoy it so much. There is a reason so many old bands are still touring in their 70s and it's not (only) money. That's the lifestyle they've known and enjoyed for decades. It's hard to just give that up. So I'm not surprised at all Brian and Roger take all the chances they still get - they aren't infinite anymore. Don't think they need the money, I mean how can you not be super rich already with a legacy like that? Ticket prices are indeed high lately, but there is also a lot they offer at those concerts. Putting together big productions like that isn't cheap, you definitely get your money's worth. There are other bands with same or even higher prices, offering less. Ticket prices got way more expensive in the last 10-20 years anyways, can't compare that with back then. I always have a good laugh when the Pink Floyd FB page posts a ticket from the 70s that was like 5 pounds... ;)

Kes

Post by Kes »

Definitely. I remember when a ticket to see a big current band, was about the same price as an album.

In fact, the very last gig Queen did, at Knebworth 86, I seem to remember the tickets were £25. Back then, a CD was an average £15, that's about £5 more than they are now.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I think the first Donnington Monsters Of Rock I went to was £20.

The bill included Iron Maiden, Kiss, Dave Lee Roth and Guns 'n' Roses.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Nope, I got that wrong.

Tickets for Knebworth were £14.50 each, the same price as the Wembley ones were. So, at the time, they were actually less than the retail price of the A Kind Of Magic CD.

Another bit of associated trivia, was according to Brian and Roger, the Magic Tour was the first Queen tour to actually turn a profit.

TheMiracleMan

Re: Miracle Box Set

Post by TheMiracleMan »

until the box set is released its possible existence is a myth, a myth that was created by QPL. As a result, what do we see? Nothing. the miracle not happened, and it's not covid fault only