The Miracle Box set

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Ray

Re: The Miracle Box set

Post by Ray »

Sometimes it's better to not have some inside information...if in the end it doesn't really comes to fruition.

I remember not being nearly as well-informed as today when "Queen Rock Montreal" came out back then - I just walked into a store and there it suddenly was, that moment of surprise was wonderful.

Today I know so much about what's planned by my favourite bands from interviews and forums...usually it's good if they actually do what they mention there at some point. But if not, it's really disappointing and you always wonder "what happened with that?".

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Ray wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:53 pm Sometimes it's better to not have some inside information...if in the end it doesn't really comes to fruition.

I remember not being nearly as well-informed as today when "Queen Rock Montreal" came out back then - I just walked into a store and there it suddenly was, that moment of surprise was wonderful.

Today I know so much about what's planned by my favourite bands from interviews and forums...usually it's good if they actually do what they mention there at some point. But if not, it's really disappointing and you always wonder "what happened with that?".
That's the thing... this place was such a HUGE forum back in the day.

It started off in the late 90s as 'guest book' comments, eventually became a prototype forum with a log-in for the Solo Collection box in 2000, which then became a Queen micro-forum the following year, and then in 2003 the site became a PROPER forum. And probably from then til around 2007ish it was so busy. Full of friends and enemies and laughs and bitter fallouts. I'm not sure if it was the regular server crashes and changing URLs, or just the general move away from forums towards social media that made this place decline, but what's left now is a shadow of what once was, sadly...

Kes

Post by Kes »

I don't know in these modern times whether it's a construcive, or destructive place. Since the late nineties the world has changed.

I've gone from accessing the site 100% on a full sized computer, to doing everything on a mobile phone. Around me, people have veered away from obtaining music on physical media, to storing it digitally.

Evolution of the world, I guess.

The place was set up to advertise the sale of product, and assess interest. Talking about other things, was something that evolved, but above was the reason the band paid for it.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Well, quite. I used to be a fully paid of member of Bowienet, and that was exciting while Sailor himself would traverse the boards, interjecting here and there. I wish I had screencaps of the few times I interacted with him... closest I ever got to the Thin White Duke!

Nowadays, the forum is long gone, and the closest thing to it is a Facebook group run by the team behind Bowie's website and social media presence. It's "official" but because it's on Facebook, it has a lot more versatility than these clunky old forum builds can nowadays, even if you can almost taste your privacy being harvested as you interact.

Kes

Post by Kes »

As far as I'm aware, no member of Queen ever looks at this site, but people who talk to them do.

I guess it still is one method of access, that can, and I use the word loosely, have an effect on product.

Hutchence

Post by Hutchence »

"What question have you always wanted to ask Queen?
Record Collector magazine are interviewing the group for an upcoming Queen special edition, and want to know what questions Queen fans like you have always wanted an answer to! You can email your questions to Jamie Atkins at jamie.atkins@metropolis.co.uk, and you might get the answer you've always wanted..."

This our chance now, fellas, we can ask about the Miracle box set as well as other archival material. Mind you, there are no guarantees that the questions will be answered...

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Hutchence wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:37 pm "What question have you always wanted to ask Queen?
Record Collector magazine are interviewing the group for an upcoming Queen special edition, and want to know what questions Queen fans like you have always wanted an answer to! You can email your questions to Jamie Atkins at jamie.atkins@metropolis.co.uk, and you might get the answer you've always wanted..."

This our chance now, fellas, we can ask about the Miracle box set as well as other archival material. Mind you, there are no guarantees that the questions will be answered...
What is it Queen special edition

Kes

Post by Kes »

What it says?

A Queen special edition. Here's a thought, how many albums do you know that are just called Queen? It might mean that. The batteries have run out on my crystal ball, so I don't know.

robdeighton

Post by robdeighton »

Kes wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:26 pm As far as I'm aware, no member of Queen ever looks at this site, but people who talk to them do.

I guess it still is one method of access, that can, and I use the word loosely, have an effect on product.
And here is me thinking that John Deacon sits at his computer on a night gathering notes from this forum for possible product ideas, only to have them vetoed by Brian and Roger. :D

Kes

Post by Kes »

Really?

So, are you saying that nothing that's ever been written on QOL, has ever then been utilised for product ideas? If not, then I can only really think you possess an almost destructive level of unneccessary sarcasm.

Let's start with a trivial one. The idea of using the Hot Space brand logo for Freddie's The Great Pretender video biography, came directly from a poster's idea on QOL.