Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Topic

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Frank

Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Topic

Post by Frank »

This came up in the Hot Space topic and I'm honestly surprised nobody brought it up sooner...though for good reason, I'm sure. :P

Personally, I don't like watching the film anymore. I understand movies take creative liberties all the time, but with this film their choices had unnecessary consequences to the perception of Freddie Mercury by "passer by" fans. For example, a co-worker of mine told me that Freddie Mercury was "a real asshole" after watching the film. And how the hell did she get that idea? Well, in the movie Freddie is shown pitted against his band mates, firing John Reid while high, and apologizing for his behavior after effectively breaking the band up for two years. All of these and more are fabrications. The band, as Freddie once put it, were "four cocks fighting." It wasn't him vs the band. They were all getting on each other's nerves, particularly in the time period depicted in the movie. John Reid was not fired by Freddie. And for fuck's sake, the band didn't break up for two years because Freddie decided to go solo without the consent of the rest of the band. What the hell?

Simply put, the movie was an over simplification of the band and does not reflect the four brothers I grew to love and appreciate. It is essentially a good (being generous) film about a rock band. Not Queen.

Thoughts?

Ray

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Topic

Post by Ray »

Ah, here it is again...the years old, endless movie topic. :D

I think there is nothing that hasn't been said about that movie already. Some like it, some don't. I enjoy it for what it is and I don't care if some people who aren't really interested in the band come to wrong conclusions through the movie. Most movies depict persons or certain things not 100% accurate and if people believe everything shown in a movie, that tells me more about them than about the movie. Thanks to the unexpected huge success it made Queen more current than ever since 91 again, so many people discovered the great music and Freddie couldn't be more of a legend now.

Mona Lisa

Post by Mona Lisa »

It was an exciting movie. Watched it 3 times in cinemas :lol: :lol:
As for the critics....
As would say Roger...
Sod 'em
No I'm joking, but honestly I was 100% happy with the movie.
I was perfectly counscious that there was no way that I would see the real Freddie.
But I think it's all about the music.
It was fun, it brought Queen to a much wider audience, and now we can enjoy how even bigger they became thanks to the movie.
It had the benefit to show to the new fans how incredible Freddie was, especially to the fans of the Q+AL shows who discovered Queen with QAL.
I think it's not a bad thing to go out of the accurate timeline.
It's like when you interview someone and then you cut his answers and make a story on its own for other purposes.
People will always find out what was the real story.
Anyway you can't put real life on the screen - way too trashy (in my opinion).
I think it helped broaden the legend and insuring a future - commercial future , and bringing new fans.

I don't know what made this movie so addictive - but I would well continue to see it in cinemas if it was possible. Maybe because it was .... an incredible movie?

I'm curious about the opinions of people who didn't know anything about Queen.
I think it would even help to not know anything about Queen.
Because the more you knew, the more you would notice the inaccuraties; but as an obsessed Queen fan, I didn't care for 2 cents.

Edit: Ray, you made the same conclusion as me in a better, shorter way :D
Last edited by Mona Lisa on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Ray wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:06 pm Ah, here it is again...the years old, endless movie topic. :D
I feel guilty for being the one to bring it up. Lol

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Frank wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:51 pm This came up in the Hot Space topic and I'm honestly surprised nobody brought it up sooner...though for good reason, I'm sure. :P

Personally, I don't like watching the film anymore. I understand movies take creative liberties all the time, but with this film their choices had unnecessary consequences to the perception of Freddie Mercury by "passer by" fans. For example, a co-worker of mine told me that Freddie Mercury was "a real asshole" after watching the film. And how the hell did she get that idea? Well, in the movie Freddie is shown pitted against his band mates, firing John Reid while high, and apologizing for his behavior after effectively breaking the band up for two years. All of these and more are fabrications. The band, as Freddie once put it, were "four cocks fighting." It wasn't him vs the band. They were all getting on each other's nerves, particularly in the time period depicted in the movie. John Reid was not fired by Freddie. And for fuck's sake, the band didn't break up for two years because Freddie decided to go solo without the consent of the rest of the band. What the hell?

Simply put, the movie was an over simplification of the band and does not reflect the four brothers I grew to love and appreciate. It is essentially a good (being generous) film about a rock band. Not Queen.

Thoughts?
I do not watch it anymore. I honestly thought I would have been obsessed with it and given it a regular viewing, but I find it a bit dull and cheesy. There is nothing in the film which offends me and I do not think it painted Fred in a bad light - I can see why they did what they did in the time they had. I just find it...well...a bit meh.

Personally, I believe this film was Queen's attempt at getting the USA back. And it has worked. Also, the amount of new young fans the film has brought in is wonderful. So as a vehicle to promote this little old group and extend their legacy, it has done its job very, very well - I cannot recall a time in which the band were so loved and respected, etc. As a biopic though? Very substandard.

ogre t raylot

Post by ogre t raylot »

It’s bad in an ‘Ed Wood’ way – The plot, script and acting are beyond risible. There are several scenes which are pure wish fulfillment for Brian and Roger (having fishbowl Freddie beg for forgiveness)
That said, I’ve watched this movie numerous times – mainly to laugh at how bad Rami Malik looks and sounds. How that portrayal garnered such praise is beyond me.
It certainly raised the band’s profile again, even though the movie is/was a generic success story with a ‘will they/can they’ plot ‘twist’ – it could have been any band’s story, they just used a ‘Queen skin’ to sell it to the masses.

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

ogre t raylot wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:13 pm It’s bad in an ‘Ed Wood’ way – The plot, script and acting are beyond risible. There are several scenes which are pure wish fulfillment for Brian and Roger (having fishbowl Freddie beg for forgiveness)
That said, I’ve watched this movie numerous times – mainly to laugh at how bad Rami Malik looks and sounds. How that portrayal garnered such praise is beyond me.
It certainly raised the band’s profile again, even though the movie is/was a generic success story with a ‘will they/can they’ plot ‘twist’ – it could have been any band’s story, they just used a ‘Queen skin’ to sell it to the masses.
Personally, I disagree about the acting - I think, on the whole, it was fantastic - especially the beautiful English rose - Lucy Boynton, Rami and Gwilym Lee.

Rami was a wonder. I adore the bloke.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Frank wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:16 pm
Ray wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:06 pm Ah, here it is again...the years old, endless movie topic. :D
I feel guilty for being the one to bring it up. Lol
Haha, don't worry. I'm actually surprised there wasn't a thread already.

I think the true star of the movie is the music after all...and that's why it became a huge success. You can think about the story and acting what you want, but in the end everybody loved the music and with so many new and young fans it just shows how timeless all those songs are. Not that their music wasn't popular before the movie came out, but the movie drew the attention to it more than anything else since Freddie.

The movie is like a "fan generator" more than anything else and will continue to work that way in the future since it's been such a success and won't be forgotten as a music movie. Everybody who is somehow interested in Queen will check it out sooner or later and probably end up watching Live Aid on Youtube, their concerts in general and checking out more songs. That's a pretty cool "thing" for a band to have and really great for their legacy.

Many great bands can become forgotten over time...look at ELO f.e....hugely successful in the 70s and 80s, then they disbanded and kinda vanished...the 2001 "Zoom" album didn't do well either and the planned tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Then they played at some big festivals since 2014 that got them a lot of new fans and they toured again and released two albums since. They even had their biggest gig ever at Wembley stadium in 2017. If it wasn't for what happened since 2014, probably nobody would be talking about them today, at least no younger people.

That's why things like the musical, QPR, QAL and the movie are all good for Queen music - you don't have to like those projects, but they all kept the music of the band way more alive than it would be without all this. And I rather have people listening to Queen in 2020 than some other crap. ;)

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

Congratulations, Frank, you're now thinking what I was thinking the one time I watched it!

Frank

Post by Frank »

Generic username wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:09 pm Congratulations, Frank, you're now thinking what I was thinking the one time I watched it!
My opinion shifted.. .when I first saw it I loved it and was forgiving ....but then I got bitter the more I thought about it.

I still acknowledge that the movie brought in more fans and those fans will probably learn the truth. I guess in a selfish way I wanted something different. Something closer to the heart.