Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Topic

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Ray

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Topic

Post by Ray »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:34 pm
Nobody argues that the film made Freddie even more popular but what about his orientation? in every documentary he was gay. Really? They wanted to say that his orientation made his famous,Not his voice, charisma or his talant only that he was gay?
Really? Freddie? Lol, everybody who ever heard a Queen song instantly knows he was an amazing singer, he isn't one of the most popular ever today for no reason. Don't know what documentaries you've seen, but from what I've seen many "TV-made" documentaries are not that well researched anyway, no matter what topic.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Old Man wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:26 pm
Sir Didymus wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:02 pm
And then to deliberately throw in his HIV diagnosis early to give the film a bit of extra narrative weight to justify an extended 15 minute music only ending... no. That totally cheapen what he and so many others went through. That scene with the AIDS patient giving him a "Day-oh" in the clinic didn't show solidarity, but hammered home the point that they just fucked his story up.
What do you - or better - what do we really know about the real timeline of events? "Queen" were never open about too much detail, neither about their recordings nor about any private things. Many "details" they told to countless journalists over the years do not really fit together.

Very interesting is a recent german book called "The story behind the Song Vol 5". It's a series of books from a very good and serious radio journalist. In that book Brian May tells the story behind "Who wants to live forever". He goes deep into details of the movie and how the song started it's life while he was being driven home by Jim Beach. There he sang first bits into his tape recorder. And then May says the following: "The funny thing is you write from inside. And inside me I was dealing with the break up of my marriage, I was dealing with possibly losing Freddie, dealing with the death of my dad, so I think that all that worked it's way into the song."

The "experts" among you will surely say now, that May's father died in 91, his marriage ended 1988 and Freddie was diagnosed in 87. And the song was released already in 1986. So he doesn't even know his own timeline?
Who are we to tell him in what running order he lived? And who are we to demand the right to know the truth - if there is any? Considering what they all went through, they cannot remember every detail and there is definitely no mean intention, when they mix up things.

And about Freddie's private life it should not be forgotten, that the movie was intended not "for adults only". And it's already rated PG-13.

Like it or not - the movie was a huge success and made Freddie Mercury bigger than he ever was during his lifetime. He has more media presence today than in the 70s and 80s. In his lifetime he was - with the exception of the videos and concerts - "The invisible Man".
Can I ask you a personal question, Old Man? (I can't say that without thinking of A Touch of Cloth, for what it's worth...)

Are you a member of the LGBTQAI+ community? Or are you heterosexual? You don't have to answer me, or go public about your personal life - it's a rhetorical question, here.

Because the thing is... it's very, very simple.

If a black person tells you something is racist, and you're white, then you need to acknowledge their opinion holds more weight than yours, and it probably is racist, even if you can't see it, because they're living with racism on a constant basis.

If a woman tells you something is sexist, and you're a man, then you need to acknowledge their opinion holds more weight than yours, and it probably is sexist, even if you can't see it, because they're living with sexism on a constant basis.

If a person with a disability tells you something is ableist, and you don't have a disability, then you need to acknowledge their opinion holds more weight than yours, and it probably is ableist, even if you can't see it, because they're living with ablism on a constant basis.

You've probably guessed what's coming. But I'm a queer person, telling you that myself and a large portion of other queer people, have taken issue with the film Bohemian Rhapsody for the way it handled the issue of Freddie's sexuality and his HIV diagnosis in a manner which a great number of people in the LGBTQAI+ community found to be highly problematic, although most admit that it was clearly unintentional on the part of the filmmakers.

Now, I ask you again, rhetorically if you wish - are you straight? Cos if that's the case, maybe don't give me a lecture about your re-interpretation of the facts - and just take in the home truths a little.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

PS. Don't just take my word for it - do some research. Here's the mainstream press:

Billboard: Freddie Mercury & Bisexuality: Why 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Struggled To Tell the Rocker's True Story
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news ... sody-queen

IndieWire: 'Bohemian Rhapsody’ Doesn’t Straightwash, but It’s Confused About Freddie Mercury’s Sexuality
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/bohem ... 202017372/

Vox: Bohemian Rhapsody loves Freddie Mercury’s voice. It fears his queerness.
https://www.vox.com/2018/11/16/18071460 ... loset-aids

CBC Canada: An open letter to the many fans of Bohemian Rhapsody from a concerned queer
https://www.cbc.ca/arts/an-open-letter- ... -1.4892284

And here's some articles from the LGTBQAI+ press and community:

Pride: How Bohemian Rhapsody Sterilized Freddie Mercury's Bisexuality
https://www.pride.com/movies/2018/10/24 ... isexuality

Bi.org: The Unicorn Scale: Bohemian Rhapsody
https://bi.org/en/articles/the-unicorn- ... n-rhapsody

Equal Eyes: Why 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Struggled To Tell the Rocker's True Story
https://equal-eyes.org/database/2018/11 ... true-story

Out: Is 'Bohemian Rhapsody,' the Biggest Gay Film in History, Actually Gay?
https://equal-eyes.org/database/2018/11 ... true-story

Pink News: Bohemian Rhapsody criticised for straight-washing by American Gods’ Bryan Fuller
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/05/16/b ... an-fuller/

That was all literally 30 seconds of Googling away. :?

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Sir Didymus wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:16 pm
Now, I ask you again, rhetorically if you wish - are you straight? Cos if that's the case, maybe don't give me a lecture about your re-interpretation of the facts - and just take in the home truths a little.
It's quite strange. I just wrote about the difficulty of dealing with facts, when even the ones, who were really there, mix up the running order of events in their lives. I also tried to explain, that "they" wanted the movie to be "family friendly". This movie is about "them" - not about YOU.

So why do you tell me things like "If a black person tells you something is racist, and you're white, then you need to acknowledge their opinion holds more weight than yours, and it probably is racist, even if you can't see it, because they're living with racism on a constant basis."?

If you feel offended by that movie, feel free to do so. But I did not write anything, that allows you to accuse me of that kind of ignorance.

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

There's enough corroborating evidence to suggest with some weight that Freddie was diagnosed no earlier than 1986. If you want to bend that to defend a dogshit movie to change the subject away from legitimate concerns around the movie's handling of queer issues, that's on you.

Of course its not about me. Never said it was. Its about doing Freddie's life justice. They may have put him back in the limelight but they portrayed him in a very negative light doing so, and used him to - consciously or unconsciously - further prejudiced views about LGBTQAI+ people and in particular people living with HIV today.

Every time mainstream media projects the image of gay men being selfish fuckmachines who ignored the safety warnings for carnal delights, they leave out the nuance and there is a correlation to the stigma that people still have to live with.

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Sir Didymus wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:55 am There's enough corroborating evidence to suggest with some weight that Freddie was diagnosed no earlier than 1986. If you want to bend that to defend a dogshit movie to change the subject away from legitimate concerns around the movie's handling of queer issues, that's on you.

Of course its not about me. Never said it was. Its about doing Freddie's life justice. They may have put him back in the limelight but they portrayed him in a very negative light doing so, and used him to - consciously or unconsciously - further prejudiced views about LGBTQAI+ people and in particular people living with HIV today.

Every time mainstream media projects the image of gay men being selfish fuckmachines who ignored the safety warnings for carnal delights, they leave out the nuance and there is a correlation to the stigma that people still have to live with.
There is much talk about these issues on Twitter, etc. People arguing over and over about the film and their personal perceptions of it.

I did not see any negative take on his character to do with his sexuality. For me, the film was simply saying that he was going off the rails a little with his lifestyle in general.

Also, I see many - especially younger, newer - fans saying it whitewashed his sexuality also. I think the film got the balance spot on: A man who was no spokesperson for gay rights and never went out of his way to talk about it should be portrayed as such.

I am not saying the film was perfect at all. It had some whopping flaws (not least the cheesy script); but it has done its job more than anyone could have dreamed; Fred and Queen have never been bigger or more beloved. It cannot have been that harmful to the man.

Newearthmud

Post by Newearthmud »

If you want to learn about Queen history go watch one of the MANY documentaries out there. This is a movie adaptation that delivers the emotional spirit of what happened like any other movie adaptation in history. Taking issue with things happening in wrong order means you were destined to hate it since before production began because it would never have been presented like that. A flowing narrative is required to make a cohesive movie. The movie was so successful not just because it was about Queen but because it created it's own flow of the story and that was ALWAYS going to be the plan. Movies are to make money, not pander to people with the inability allow use of metaphoric narrative so that as much of the story can be captured as possible. The important points of Queen history were captured and put into a movie that was both enjoyable and heart wrenching coupled with performances that were out of this world. As a move biopic it is as close to perfect as we will ever see.

Dave

Post by Dave »

This film is terrible and disrespectful to Freddie Mercury.

Newearthmud

Post by Newearthmud »

Which parts do you believe to be disrespectful?

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Newearthmud wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:50 am Which parts do you believe to be disrespectful?
The way Freddie was portrayed in particular.