Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Topic

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
MusicalProstitute

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Topic

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Dave wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:35 pm This film is terrible and disrespectful to Freddie Mercury.
I just do not see this perceived 'disrespect' at all. I think they got the balance just right. If they had have banged on about his sexuality, they would have been accused of playing the LGBTQ card - and, worse, they would have lied about the man. He never went out of his way to speak about his sexuality over the years and was never any spokesperson for gay rights, etc.

Dave

Post by Dave »

MusicalProstitute wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:34 am
Dave wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:35 pm This film is terrible and disrespectful to Freddie Mercury.
I just do not see this perceived 'disrespect' at all. I think they got the balance just right. If they had have banged on about his sexuality, they would have been accused of playing the LGBTQ card - and, worse, they would have lied about the man. He never went out of his way to speak about his sexuality over the years and was never any spokesperson for gay rights, etc.
I'm not talking about the gay thing, more about him leaving the group and begging them to take him back. I don't know how Brian and Roger could sit through that. Also the way he insults John when asking about his degree.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Dave wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:49 am
I'm not talking about the gay thing, more about him leaving the group and begging them to take him back. I dron't know how Brian and Roger could sit through that. Also the way he insults John when asking about his degree.
I remember that Brian was asked about this scene. He said that this did happen. Of course not before Live Aid, since the timeline in the movie is a bit chaotic. Brian didn’t go into further detail, but I was surprised, when I heard him say that.

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Dave wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:49 am
I'm not talking about the gay thing, more about him leaving the group and begging them to take him back. I don't know how Brian and Roger could sit through that. Also the way he insults John when asking about his degree.
Yeah, I get what you mean about those scenes. But I just think they were trying to be honest about his character and how he could be a right diva at times. And the film was more about him than them. I don't think they were being dishonest though.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Dave wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:49 am I'm not talking about the gay thing, more about him leaving the group and begging them to take him back. I don't know how Brian and Roger could sit through that. Also the way he insults John when asking about his degree.
You seem to be more sensible than John and probably Freddie were in reality.
I think this story about "him leaving the group and begging them to take him back" has some truth behind. My guess is the "Mr. Bad Guy" period. Mercury wrote on his album "Special thanks to Brian, Roger and John for not interfering". According to Brian May that was far from the truth. And the fact, that Mercury told Paul Vincent (who passed away in 2016) to imitate Brian May on "Let's turn it on" and "Man made Paradise" was always an issue for May. It was a bit like Freddie trying to show, that he doesn't need the others and can easily replace them.
If the album had been a success, this might have been the end of "Queen". When it turned out to be a "flop", Mercury "returned" to the band - they may not have welcomed him with open arms.......So that may be the reason behind this storyline.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I remember talking to Jacky from the fan club, just after Freddie died, about how Mr Bad Guy came to be on CBS, and how subsequently Barcelona went to Polydor, and his further solo singles reverted to EMI labels.

She mentioned a number of factors in why this happened. When Freddie was initially starting to work on a solo album, just after he did Love Kills (which because the Metropolis soundtrack was on CBS, the single got issued on that label), the management, ie Jim Beach, talked to EMI about Freddie's solo work, and they were adamant that it would be publicised as "Freddie Mercury - Queen's lead singer". Fred wasn't best keen on this idea, and asked Jim to see what other offers he could get. CBS were quite keen because of the success of Love Kills, and offered an advance on two albums, that greatly exceeded EMI's recent offer for the band for four albums. So, that bit of the movie pretty much rang true, as I think Freddie used this to flex his muscles within the group setting.

Obviously, MBG didn't exactly sell well, and CBS lost out big time. When Freddie then suggested the second album he would provide, would be a duet album with an opera singer, they told him they would not release it, and to go elsewhere. Jim Beach then signed a one album deal with Polydor, who released Barcelona, and it's singles.

After this, Freddie and EMI came back together, and his subsequent solo stuff came out on EMI labels. As Freddie's various companies owned the sound recordings, as the earlier stuff progressively came out of the contract periods, EMI (and Queen's American label Hollywood) picked up the releases for those projects.

There's a better than fair chance that in that period just after Mr Bad Guy, that Freddie suddenly realised what he later quoted that Queen was bigger than the sum of it's four parts, was indeed the truth, and that maybe he should treat the others with a bit more respect.

Newearthmud

Post by Newearthmud »

TheMiracleMan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:01 am
Newearthmud wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:50 am Which parts do you believe to be disrespectful?
The way Freddie was portrayed in particular.
It might be disrespectful to your own internal vision of the great man, but it is not disrespectful to who he was. Not having a go here, but it is important to point out your opinion is in the vast minority. It is not easy to capture any persons entire life in a two hour biopic and what was created captured the emotional spirit, high, lows and struggles in beautiful way. I had an emotional investment in the film like you obviously did but definitely came out on the other side of the fence at the end. Each to their own bud.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

There was a repeat of an interview with Brian from 2018 on Johnnie Walkers Sounds of the Seventies show. Brian was asked about the big where the film's suggests the split. Brian was adamant that it was true despite the recent Works tours.

Then didn't he recently claim Queen were looking at playing Wembley in the summer 1985? Talk about confused.com

FunnyHowLoveIs

Bohemian Rhapsody, The Movie...

Post by FunnyHowLoveIs »

Well, ya, Oscar nominated for best picture and Oscar winner for best actor.

I liked it BUT..there is a few things I hope to point out.

Why does Freddie have a mustache while making the song "We Will Rock You" as a demo?
Why is 1978's "Fat Bottomed Girls" used out of sync with the bands first tour of America 1974? "Now I'm Here" is a better choice.
Why no mention of Wreckage of IBEX?
How is it Wikipedia and the extremely long well thought out story about Queen, states Freddie did not get diagnosed with HIV until 1987 but the movie makes it 1985?
The man whom portrayed Borat, Shasha Cohen could have done better, and he looked more like Freddie than Malik.
Is the original film online with Cohen portraying Freddie?
How come "Another One Bites The Dust" is first before "We Will Rock You"? Anyone that knows Queen knows the two songs came out years apart and WWRY was first.

Sorry Brian and Roger but the excuse that the first script and Cohen would not be taken seriously doesn't fly with me.

Cohen could have taken best actor and I'll wager had the movie been more factually correct, you'd have taken best picture too.

But I did like it.

Funny

rpt81

Post by rpt81 »

Just dawned on me that it's about to hit two years since the movie was in the cinema. Where has that time gone?

Still disappointed about the lack of deleted scenes and a commentary from Dexter Fletcher on the home release, though I imagine there could well be a lot of NDAs holding back the latter (and generally holding back a lot of information regarding the making of the movie). I'm guessing Disney hold the distribution rights to the movie now, following the Fox takeover?