Freddie’s 2019 “Special” editions

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
The Invisible Fan

Freddie’s 2019 “Special” editions

Post by The Invisible Fan »

Hi everyone! I’m listening to Mr. Bad Guy right now, and I’ve already had the idea of hearing it, autotune. ‘My love is dangerou^s’, so the second time he sings it he adds some high notes. In my opinion, when you listen to it, it’s evident ‘they’ have used autotune. So they should have called it ‘crapped up’ instead of ‘SPECIAL’. Autotuning Freddie is like adding Ketchup to a perfectly-prepared Spaghetti.

Old Man

Re: Freddie’s 2019 “Special” editions

Post by Old Man »

It makes sense to remix records from the 60s and early 70s, when the sound suffers from the the technical limitations of the times. "The Beatles" are a great example, how fresh albums like "Sgt Pepper" or single songs like "Hey Bulldog" can sound, when they are freed from the left-right stereo.

When it comes to Queen, it would make sense to remix some of the 70s albums like 1, 2 and Jazz. Everything else is quite pointless, and that goes for most every artist's recordings from the mid-seventies onwards, cause by then stereo recordings had a high level, that has not been bettered since.

Remixing Freddie's "Bad Guy" doesn't make sense at all. The recorded sound was always good. The sound of the drum machines and synthesizers is exactly, what the artist wanted. And to use autotune and even change his performance is a "sacrilege". Some years ago Bowie's "Never let me down" from 1987 was also "reworked" by exchanging the backing tracks. The album is one of his worst, Bowie himself didn't like it. The new version sounds less like "80s", but the songs didn't get any better. Great music lives from the interaction between instruments and the vocals. If vocals are copied onto another backing track, there is no more interaction. It may be technically perfect, but the interaction is missing.

Same goes for "Barcelona". The idea of exchanging the synths with a real orchestra sounded promising. But the result was also pretty disappointing. It sounded lifeless...

Sir Didymus

Post by Sir Didymus »

Old Man wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:41 am
It makes sense to remix records from the 60s and early 70s, when the sound suffers from the the technical limitations of the times. "The Beatles" are a great example, how fresh albums like "Sgt Pepper" or single songs like "Hey Bulldog" can sound, when they are freed from the left-right stereo.

When it comes to Queen, it would make sense to remix some of the 70s albums like 1, 2 and Jazz. Everything else is quite pointless, and that goes for most every artist's recordings from the mid-seventies onwards, cause by then stereo recordings had a high level, that has not been bettered since.

Remixing Freddie's "Bad Guy" doesn't make sense at all. The recorded sound was always good. The sound of the drum machines and synthesizers is exactly, what the artist wanted. And to use autotune and even change his performance is a "sacrilege". Some years ago Bowie's "Never let me down" from 1987 was also "reworked" by exchanging the backing tracks. The album is one of his worst, Bowie himself didn't like it. The new version sounds less like "80s", but the songs didn't get any better. Great music lives from the interaction between instruments and the vocals. If vocals are copied onto another backing track, there is no more interaction. It may be technically perfect, but the interaction is missing.

Same goes for "Barcelona". The idea of exchanging the synths with a real orchestra sounded promising. But the result was also pretty disappointing. It sounded lifeless...
Couldn't disagree more. NLMD, MBG and Barcelona were all improved by their new versions imho. As were Let It Be Naked and Double Fantasy Stripped Down.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Sir Didymus wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:41 pm

Couldn't disagree more. NLMD, MBG and Barcelona were all improved by their new versions imho. As were Let It Be Naked and Double Fantasy Stripped Down.
I think we can agree to disagree.

When you say, "MBG and Barcelona were all improved by their new versions", you mean that Freddie Mercury was unable to deliver a perfect product ? That any stranger can do better?
I wonder, why Mike Moran was not involved in the "Barcelona"-remake. I think it was a conscious decision in 87 to use synthesizers instead of a real orchestra. "Queen" have used orchestras before, so Mercury could have done it then. I don't believe the story, that this is "finally the album it should have been". It was an attempt to sell a successful product for a second time...even bringing in David Garrett....

In case of "Let it be naked" it should be noted, that it was Paul McCartney's idea to create a new "Let it be"-album, that goes back to the original concept of the "Get back/Let it be" project. Listen to the countless "Get back"-bootlegs. It was supposed to be a "live in the studio"-album without any overdubs. When the Beatles fell apart, Phil Spector was brought in and added choirs and strings. McCartney never liked that. So all this was removed, different takes were used - and nothing was added by "strangers". The result was very interesting - but had no more live atmosphere. Listen to the original Glyn Johns versions of "Get Back" - still the best way to listen to that chapter in Beatles history.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

And in my opinion, Mr. Bad Guy 2019 version sounds fresh, and more voluminous.
I agree that the orchestral version of the Barcelona album sounds too correct in terms of the accompaniment. All passion and feelings in the music are gone.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

I very much prefer these versions, they made music which was sounding old and dated to something which sounded fresh and modern which I think is great. The sound on the original is crap or at least is now because of the dryness.

I don't think Freddie could've done much about it at the time because it was the conditions recorded in and technology was inferior compared to now. Every old album needs remastering now but Mr Bad Guy needed something more and it was worth the effort in my opinion. It would be great if Hot Space had the treatment.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Young Music Fan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:19 am
I very much prefer these versions, they made music which was sounding old and dated to something which sounded fresh and modern which I think is great. The sound on the original is crap or at least is now because of the dryness.

I don't think Freddie could've done much about it at the time because it was the conditions recorded in and technology was inferior compared to now. Every old album needs remastering now but Mr Bad Guy needed something more and it was worth the effort in my opinion. It would be great if Hot Space had the treatment.
In my humble opinion, Hot Space doesn't need remastering or mixing. For Albums from 1973 to 1978 would be nice to make a mix

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Young Music Fan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:19 am

I don't know when you were born. But since the late 70s bands like Fleetwood Mac already recorded digitally. And even before bands like Supertramp or Pink Floyd made perfect use of the analogue studios. In 1985 Dire Straits recorded "Brothers in Arms", one of the best sounding albums ever, that also started the CD age.
Since the mid-70s there were no limitations for sound anymore. If Freddie's 80s albums sounded dry or whatever, that was exactly the way he wanted it. He could have had any other sound, as everything was possible then.

Young Music Fan

TheMiracleMan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:22 am
In my humble opinion, Hot Space doesn't need remastering or mixing. For Albums from 1973 to 1978 would be nice to make a mix
Not every song on Hot Space needs the treatment but certainly on songs like Staying Power would benefit. Even Under Pressure could do with a new special mix because as to what I've read, neither Queen or David Bowie were happy with it.

But I can't deny the first two albums need help. The sound on them in my opinion needs to be as fresh as A Day At The Races, probably the best sounding Queen album, to make them even more popular. I used to rank Queen II in my top 3 but it doesn't now almost certainly because of the tired sound.

Young Music Fan

Old Man wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:48 pm
I don't know when you were born. But since the late 70s bands like Fleetwood Mac already recorded digitally. And even before bands like Supertramp or Pink Floyd made perfect use of the analogue studios. In 1985 Dire Straits recorded "Brothers in Arms", one of the best sounding albums ever, that also started the CD age.
Since the mid-70s there were no limitations for sound anymore. If Freddie's 80s albums sounded dry or whatever, that was exactly the way he wanted it. He could have had any other sound, as everything was possible then.
2001 so I'm used to really fresh, modern sounding things. Probably part of the reason why A Day At The Races is my favourite Queen album.

I don't think making albums sound dry is desirable especially now. That's why the group especially Brian and Roger dismissed the first album e.g. Roger hated the drum sound due to the lack of depth.