Freddie’s 2019 “Special” editions

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
TheMiracleMan

Re: Freddie’s 2019 “Special” editions

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Leigh Burne wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:10 am I think the whole "would Freddie approve of the remix" argument is ultimately irrelevant.

The new version sounds so much better. The original was a half-decent collection of songs almost entirely ruined by terrible production. At the end of the day, whether the new version is what Freddie would've wanted doesn't mean much compared to my listening enjoyment.

I like to think he'd be happy to see the album getting a new lease of life, but who really knows.
I agree with you.
Jim Beach says that Freddie wasn't happy with his album. I wonder why. Is the sound quality to blame or the quality of the songs? Who knows?

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

What role did Barbara Valentine play in Freddie's life I am asking this because her name was written in the "special thanks to" his solo album?

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

I believe Freddie was in a relationship with her at the time.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

Leigh Burne wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 am I believe Freddie was in a relationship with her at the time.
everybody believes.

MusicalProstitute

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Leigh Burne wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 am I believe Freddie was in a relationship with her at the time.
Yeah, there was definitely something going on between them - although how deep that went none us can really say. I know Rudi has stated he saw them disappear into their bedroom a little 'drunk' more than once; but that does not mean they were lovers obviously. They certainly had a close connection though.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Leigh Burne wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:10 am I think the whole "would Freddie approve of the remix" argument is ultimately irrelevant.

The new version sounds so much better. The original was a half-decent collection of songs almost entirely ruined by terrible production. At the end of the day, whether the new version is what Freddie would've wanted doesn't mean much compared to my listening enjoyment.

I like to think he'd be happy to see the album getting a new lease of life, but who really knows.
Excerpt from "Reinhold Mack working with Freddie Mercury"

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/ ... interview/

The Mr Bad Guy album was a labour of love, taking nearly two years to complete. Mercury wrote all 11 songs on it, sang the vocals, played piano and synthesiser, arranged the orchestration and worked painstakingly with Mack to obtain the sound he wanted.

“The songs are not trying to be anything but Freddie”
Mack used a variety of local Munich session musicians to play alongside Mercury, including drummer Curt Cress, guitarist Paul Vincent Gunia and bass player Stefan Wissnet. They were also joined by Canadian-born rhythm guitarist and synthesiser player Fred Mandel.

“I picked the musicians for whatever we needed,” says Mack. “For a time, Fred Mandel came over. He was a very good player. The others were local studio guys that I knew who were reliable and who could execute and translate what needed to be done. There were no notes or anything written down, so you have to rely on people’s imagination. ‘Can you play that in a funky style, or whatever needs to be done?’ Freddie would ask. Freddie was really fond of the musicians. The studio guys don’t really talk back. You give them an idea and they make the best of it. Or you tell them that this is good but I’d rather like it this way or leave it out and just do it. He really enjoyed that and the guys were really good, so what’s not to like?”

Mack says he is still proud of Mr Bad Guy, adding “I really like ‘Let’s Turn It On’ – but then I like all of the tracks on the album. The songs are not trying to be anything else but Freddie. A lot of people were expecting Freddie to be catering to the audience. He didn’t want that. He just wanted the songs as they are. I didn’t try to get involved in the mixing, because he may not have wanted a lot of new ideas at that stage. It was already great and I would not want to have gone in and made changes for the sake of it, like someone painting a nose on a Rembrandt portrait at the very end.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

I fail to see how that addresses my point.

Old Man

Post by Old Man »

Leigh Burne wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 am I fail to see how that addresses my point.
Your message was the last about that discussion before Barbara Valentin came in between.
And you called the discussion about changing an artist's work as irrelevant, cause you like the result. Feel free to do so.
But this interview shows - not only for you - that Mercury knew exactly what he wanted, when he produced and mixed the original.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Old Man wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:24 pmBut this interview shows - not only for you - that Mercury knew exactly what he wanted, when he produced and mixed the original.
Not really.

All it proves is that Mack didn't want to interfere in the final mix.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Generally, I'd say there's not too much wrong with the writing on the album. I don't really think there's many that would have been out of place winding up on a Queen album.

Just about every problem I can find with the tracks on it, involve the songs' arrangement and production.

I think the sound team did about as good a job as they could do at bringing it up to date, without completely recording new tracking, or doing a repeat of the sometimes terrible ideas featured on most tracks of the 1992 Freddie Mercury Album.