50th Anniversary

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Ray

Re: 50th Anniversary

Post by Ray »

BluePowderMonkey wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:53 pm
cliff wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:01 amThis has really made me think about my collecting if this is what it has come to, maybe I should sell my whole collection - I could probably retire off the proceeds :lol:
Why not do that? I did that and went on a nice holiday and bought a really nice watch with the proceeds.

I do accept everyone is different, as the last poster said, but it's kind of nice when a collector re-evaluates their collection (of anything) and wonders what possible use it is to anyone? I guess I am like one of those awful ex-smokers who likes to see others quit! :D

I don't know why I personally ever collected Queen, the only reason I can see for it now was to say to another collector or another Queen fan 'Oh, I have that', but those instances were very small and not particularly interesting. I really loved the holiday and I still love the watch! :) Not sure I made any money in profit though!
I did that once - selling most of my collection. Though not from Queen, but a different band. I remember though why I collected it all...because it was fun and I liked getting all that stuff. If you love some band, you sometimes just want to have as much as possible from them. I don't regret the collecting at all, I'm happy that I had all those things for some years and photos of the collection still remind me anytime I want to see it again.

But I didn't need to keep it forever and was happy to give it to other fans of that band. Win-win situation for everyone. Of course it's up to everybody himself if he collects and if he wants to sell it one day, but as long as people are having fun collecting, why not? I just don't like it when people collect more out of a habbit than because they really want to and get rather annoyed by "having to get" this and that new release. That makes it rather look like an addiction they can't control and don't even enjoy.

Peace Loving Guy

Post by Peace Loving Guy »

Kes wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:04 am I guess that goes back to my point that to most people, it's just a piece of pretty plastic, but to a collector, it means so much more.

The postman isn't going to know what's in a particular package, without opening every one, to and from, everybody. He wouldn't be a postman long before somebody could smell a rat.

But you raise a valid point, if it goes missing, it's just thirteen pounds to digital stores, they can just go "Oh, here's your £13 back!" But in this whole process, you've gone through hundreds of quids worth of mental trauma.

As regards "final straw", there were only 1000 straws, to start off with.

Didn’t a signed guitar go “missing” in the post once, signed by Brian and other top guitarists? People like Jimmy Page and Clapton or Mark Knopfler? Just vanished in the mail.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Probably couldn't fit it through the letterbox.

BitterTears

Post by BitterTears »

Well, they released a limited run exclusive skateboard deck to the shop, which sold out very quickly.

However, they almost immediately announced that more would be available next year and preorders would open for that shortly.

Good plan....

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Whatever happened to the talk of that first ever Queen live recording that was discovered?

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

Leigh Burne wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:31 am Whatever happened to the talk of that first ever Queen live recording that was discovered?
Last I heard Brian made a comment that Roger hadn't been happy he'd mentioned it publicly.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

WeeMann wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:51 amLast I heard Brian made a comment that Roger hadn't been happy he'd mentioned it publicly.
I guess that’s that then! Thanks.

QueenFanUSA

Post by QueenFanUSA »

Leigh Burne wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:58 am
WeeMann wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:51 amLast I heard Brian made a comment that Roger hadn't been happy he'd mentioned it publicly.
We may get more Magic Tour footage/recordings.

TheMiracleMan

Post by TheMiracleMan »

QueenFanUSA wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 pm
Leigh Burne wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:58 am
We may get more Magic Tour footage/recordings.
And also we may not get.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Wembley 86 on HD DVD please! :lol: