50th Anniversary

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Nick W
Site Admin

Re: 50th Anniversary

Post by Nick W »

Kes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:44 am There's a solution.

Put a re-run set of all four, in the store. Maybe 5000 or so. It will cut the profit margins that scalpers can charge, and hopefully, all the collectors will get one.

And no, not all Queen fans trade.
No vinyl capacity worldwide, sadly.

Of course, not ALL Queen fans trade, you know what I mean though.

Kes

Post by Kes »

I'd love any solution that stops someone from buying something at £13, and selling it within minutes at £150.

People who are going to love, cherish, and keep the things as part of a collection, are what the things were made for.

Nick W
Site Admin

Post by Nick W »

cliff wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:45 am
Kes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:34 am Oh, and congrats to anyone who got one. You beat the odds.
More like you beat the scalpers which will be much more satisfying that actually bagging a copy :lol:

Up thread you said it went straight through on line with no oversell, therefore are you saying that anyone who has a confirmation e-mail that this week they won't get a canceled e-mail later?
Correct, that is what I am told. The other reason why it might happen (and does) is if there is an issue with the customer's card or bank, something the store cant control.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Capacity in the airline trade means you don't have empty seats. But in the process, you've catered for the market.

Catering to a capacity is what the game is all about.

You wouldn't expect a place that can cater for 5000, only to have 50 seats on a plane, would you?

In this case, I'd think there's more than 1000 Queen fans who would buy the product. Ten times, twenty times?

Kes

Post by Kes »

I guess the way to gauge it, is ask the store how many people "tried" to order it, and then factor in how many people would have tried to buy it in the next seven days.

Kes

Post by Kes »

To some people, it's just a piece of plastic, that you might or might not make money out of.

To a collector, it's so much more.

You've got tracks you can pick up for twenty-thirty quid on the associated CDs. There's nothing new here.

In some people's minds, they'll be saying "These collectors are nuts!"

Yes, they are nuts.

Newearthmud

Post by Newearthmud »

A big factor here can be the speed of your internet connection. Super fast broadband will definitely give a slight edge when buying something that sells out in less then 10 seconds. Very glad to hear there was no oversell this time. I've been lucky enough to get both so far which means if miss our on both or either of the next two I will definitely be contributing to scalpers profit in a desperate effort to complete the set. Really hope that does not happen though.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The prices scalpers are charging, are based completely on supply and demand. If they can charge ten times as much, and get it, the item was under-supplied at approximately 10%.

Personally, I'd sooner the artists were making that extra money, not people out to exploit other people. Buying and selling records is one thing, 1000% profiteering is a whole different story.

Record Store Day, I guess feels a fairer system, where if you want something that badly, you'll be there at four in the morning, in the pissing rain.

Newearthmud

Post by Newearthmud »

There is a copy of the Freddie single ending in 2 hours which is up at £245 with 9 bids! That is just bonkers.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Supply and demand.

If it was Mr Bobby on a pink picture disc, they'd probably have to pay people to take it off their hands.