50th Anniversary

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Kes

Re: 50th Anniversary

Post by Kes »

There's various things that up the ante.

Having You Take My Breath Away on a 7" for the first time. That'll matter to some.

Kes

Post by Kes »

The earlier point about the Store doing a re-run of a few thousand, an announcement would instantly knock the arse out of the resale market. The price would drop like crazy.

Generic username

Post by Generic username »

The basic economics of a release like this are inescapable.

So, in search if a better idea...what was the intended purpose? Driving footfall into the store? More press? I'd argue neither of those have worked when there's no incremental press over and above the store opening in the first place, and putting a proportion online exposes failings in the underlying system.

Personally, if they're an instore exclusive, don't sell them online (and that's not self interest, I have more chance of getting one online than getting to London on a Friday morning)

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

I might do a day trip to London to visit the store. Not sure what I would buy though.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Someone on the radio was on about visiting the store the other day.

The summary was, bring plenty of cash because nothing's cheap.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Leigh Burne wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:32 pm Someone on the radio was on about visiting the store the other day.

The summary was, bring plenty of cash because nothing's cheap.
I went through a spell a few years ago grabbing stuff off eBay but those days are long gone.

Nicki

Post by Nicki »

US TV celebrating 50 years of Queen with a singalong.

Flick of the Wrist

Post by Flick of the Wrist »

If anyone is thinking about heading to the store for the vinyl, don’t bother. I’m here and was told they sold out yesterday.

WeeMann

Post by WeeMann »

I saw a post on Facebook last night about someone witnessing a family of four going in, each buying two copies, then re-joining the queue to do the same again. 16 copies in one shopping trip. :evil:

Slightlymad-Again

Post by Slightlymad-Again »

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as most on here. Tried desperately to get both releases so far and failed miserably, did get the Roger one but that got cancelled.
Just a quick check on eBay and so far at least 59 copies of the Fred issue have sold at roughly a £150 average, there are currently 25 copies live.

Unless as suggested by Kes this gets a repress there's now way I will get the set, at current selling trends it would cost £400 - £500 to complete. I know there are issues with pressing vinyl at the moment but if QOL announced a re-run in the new year numbered 1001 - 5000 sold as a set of 4 for say £100 it would stop this madness immediately. All fans would be happy, scalpers would be asking less inflated prices and any profit from the new run could go to the Mercury Pheonix Trust!

Just worked out if the family who got 16 copied sold 15 at £150 they would make a profit of about £1800 including eBay fees, not bad for a mornings work!!!

Good luck to all the genuine fans getting the John issue, I think this one could be more popular than the Freddie one.