50th Anniversary

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Nick W
Site Admin

Re: 50th Anniversary

Post by Nick W »

Kes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 am Either up the quantity, or up the price to deter them from buying.
This is something we will do on future releases ie the 40th Anniversary picture discs for sure - this set was done and dusted and no more could be produced for this campaign between last week and this.

Nick W
Site Admin

Post by Nick W »

BitterTears wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 am I suppose the point of these releases is to support the shop so if they make enough to satisfy online demand, it makes it less a 'shop only' release and will drive less footfall/interest to the shop
We had a choice to either keep all in-store or split between the store and onlline, we chose to at least give people the chance online. We could have lobbed all 1000 at the Carnaby St set up.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Not too sure why you go all through the process, and on the final page that says "Your order" you get in red at the top

Product >Somebody to Love: Limited Edition Coloured 7"< is currently unavailable

If I didn't have an order placed, why did it let me get that far? It must be how quickly you pay for it.

Should probably press 5000 (or even more) of these things in future.

cliff

Post by cliff »

Nick W wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 am
Life is Real wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:04 am I had the page refreshing so had it the second it appeared, still sold out before checking out, basically it was sold out before it went live it seems, literally a second. Something fishy. Wont waste my time next week.
Nothing fishy, just MASSIVE online demand - we don't set these things up to rip people off, why would we do that? Just spoke to the store guy and it ran straight through with no oversell, it just went in seconds - Freddie's was always going to be the big one too.
Nick, I appreciate nobody purposely sets these things up to rip people off but in reality that is exactly what is happening, collectors who have every single Queen vinyl going back 50 years will obviously want to get these releases and will pay over the odds on e-bay to get them.

Just increase the limited number from the start and everyone is happy (except the scalpers of course!).

Kes

Post by Kes »

That's it, isn't it?

It makes the people who've bought everything since Keep Yourself Alive have this big red, blue, yellow and green hole in their collection.

Life is Real

Post by Life is Real »

Nick W wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 am
Life is Real wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:04 am I had the page refreshing so had it the second it appeared, still sold out before checking out, basically it was sold out before it went live it seems, literally a second. Something fishy. Wont waste my time next week.
Nothing fishy, just MASSIVE online demand - we don't set these things up to rip people off, why would we do that? Just spoke to the store guy and it ran straight through with no oversell, it just went in seconds - Freddie's was always going to be the big one too.
By fishy don't mean with the store, but scalpers using code to check out immediately, also not accusing anyone of ripping anyone off, its just a huge disappointment when you see non fans/collectors have them on ebay in seconds for 10 times the price.
Anyway off to see Roger tonight in Nottingham, so that is a far better treat later.

Kes

Post by Kes »

Oh, and congrats to anyone who got one. You beat the odds.

Nick W
Site Admin

Post by Nick W »

Once people buy something, what they do with it is their business, it's not right in some cases, of course, it's the timing that people have issues with, straight up on eBay - when is it acceptable to put something up for sale? Queen fans trade all the time of course.

It's that genuine fan level/collectors that cant be assessed, why can't a new fan who is just starting out have just as much chance to get a release as a 50-year long collector, who is to say that some of these scalpers are not HUGE fans, and taking advantage, I would like to think not, but nobody knows. Grim isn't it?

Kes

Post by Kes »

There's a solution.

Put a re-run set of all four, in the store. Maybe 5000 or so. It will cut the profit margins that scalpers can charge, and hopefully all the collectors will get one.

It's not an unrealistic concept as they did it with The Studio Collection.

And no, not all Queen fans trade.

I'd lay odds that most of the people here who bought a copy of Keep Yourself Alive, before it was deleted in 1974, have still got it.

cliff

Post by cliff »

Kes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:34 am Oh, and congrats to anyone who got one. You beat the odds.
More like you beat the scalpers which will be much more satisfying that actually bagging a copy :lol:

Up thread you said it went straight through on line with no oversell, therefore are you saying that anyone who has a confirmation e-mail that this week they won't get a canceled e-mail later?