50th Anniversary

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
eiricd

Re: 50th Anniversary

Post by eiricd »

there is the ONE song from Rio 85 that was remixed/remastered for the 2011 bonus EP. I hardly think they did just the one track.

should sound great compared to the original vhs. Tokyo 85 should also be reworked

regardless of what may be in the pipeline, I think it's safe to assume that there won't be a major release for the christmas market?

hughe let down how they've marked the 50th....the re-release of GH, and a pop up store? extremely dissapointing, unless they drop a bomb shell within the next week or so....

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Ray wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:14 pmIf anything from that era, the Rock in Rio 85 one could get a proper official release with improved picture and audio quality.
Agreed. That's the only remaining 80s concert I'd really like to see released.

I don't really see why people clamour for Knebworth. Yeah, it was their last ever concert, but it's not like that was known or played up at the time - it was just another Magic Tour show, and we've already had three (and a third, if you count the silly On Air live disc) of those.
eiricd wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:57 amthere is the ONE song from Rio 85 that was remixed/remastered for the 2011 bonus EP. I hardly think they did just the one track.
Three tracks actually - two on the Works bonus EP and another on the movie soundtrack.

Plus at least one more song was released as part of the 2011 iTunes bonus videos, although I don't know if they were remastered in any way.

Kes

Post by Kes »

They put Hammer To Fall on a promo 12", when they released the video for Rock in Rio, too. Being fair, the sound quality on the video release, was a bit, err, blah.

The reason people clamour for Knebworth, is to redress the butchering done on Live Magic, as all but four tracks from other venues, were "edited" down for it, oh, and it was the last show Queen ever did. That means quite a bit.

Simple really, they release it, and do what they've done with most of the others, delete after six months.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Leigh Burne wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:15 am
Ray wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:14 pmIf anything from that era, the Rock in Rio 85 one could get a proper official release with improved picture and audio quality.
Agreed. That's the only remaining 80s concert I'd really like to see released.

I don't really see why people clamour for Knebworth. Yeah, it was their last ever concert, but it's not like that was known or played up at the time - it was just another Magic Tour show, and we've already had three (and a third, if you count the silly On Air live disc) of those.
eiricd wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:57 amthere is the ONE song from Rio 85 that was remixed/remastered for the 2011 bonus EP. I hardly think they did just the one track.
Three tracks actually - two on the Works bonus EP and another on the movie soundtrack.

Plus at least one more song was released as part of the 2011 iTunes bonus videos, although I don't know if they were remastered in any way.
I stand corrected!

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

Kes wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:46 pm They put Hammer To Fall on a promo 12", when they released the video for Rock in Rio, too. Being fair, the sound quality on the video release, was a bit, err, blah.

The reason people clamour for Knebworth, is to redress the butchering done on Live Magic, as all but four tracks from other venues, were "edited" down for it, oh, and it was the last show Queen ever did. That means quite a bit.

Simple really, they release it, and do what they've done with most of the others, delete after six months.
it is pretty much confirmed that Knewborth was done and ready to go in time for Qal's sonisphere appearence? Both of which were cancelled....

Ray

Post by Ray »

Starting to sound like they're sitting on multiple finished releases and just don't do anything with them... oO

Maybe if we buy less socks, they'll think about releasing music again.

agkelly

Post by agkelly »

It's been said numerous times over the years, I'm sure, but I suspect there may well be lots of cleaning up, mastering / remastering, ect, happening all the time, which all gets approved (or sent back to adjust / further improve) by the guys themselves, so that for when the time comes that they are no longer with us, that future releases (for years and years to come) is still up to their high standards.
I suspect that not everything that's been or being worked on is necessarily intended for release any time soon.

It's not like they need the money or fame right now, so it could be being set up for legacy and NOK benefit.

That all said, I can't see their families being left poor and out in the cold when the day comes that Brian and Roger depart this existence..!

Ray

Post by Ray »

agkelly wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:39 am It's been said numerous times over the years, I'm sure, but I suspect there may well be lots of cleaning up, mastering / remastering, ect, happening all the time, which all gets approved (or sent back to adjust / further improve) by the guys themselves, so that for when the time comes that they are no longer with us, that future releases (for years and years to come) is still up to their high standards.
I suspect that not everything that's been or being worked on is necessarily intended for release any time soon.

It's not like they need the money or fame right now, so it could be being set up for legacy and NOK benefit.

That all said, I can't see their families being left poor and out in the cold when the day comes that Brian and Roger depart this existence..!
I think the last sentence isn't a possibility period, even if they never release anything ever again. They have been super rich for decades and since their many old releases still sell, they will always earn money just from that. It's basically impossible for their families to be poor.

ON TOP OF THAT come the new releases we're talking about and though I get what you're saying that they work on projects to have them done, not necessarily to release them immediately, I think certain releases should be put out during times when the original fans are still alive. Fans who have with them since the 70s or 80s have been waiting already a long time and it would suck if releases they'd love to hear/see get only released in 20-40 years when it's maybe too late for many. Also I think those fans will be more interested in that than newer young fans who probably are just fine with the regular albums.

I don't know, I'm myself still rather young and can wait a few decades, and I know that Brian and Roger don't need to release anything from their point of view, but I think it would be nicer to give the fans from back then who are now about their age all that archive stuff that they've been waiting for for decades already, than just lots of merchandise, rereleases and collector's items. THOSE can be released anytime also in the future. It's just about priorities at this time.

Same goes for all other bands/musicians of that age. I can only shake my head knowing that some Hendrix stuff like the RAH concert still hasn't seen an official release after over 50 years, just because the people who have the rights are so greedy that there can't be any agreement until today. They even restored it in recent years and did a one time screening, but still no DVD/Blu-ray release in sight. Just as another example.

agkelly

Post by agkelly »

Oh, I agree with you 100%, Ray.
I'd LOVE to have a new item released every 6 or 12 months. Like you, I think they should release as much stuff as they can while they, and longtime fans, are still around and capable of enjoying them.

I just have a feeling they're setting their legacy up for the decades to come, and making sure it's all up to their high standards.

eiricd

Post by eiricd »

given what each of the guys are worth, it's safe to say that future generations are going to be wealthy for centuries to come.

why not cater to the die hards while we are still here?

A Greatest Hits type album will always reach an audience. It did 40 years ago, it does now, and it will in the future as well.

Hyde Park 76 though? That window is rapidly closing