Future Queen Live Release: Live Killers/Paris 1979 on DVD/Blu-ray

Friendly, general discussion about Queen
MusicalProstitute

Re: Future Queen Live Release: Live Killers/Paris 1979 on DVD/Blu-ray

Post by MusicalProstitute »

Young Music Fan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:18 pm Jim Jenkins hinted in the latest fan club magazine that whilst talking about Dreamers Ball live in Paris, that concert would make an excellent DVD/Blu-ray release.

I have always adored Live Killers and wanted a visual representation (well, obviously, with relevance to the material we actually have). This would be wonderful.

But, we know that there is no haste in Queen World - so we may see this in the next decade or so.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Some years ago when they started with Rainbow 74 I wondered maybe they'd release a 79 concert in 2019, as for the anniversary. But then I thought no, that would be still so many years away...lol, now we have almost 2021 and nothing has happened. It's weird how Live Killers was the album that got me into Queen, still a DVD of it is still the release I have to wait the longest for.

I'm still surprised they didn't release one of the 77 shows when that NOTW boxset was announced, especially since they finally released also that tour documentary from back then. That was such wonderful "new" video material, most in great quality...still they put it only in an expensive and limited boxset. What an almost waste. :roll:

Imagine a 77 live DVD with that documentary on a bonus disc (as with the Wembley and Bowl releases), not THAT would have been a great release and the documentary would have been seen by a lot more people.

Leigh Burne

Post by Leigh Burne »

Ray wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:48 pmI'm still surprised they didn't release one of the 77 shows when that NOTW boxset was announced, especially since they finally released also that tour documentary from back then.
I still can't quite believe Houston wasn't in the box, even if just in audio form.

Honestly it's about the only big anniversary box set I've seen released by anyone that didn't include at least some meaningful period live content (just odd tracks snipped from existing live albums recorded years later and still widely available separately).

The only other one that comes to mind was the G n' R Appetite box, which was a whole other level of disgraceful overpricing.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Leigh Burne wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:44 am
Ray wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:48 pmI'm still surprised they didn't release one of the 77 shows when that NOTW boxset was announced, especially since they finally released also that tour documentary from back then.
I still can't quite believe Houston wasn't in the box, even if just in audio form.

Honestly it's about the only big anniversary box set I've seen released by anyone that didn't include at least some meaningful period live content (just odd tracks snipped from existing live albums recorded years later and still widely available separately).

The only other one that comes to mind was the G n' R Appetite box, which was a whole other level of disgraceful overpricing.
Right, but that's unfortunately all GNR is still about today.

It really bugs me how bands like Queen and Led Zeppelin just "sit" on some of their material, some of their best concerts filmed in the 70s, doing nothing with it. Zeppelin also have complete concerts from 75, 77 and 79, all available as bootlegs in not the best quality. They restored some selected songs from the 75 and 79 shows in good quality for their "DVD" release back then, but that's it. Hours of great live performances just collecting dust in some archives. But yeah, give us the 87th compilation and rerelease of all the stuff we already know and have.

Wild Wind

Post by Wild Wind »

I'm not keen for live concerts, my interest is fading away.
If I do a look on what they have offered over the last (almost) 20 years is unsatisfy
Only the good releases were:
On fire
Live at the rainbow
News of the world (half well executed but still is OK)
Let me in your heart again and Love kills (better than nothing).

I give them my applause for Q&AL live tours which are much better than Q&PR.

The worst were BBC full of interviews and few live songs from broadcast.
Forever was a joke same for Budapest with the worst cover Freedie Godgila or Hammersmith with punching Freddie as a cover.

Why on earth they didn't include Houston in 2017boxset and November Hammersmith even as soundboard recording as extra in 2015 release.
Now they postpone into infinity The Miracle.

What I expect is 2021 Greathits type album with deep cuts. It is QPL with over 5000 tapes in their archives 😂

Kes

Post by Kes »

On the other side of the coin, you shouldn't expect anything, then you won't be disappointed if you don't get anything.

This is Queen we're talking about. Between the Freddie boxset in 2000, and the UMG record deal in 2011, what did you get? That was 11 years when we got... err, nothing actually springs to mind, at the moment. I'm sure they released something original like Milton Keynes or Montreal, but I'm struggling to think of anything groundbreaking.

Good Apothecary Man

Post by Good Apothecary Man »

These days I work on the assumption that there will be one major release a year, probably in the autumn. It is live stuff that really floats my boat. The Miracle box set seems a reasonable bet for 2021, which would push any live release back to 2022 at the earliest. I also assume that any Q+AL release will take precedence and push anything else even further back.

I was hoping for some sort of Live Killers package for the fortieth anniversary. Obviously, that didn't happen but must be at least a possibility for 2022. However, Brian has now made these remarks about the Imperial College tape(s). He says that he will have to talk to 'Rog' but would like them to see them released. Errrr ... yes, okay. I haven't listened to the full interview. I assume he is referring to 26 October and/or 2 November 1973. From the snippet I have heard, I am not sure he remembers that Golders Green is officially out there (well, most of it). Anyway, if it does come out it means that Hangman will probably see the official light of day for the first time.

Just looking at the photos on queenlive.com, I can't believe how much heavy makeup they are all wearing. That didn't last long.

Young Music Fan

Post by Young Music Fan »

I believe that the show Brian may be referring to is this one:

https://www.queenlive.ca/queen/70-08-23.htm

He talked about playing to selective people and providing refreshments themselves. I suspect that it may have been recorded by John Harris as it's been rumoured before that he taped early Queen shows.

Good Apothecary Man

Post by Good Apothecary Man »

Young Music Fan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:15 pm I believe that the show Brian may be referring to is this one:

https://www.queenlive.ca/queen/70-08-23.htm

He talked about playing to selective people and providing refreshments themselves. I suspect that it may have been recorded by John Harris as it's been rumoured before that he taped early Queen shows.
Good point. Now that would be very very interesting. I would take my hat off to the production team if they got something like that up to official-release quality sound-wise.

Hutchence

Post by Hutchence »

this is the snippet where he's talking about it