Friendly, general discussion about Queen
Tatterdemalion

Brit Awards 1990

Post by Tatterdemalion »

Just noticed it was 30 years ago to the day today. Kinda sad watching it again

Cool Cat

Re: Brit Awards 1990

Post by Cool Cat »

Nice seeing that again, wow where did those 30 years go? :?

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

That is so bittersweet. I'm so proud that they were finally recognised, but it's still hard to see Freddie's like that even now, but it's a testament to Freddie's courage. A testament to some kick ass music too :)

Frank

Post by Frank »

Thanks for sharing that. I've seen it many times, and each time I feel so proud. Proud of their achievements, and also proud of Freddie for his strength and courage. And btw, some of you say it feels like yesterday...well I'm gonna be that guy and tell you I was only 3 years old at the time. Lol

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Frank wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:14 pm Thanks for sharing that. I've seen it many times, and each time I feel so proud. Proud of their achievements, and also proud of Freddie for his strength and courage. And btw, some of you say it feels like yesterday...well I'm gonna be that guy and tell you I was only 3 years old at the time. Lol

It was literally half a lifetime ago for me. I remember thinking how ill Freddie looked and was filled with a sense of dread.

MyHumanZoo

Post by MyHumanZoo »

I always hate seeing this too, Freddie looked so ill and unhappy. One thing I never understood, is why he didn’t get a suit made that fit him better...I know he’d lost lots of weight, but that oversized suit really emphasized it. If the sleeves had been shortened a bit and the shoulders taken in (not to mention maybe make it in a color that didn’t emphasize his paleness). Maybe it was a last minute decision to attend and there wasn’t time to adjust it, but with his resources it seems something could have been done. It just makes the image of him all the more difficult to see.

Dave

Post by Dave »

So sad. There are lots of pictures of this night and he looks knackered. Apparently he didn't want to go.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

MyHumanZoo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:02 pm I always hate seeing this too, Freddie looked so ill and unhappy. One thing I never understood, is why he didn’t get a suit made that fit him better...I know he’d lost lots of weight, but that oversized suit really emphasized it. If the sleeves had been shortened a bit and the shoulders taken in (not to mention maybe make it in a color that didn’t emphasize his paleness). Maybe it was a last minute decision to attend and there wasn’t time to adjust it, but with his resources it seems something could have been done. It just makes the image of him all the more difficult to see.
I don't dare to assume what Freddie was feeling, but some people I knew who were terminally ill wore bigger clothes because they thought it made them look more filled out, and it's easier, ore comfortable in some cases to wear looser clothing than tight clothing.
Things I wish I didn't know.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Pretty sure I read somewhere that he wore loose fitting clothing as he was in intense pain which was exacerbated by clothing rubbing against his skin.

Wings of Butterflies

Post by Wings of Butterflies »

Picard wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 pm Pretty sure I read somewhere that he wore loose fitting clothing as he was in intense pain which was exacerbated by clothing rubbing against his skin.
Yes, the size of the suit was a combination of keeping the rubbing down and hiding the layers of underwear to keep warm. He had no body fat to do that for him by that stage.
In hindsight, he knew any words he spoke were probably his last in public & he wanted to look ' dapper' no doubt. He loved to please his fans.

In the end , terminal patients worry more about their effect on others than their own suffering.